Tgtack

Small battery size?

Tgtack

Have a 654 with the small battery tray, what size/model battery to fit it? Have a new U1 on the shelf but way to big.

• Sad 1

953 nut

Have never seen a :wh: that couldn't use a lawn and garden battery unless the engine has been changed out causing interference.

ebinmaine

I haven't seen one personally but I've heard of people putting bigger engines in the short frame tractor and needing to use a very narrow motorcycle battery.

You may need to take some length and width and height clearance measurements and bring what you have to the parts store.

Tgtack

It is stock with correct engine, just need know which battery people using with the small battery tray.

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Tgtack said:

It is stock with correct engine, just need know which battery people using with the small battery tray.

My honeys 657 uses a U1- 7

I know your tractor is 3 years older and I don't know if that - 7 means something.

• Like 1

953 nut

I just looked in thee manuals section and your 654  battery tray part number is 4953 and the part number for my 1055 which uses a regular lawn and garden battery is 4953, same part!

You will have to remove the brake peddle rod to allow the peddle to drop down out of the way.

• Like 2

Tgtack

Well measured the tray and went to Wally world, and low and behold, the U1 battery I already have is the same dimensions, so good to go. I must have been thinking about the full sized battery in the 1276.

• Like 2

Sarge

I did the exact same thing - the older mid 60's used a 22NF battery that had a larger footprint and was much taller as well. Go price one for the 1276 - not a cheap battery size, either..lol.

Sarge