dclarke

'67 Lawn Ranger for the grandkids

dclarke
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:

Unless you used hardener I would let it dry a week or longer. The decals can trap solvents under them and cause the paint to lift.

Good advice, Richard and Randy. Thanks! 

Shynon

As always top notch, looks great Denny:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, dclarke said:

made a heat shield

I like that idea. Most of my tractors will have stacks. How did you do that?

dclarke
41 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I like that idea. Most of my tractors will have stacks. How did you do that?

My stack is 3” diameter, I used a piece of 16 ga. (I think) metal cut to about 5” x 12”. Heated it a little with a heat gun then formed it around a 3” plastic pipe coupling that measures 4” O. D. Once I had the shape I wanted I cut it to size and drilled a couple of 1/4” holes in it.  I used a 1/4” coupling nut cut in half then shortened each half a little to get the spacing I wanted and welded the nuts to the stack. I did bolt the nuts to the shield and tack them to the stack while it was on the tractor then removed the stack and welded the nuts. 

1D7E8FA3-6AF5-4600-83B0-C423B5E05D50.jpeg

EDC40CD5-03BB-4355-A88D-70ACA2BAC6DD.jpeg

9C8778E0-9EAE-4FC4-BD50-0C7611997468.jpeg

19FD0649-8E4E-43B9-B14D-0D6B224EE7B1.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

953 nut
6 hours ago, dclarke said:

This project is done. 

Not quite done!      :ychain:                    Don't see any Grand kids riding on it.                                :wwp:

• Like 3

dtallon

That tractor turned out fantastic.  I can't wait to see the next one. 

You have inspired me to work some on my Ranger 8-speed project, and I am quickly gaining appreciation for the little modifications you did.  What pulley did you use for the transmission input pulley?  I did some measuring and the 2.5" engine / 4" trans pulley set on the Ranger is approximately the same ratio as the 4" engine / 6.5" trans that the 312-8 I got the transmission from had.  Unfortunately I can't just swap over the trans pulley from the Ranger because it has a 3/4" input shaft and the 8-speed has a 5/8" shaft.  

Dave

Edited by dtallon

dclarke
1 hour ago, dtallon said:

What pulley did you use for the transmission input pulley?  I did some measuring and the 2.5" engine / 4" trans pulley set on the Ranger is approximately the same ratio as the 4" engine / 6.5" trans that the 312-8 I got the transmission from had.  Unfortunately I can't just swap over the trans pulley from the Ranger because it has a 3/4" input shaft and the 8-speed has a 5/8" shaft.  

Dave

Dave, the input pulley on this one measures 4 or 4 1/4"" it's kinda hard to measure now and the engine pulley is 2 1/2". This tranny has 1" axles and the pulley came with the tranny, I think this input shaft is 5'8". In the past I have used the Maska 4" pulley pictured below on a 5/8" input shaft, I did have to modify it a little but it worked great. I ground the hub down to fit the length of the shaft and had to drill and tap new set screw holes, which I had to drill on a slight angle. I'll use this pulley on my next Ranger project if I can't find a pulley like the one I have on this Ranger. 

DSC07308.JPG

Pullstart

Awesome job!

• Thanks 1

dclarke
On 8/24/2018 at 3:54 PM, 953 nut said:

Not quite done!      :ychain:                    Don't see any Grand kids riding on it.                                :wwp:

Here ya go Richard. He loves it! 

A72813F7-E456-4503-A54D-3594C5F46694.jpeg

DE8DAEE6-5C96-4A9D-ABF9-7B8D102A0130.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 7

ebinmaine

Two clear-cut championship-winning calendar shots right there

• Like 3

prondzy

Wow Denny that looks nice! I have been plugging away at the kids Lawn Ranger and now have a few ideas for the gas tank mount thanks to yours. Did you use the stock Throttle/Choke cables or did you buy longer ones and modify?

dclarke
50 minutes ago, prondzy said:

Did you use the stock Throttle/Choke cables or did you buy longer ones and modify?

Mike, I had to get longer cables, here’s how I ran the throttle cable. 

06ACF82F-D23A-440C-B807-3A26B15B6B42.jpeg

• Like 2

Shynon
On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:02 AM, dclarke said:

Here ya go Richard. He loves it! 

A72813F7-E456-4503-A54D-3594C5F46694.jpeg

DE8DAEE6-5C96-4A9D-ABF9-7B8D102A0130.jpeg

Looks like one happy camper, Great Job Denny:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

rmaynard

:bow-yellow: Great job Denny. I only wish I had half the fabricating skill that you have. 

• Thanks 1

prondzy
On 9/8/2018 at 10:04 AM, dclarke said:

Mike, I had to get longer cables, here’s how I ran the throttle cable. 

06ACF82F-D23A-440C-B807-3A26B15B6B42.jpeg

Ok last question Denny, where did you find those throttle cable clamps.They look like nice ones and i havent found any good ones yet.

dclarke
3 hours ago, prondzy said:

Ok last question Denny, where did you find those throttle cable clamps.They look like nice ones and i havent found any good ones yet.

Mike,  the cable clamp bolted to the engine I found in my Dad’s auto parts store back in the 70s. They sold and serviced push mowers back in the 50s and 60s and it was a leftover part from that. I had a few of them at one time but this is the last one I have. The clamp up by the governor was in my junk drawer too. Not sure where it came from. 

• Haha 1