bumpsteer

C101 tran drain

bumpsteer

Thought I would do so maint on this tractor since its new to me. Don't see a drain plug on bottom only the pipe plug on left side ( see photo) Is this where you drain?. Also when I pulled out the dip stick it was bent in an L shape never seen anything like it before. Is it sposed to be? and one other thing brake lining was shot.  Thanks 

Doug

DSCN0601.JPG

DSCN0602.JPG

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

The drain plug is under the trans it's a 1/4" Allen plug. It's flush so if you jack it up it won't be damaged. And no the dipstick is not supposed to be bent it should be straight. Just carefully straighten it back out and it should work fine. When your drain the trans Jack the front of the tractor up to allow it to drain better there's a hump in the trans that holds oil if you don't tilt it. Go to the vendor section and we have a vendor that sells those brake linings . Looks like you broke the band that holds the lining. Here's a link to the lining .

Edited by BOB ELLISON
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Seems like Bob has you covered, glad to see everyone keeping up with maintenance.

bumpsteer

Yep tranny fluid is draining now found that drain plug under the tow hitch easy to get out thankfully. Ordered the brake lining just now. have a new air filter on the way, and need to check valves and clean and reset points. One reason I got this tractor for a good price is that the PO rebuilt the K241AS and it is still smoking so I am trying to find the reason. Have not pulled the CC breather off yet and I may have to pull the head to see if any scoring in the cylinder. he said he did not think he cracked a ring and I guess he knew to space the ring gap but then its not that heave of smoking. Ill keep surching.

Doug

• Like 3

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, bumpsteer said:

the PO rebuilt the K241AS and it is still smoking so I am trying to find the reason.

You are clearly headed the right direction.

I've never rebuilt a Kohler but I've read that it can take 25 hours run time or more for the rings to seat right.

I'll follow along and see what you find.

Please keep us posted.

Racinbob

Probably not the reason but something to think about. Kohler recommends straight 30w in their K-series and that using a multigrade can cause oil consumption. I've always used 30w in the summer and 10w30 in the winter. That always worked fine in my K341 but this past winter it was smoking pretty bad on the initial start up. I didn't think about the oil viscosity until I went back to straight 30w this spring. The smoking stopped. :think:

• Excellent 1

clueless

Had a C-81, Kohler k181, 10w30 smoked, 30w no smoke.