jellyghost

1974 B-80 vs C-Series

jellyghost

I have been looking at a 1974 B-80.  It has an 8hp horizontal Kohler and the Tach-o-matic.  Is it compatible with all attachments?  Is the transmission different?  Tractor Data says that it has 6 speeds instead of 8.  Is there something lower quality about this partical B series tractor?

rmaynard

1-0140, B-80 4-Speed Tractor, 1974

1-0145, B-80 4-Speed Tractor, 1974

Both 1974 models had 4-speed transmissions. Each came with Tach-o-matic hitches making them compatible with most accessories from 1973 on.

BOB ELLISON

1974 and 75 came with a 4 speed. The 76 came with a 8 speed or some say a 6 speed but a 6 speed is a 8 speed 4 low and 4 high. 6 forward and 2 reverse. Depends on who says it but there both the same. If it's a 74 someone may have changed it to a 8 speed. The B80 is a great tractor just as capable to handle anything. I have a 76 8 speed and it's a very good tractor. The 4 speeds are every bit as tough as 8 speeds.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

I have a B-80 that the ID makes it a 1975, but it also has the hi/low shifter.

It also has a S/G so I know it is somewhat of a "Franken-Tractor", but it is still a working piece of machine!

jellyghost

So the only cost savings they probably did on the 74 b80 was to eliminate the hi-low option?  That what it looks like to me.  A 8hp C would be the same except for the hi-low.

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, jellyghost said:

So the only cost savings they probably did on the 74 b80 was to eliminate the hi-low option?  That what it looks like to me.  A 8hp C would be the same except for the hi-low.

In 1974, 1975 the B frame was about 2-3/4 inches shorter than the C and the B's were all 4 speeds.

I don't believe there was a Hydro option for a B.

I'm also under the impression that in those years the B was a Max 8 or maybe 10 HP. The C Started at 10. No small blocks I've seen listed those years.

There were optional differences between the two as well. Seats and steering wheels and such.

Others can answer what those are.

As far as recommending buying a B that era... Absolutely!!

My B is a 74.

Granted there are some things I've changed like tire sizes and a smaller engine pulley... But I love that tractor.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

TDF5G

The B-80 is the same heavy frame tractor as the C series.  The earlier ones as mentioned above have a slightly shorter frame, but all the B,C,300,400 attachments will fit.  

• Like 1