CountryRock

416H blowing fuses

CountryRock

Local game club that I belong to has a 416H that keeps blowing fuses during operation.  It will run/mow for a while and then the 25 amp fuse will blow and the tractor dies.  The problem started last year and we cleaned up a bunch of electrical connections which seemed to take care of the problem for the year.  Today I just learned that it's happening again.  What do I need to look at to remedy this issue.

IMG_20180616_182048217.jpg

IMG_20180616_173502731_HDR.jpg

Edited by CountryRock

lynnmor

You didn't say which fuse.  My best guess is the 25 amp one and the likely short is in the vicinity of the seat switch.  Download the Demystify Guide  here.

• Like 1

CountryRock

I'm not quite sure which it is, but I think it is the 25.  I kinda remember them putting a 30 in it's place.  I'll get that guide and probably go look at it this weekend.

rmaynard

Your problem is probably in the fuse block. Pull it out and inspect it. If in doubt, replace it. Bad design. Water can get into it and cause lots of problems,

• Like 2

CountryRock

I'll check that too.  Thanks.

gwest_ca

It could be worn wire insulation and the last time it was worked on disturbed it's location.

Wires against the steering shaft are a common fault. It will wear a flat spot in the insulation which is hard to find. In the center of the flat spot can be an almost invisible wire core but enough to blow a fuse. Before you rip things apart look for possible locations this can happen and then go after them. It may require removing the battery to get a good look.

Garry 

• Like 1

CountryRock

I made a mistake.  It is a 416H, not a 520H.  Took a quick look at it today.  Didn't see any bad wires in the open. Cleaned up the seat switch connection. I need to put it on the jack and check under the body panels more.  It was full of debris so we blew it out the best we could around the transaxle.  I want to take it home and give it some well deserved tlc.  It's kinda rough.  Pics in the original post.

gwest_ca

Garry

• Like 1