Bill Sherman

1979 fuel tank leak

Bill Sherman

I recently purchased a 1979 C161 automatic.  I'm checking it over and cleaning it up.  This tractor has been stored indoors it's entire life and it looks like it too.  When I removed the fuel tank there was a small amount of what smelled like old gas. and it was slightly wet around the metal threaded part embedded in the plastic.  I'm not sure if it is leaking ever so slightly or if gas had been spilled at some point in time.  Does anybody know if the metal ferrule goes all the way through the tank or not?  Thank you very much.  Below is a picture of the ferrule I'm talking about.  It seems to be leaking around it.

Tank.jpg

Edited by Bill Sherman
Added picture

posifour11

Pictures will help us troubleshoot the problem. 

Sparky

Do you mean the fuel shutoff on the bottom of the tank? Its not threaded but rather "barbed" and its stuck into a rubber grommet. Best bet would be to order a new rubber grommet and the fuel shutoff. The shutoff has a filter screen that protrudes into the tank and I would think after 39 years its ready to be changed.

• Like 2

Bill Sherman

No, the threaded ferrule on the bottom where the tank gets bolted to the metal frame.  There are two that are molded into the plastic.  I was curious if they go all the way through into the tank where it could potentially leak.  I’m at work right now but I’ll take a picture of it in the morning. 

gwest_ca

Tractor 1979 C-161 Twin Auto.jpg

jay bee

I had a tank with this same problem, only much worse than you're describing.  Mine leaked real bad.  I tried a few remedies with epoxies and other things that said they could be used with fuel, but it still leaked.  Then I used a good dose of Seal All around the "nutsert" or whatever it is called.  Problem solved!!!  Just be careful not to tighten those bolts too tight.  You can purchase this at any hardware store.

Image result for seal all adhesive

Edited by jay bee
  • Like 1