johnnymag3

What Horse, and how old

WVHillbilly520H

I bought my first :wh: brand new (a left over) Anniversary 520H in March 1998, I was 26 at the time and traded a Cub Cadet in on it still left me with a $6300 price tag with only a 48" deck an I've gathered up snow plowing/blowing equipment and tiller through the years and still own it today, as well as 2 more 520s (sold 1) and a 523Dxi and 520xi (sold both xi), maybe if I could talk my old dealer in a price I would be willing to pay he still has an (NOS) unsold 522xi  that I wouldn't mind having yet, Jeff.

100_0464.JPG

IMAG2479.jpg

IMAG2990.jpg

• Like 4

TDF5G

My Dad owned Wheel Horses, so I grew up with them (see the Vintage Pics thread).  The first of my very own was a 68 Commando 8 I got from my uncle around 1993.  I don't even remember what I paid him for it.  Had to overhaul it.

IMG_3791.JPG

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 5

johnnymag3

Its truly awesome to see all of your tractors, hear all of the stories, good and bad.....

The vintage photos bring back wonderful memories. I guess Wheel Horse tractors have indeed proven their readiness, and dependability through the years.

Keep the posts coming, they are truly a testament as to how much we love that "Darn Good Red Machine"

• Thanks 1

953 nut

My first recollection of loving a :wh: was at a lawn and garden show when my dad was looking at a new RJ-35 in '57. I was twelve years old and looking forward to riding around cutting the lawn and cultivating the garden. It was a bit more than dad could afford so he bought a walk behind rototiller and I was walking behind it and the mower;  what a letdown.

Fast forward to about twenty years ago living in Florida and the wife and I bought a piece of property that was going to need to be mowed and a bit of fill dirt moved. I went to the Florida Flywheelers Show with a friend and found a :wh: 1055 with a 36" deck, grader blade and a cart for $ 350, love at first sight. It did everything I could ask and I developed a great deal of respect for the quality product the Ponds had given us.

A few months later the same friend was visiting family in Ohio and called me about a :wh: 953 that was part of an estate sale up there. At the time I had no idea what a 953 looked like, but took his word that it was cool. It wasn't running but the price was right ( $ 200 with a deck) so I bought it sight unseen and he delivered it a couple days later. Had no spark so I cleaned the points, still no spark, took the coil from the 1055 and the 953 fired right up and ran fine.    :woohoo:

I have added a few to the herd since then including the '57 RJ-35 I never got as a boy, it is a project. I have also added several more 953s, a GT-14 with loader,310-8,  418-C, and a couple '58 RJ projects. That first 953 is as found without any paint to speak of and I have no intention of changing a thing. The 1055 has been my go to snow plow machine for the past dozen years but it may get a fresh coat of paint some day.

HPIM0168.JPG.0e402fa98b2c6e0604b80a74ee4ba09e.JPG

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Zeek

This Raider 12 I bought in 2010 that began the hobby for me . . . I restored it and sold it to a guy in Indiana last year who wanted that specific model cause his dad had one.

The way I bought it . . .

DSC05676.JPG.e823e2109a5cf02281aba24065594671.JPG

The day it left my house . . .

20170507_100726.jpg.ba593e8b2089939cd1041cadb6c6336b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1