johnnymag3

What Horse, and how old

johnnymag3

So........im wondering who had what and when, and it goes like this------

what was your first horse.....what year was it, how old  (or young were you ) when you bought it.

What was the price ?

Is it still in your stable ?

what horse are you still looking for ?

Love this site       John

Sparky

Mine was a 701, it was free, got it around 2000 or 2001. I kick myself now for selling it at one of the WH Shows...maybe 5 years after I got it. 

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

1982 C-105

Free from my brother

One and only - still in use...

• Like 4

rjg854

Mine was a 68 Commando 8, paid  $100 for it 4 years ago.  I was 60 at that time,  I'll probably never get rid of it, I put way to much into it. It's way to hard to get rid of any of them,. I have 5 at the moment. 

• Like 5

Achto

Mine first :wh: was my 1076. I bought it in 2014 with plans to do a custom job on it, but it was too complete to chop it up.

Initial cost for it was $100. Won't discuss how much $ that I have into it after the restoration

It will be at the auction that my wife or son have after I kick the bucket.

Still looking for a RJ, plus a few others.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3

paxz71usa

1973 12 Automatic, paid $200.00 and probably have around $250.00 in it for parts and repairs. Mostly deck the deck and electric clutch coil. Wouldn't give it up. Mowing for my Father-in-law using his newer John Deere D105. There is no comparison, the 45 year old Wheel Horse is hands down the best tractor I've ever used! :wh:

:USA: Gary

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

1972 Commando 800 , got it when my Dad died in 1991. Still have it but the motor died so it is a roller . Have 3 others.

• Like 4

chip61

I had been trying to buy my neighbor's worn out 310-8. One day he came over and asked if I would be interested in a 314-8 that he found under a carport covered with a tarp at a friend's house. His friend told him what he wanted ($150.00) which I agreed to-sight unseen. Next thing I know my neighbor had borrowed a trailer and brought it to me! No battery and 3 flat tires but everything else was there and the sheet metal and paint were in excellent shape. 1996 model with 298 hours on the clock! I think it was 2013 when I got it so I would have been 52 and it will be the last tractor I get rid of. Somehow I now have 5 in addition to this one. Still not sure how that happened :rolleyes:

Growing up my dad's friend had a 1267 which we borrowed often and I would like to find a 1067 or 1267 one of these days.

• Like 4

wallfish

My first was/is a 1987 416-8 with FEL (got lucky). Bought in 2006 for about $1800.00 to move some earth and flatten the backyard. That's the one that started the obsession after searching around the net and finally landing here on RS. Never even heard of a Wheel Horse before that. Still have it and upgraded it with a backhoe attachment. After that, found me an RJ-58 which I still have. Many little round hoods have come an gone since. Still have 2 RJs, 400,401,654,855,416-8, 418-C and 1 custom.

• Like 5

Racinbob

My addiction started in 1960 at the age of 5 when my dad brought home a new Suburban 400. He went on to buy a new 704 and then a 1970 Raider 12. I got married in 1975 and bought a Suburban 551 and then a new 1976 B-80 which I converted to a C-160. A short time later we built a house and 46 x 56 pole barn on 26 acres and I accumulated about a dozen and more parts and attachments than many dealers. That was all well before the craziness hit. The move to Florida saw me selling everything and I was without a :wh: for a spell before finding a 2005 Classic GT with 100 hours in 2009. I found a Suburban 400 down there and restored it. Then I was given a 657 and a 500 Special that were really parts machines. I used both tractors to build a nice 500 Special. The move back home to Indiana saw those 3 tractors come with me and, much to my amazement, I re-aquired my 1976 that I had bought new. Those 4 won't be going anyplace until I'm no longer able to enjoy them. I'm hoping to find something that trips my trigger at the big show to bring home to join them. :)

• Like 6

T-Mo

1979 C-141 Automatic, traded for it July 2007.  Then in August of that year, bought a 1998 314-8.  Those are both long gone now, but I have a few others now, all pretty much older ones.

• Like 4

Mikey the Monkey

1976 c-120. Bought new by my grandfather Sam. I first drove it in 1993 at age of 8, inherited it in 2001. Still have it. Just had our first son in February. Named him Sam, here he is on his great grandfather's c120. I'm always on the lookout for a c-160

KIMG0242.jpg

KIMG0243.jpg

• Like 8

ezeastside

520-H  August 2009 and I was 44.

It cost me $500. Came with a 60" deck and was an intermittent runner.

That's when I came here and started to read old posts!!

Still have it today, many have come since and some have left but not my first!!

I would love to own a 420LSE or Super "C"

Thank You Red Square!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

Mike'sHorseBarn

1969 Work Horse 700 in 2000 when I was 10. It was given to me by my grandmother after my grandfather died. 

I still have and will have it until the day I'm put in the ground. I have a love hate relationship with Tecumseh engine in it though lol

Next horse on the list is a C-160 auto once i get the cash to buy one.

Mike

• Like 7

ELECTRORIC

Got a RJ59 in 1981 I was 26 it was free had a broken axle tube but it ran still have it plus 10 other Wheel Horse's

• Like 5

ricksrj58

mine was a rj-58 that my grandfather bought new,my father grew up mowing and plowing with it and so did i.it became mine when i was in my teens,i am 45 now. 

• Like 6

moe1965

My first horse is a 65 mustang if I can count that. I still have it.  A raider 10 was my first wheel horse about 5 years ago. 35.00 on a on line auction. My first restoration project that I still have.  The start of my addiction. I have bought and sold a few others. The only other one I still have is a 79 c141 auto. 

20171213_171744_001.jpg

20180527_155024.jpg

• Like 6

CasualObserver

In the summer of 2003 I was 27, and my soon-to-be-wife and I had just bought our first house when we came to the sudden conclusion we needed to mow! Since all funds were mostly going into the new house and our upcoming nuptials, I looked around and found a deal. Having grown up with mostly John Deere and Wheel Horse those were my focus. With some connections I managed to find a buy a freshly repainted 1968 Commando 8 for the low low price of 2 Benjamins. Served us well as a lawn mower for a couple years.

commando.jpg

Yes, it's still around and does some annual garden duty plowing and harrowing the garden at my parents' place back in IL at the moment. It will likely never leave, and will probably at some point get a full restoration and preservation. 

As for any tractors I'm looking for?.... no tractors at the moment. Have more than I can store in one place already. Mostly looking for oddball and rare attachments to add to the collection.

• Like 4

posifour11

2011, I was flush (first time in my life) with money from my deployment. We had bought 30 acres and I wanted a real garden tractor. I was actually looking for an old Sears ( because that's what dad had) when I came across my C-125. I was 31. Now, I have a few workers and more parts/project tractors. My "bucket list" attachments that I have yet to find are a FEL, mid mount grader and the generator. 

• Like 5

ri702bill

Mine was, and is a 1962 702 that my father-in-law bought used in 1965. It was used as a 4 season machine - cutting 1+ acres of grass, working in the 100 x 100 garden, and plowing snow around the home and business. He passed away in 1992, when I got it, it was pretty used up. Been working on it since, can't bring myself to lose the original patina & dents. Maybe just new decals.

The first of my 5 Round Hoods .........

Bill

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Shea Worden

When I was 13 (2 years ago) I spent all my money, $500, on my first tractor, a wheel horse c81. I have spent $ 600 on tires, attachments, paints, and other replacement parts. I also have been given a craftsman tractor, an LT1000. I have to get a new engine for that tractor. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Dadlife520H

1991, I was born, grandfather started taking me for rides on his 1987 520H when I was 3 months old.  My father had a 1988 312-8 which he used at least an hour a day. Every day. 

5 years ago I bought my first, 1991 312-8. 

Grandfather and father  have both passed. I now have all 3. And I'm always looking for more.   

Took my 4 month old son for his first ride the other day. He likes my tractors, even though his mom doesn't......:no:

edit:  Grandfather bought his new, I have the bill of sale some place. he traded in a competitor, got the 520h with snow blower, tiller, and 48" deck. Still paid around $5000. 

Father bought his from a customer of his for $100 42sd mower and 38" blower. 

I bought mine for $250 with a 42"sd and "help" spray painted on the hood. 

Edited by Dadlife520H
Slow thinker
  • Like 6

Cee245

"First" one was 1991 when my Dad bought our 416-8. 

My 2 yrs older brother and I, not knowing destroyed the tranny. ( lots of shifting hard fro. 2nd to 3rd and vice versa when going down a WAY PLUS 15 degree grade.

Still have it. Rebuilt tranny of course 

Edited by Cee245
  • Like 5

Lee1977

I was first introduced to Wheel Horse in 1959. Was washing and polishing cars at my cousins car lot. He pick up this Wheel Horse that we used to keep the property mowed. I built my house in 1974 and finished the yard a couple years later.  Needed something to mow with as I had a acre and 3/4. Went straight to the local Wheel Horse Dealer and bought a C-120 with a 48" deck that was in 1977. Still using it 41 years later, It's been highly modified with an 18 HP Briggs Vanguard, five lug trailer hubs and wheels with 6 ply rated tires, 2" receiver hitch, the clutch shaft and the PTO shaft have oilite bushing installed. The front axle pivot and pin has been up graded, the tie rods have heims joints and the lower steering shaft was replace with one that has a castellated nut to adjust the fan gear.

• Like 4

squonk

Dad bought a brand new 604 in 64. I wasn't allowed to run it until 68. My avatar is my first day. We sold it with the house in 77. We went thru 4 Tecky's with that tractor. We had a big yard! :)

Edited by squonk
  • Like 7