McGrew

I Inherited Dad's Tractor

Sparky

Yep! Your dad would be proud of how well his Wheel Horse was being taken care of!

Any pics of it before it was painted up?

McGrew

Sparky,  No, I don't have any "before" pictures.  I think Mom (who turns 101 in December) may have some in her collection.  I will have to ask.  Regarding the condition, a couple of the things my Dad taught me:  1)  Buy good equipment  and 2) take care of it and it will take care of you.  Dad did not baby this tractor, but it was always stored inside and got regular maintenance.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

BOB ELLISON

Welcome to Redsqure @McGrew

That is one fine looking wheel horse. 

I like the bump on the hood it looks much better then a hole as I have seen on others. I like the Raider 10 or 14 in this case and the design was very nice.

It will last another 47 years. Great job by your brother and that it was your father's makes it very personal to you.

• Like 1

Achto

:WRS: Very nice tractor!

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-welcomeconfetti:to THE PLACE for all things Wheel Horse!  Glad you found us and thanks for posting pics of that beautiful   :wh: and sharing some of the back story.  It is so awesome that it has been in your family this long and is continuing to be cared for. Your dad definitely would be proud of its care yet today.  It reminds me of my dad’s 875 which he has owned for about 43 years. Have fun looking around but beware—the more you get to know about these little red machines, the more addictive they become.  It is almost impossible to own only one!:D

• Excellent 3

WHX??

:WRS:

Nice tractor and thanks for sharing!

2 hours ago, McGrew said:

some billet steel hubs I am making.

Make some extras and you will make some friends here :)

• Like 2

TDF5G

:WRS:

McGrew

Gentlemen,  Thank you for the warm welcome!  Regarding the hubs I am machining, I have some concerns about the steel I am using.  I believe it to be 1018, but since it was a scrap piece, I cannot be sure.  This tractor will be used regularly, but will not see the heavy duty use it got with my Dad.  I may put the plow on and make a few passes for my wife's garden, but that will be about the extent of it.  I fear the keyway in the new hubs may not hold up?  I do have a couple of options.  I can case harden the whole hub after it is fully machined,  or I can sleeve the hub with a harder (4140?) steel.  If you notice in the picture, the hubs are MUCH beefier than the stock cast iron ones, and will  easily accept a sleeve.  When I was machining them, I thought "who needs wheel weights if you make your hubs heavy enough"!   They are not done, but this is where I am now.  Please give me your thoughts!  

One other thing, the tractor looks a LOT better in the pictures than it does in person!  I has lots of "character"...  But this is a working tractor, not a show piece.  Thanks for all the input!

hub1.jpg

hub2.jpg

• Excellent 5

KC9KAS

@McGrew :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Nice looking tractor, and you have all the history on it too!

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, WHX19 said:

Make some extras ((hubs))  and you will make some friends here :)

Boy that's for sure !!

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

T-Mo

Good story, and good that you and your brother both took care of your dad's tractor for so long.  I also, kind of like the hood bump.

• Like 1

lynnmor

Be sure to put two set screws in the hubs and a flat for the second screw on the axle.  I believe that you will be OK with the 1018 unless they see some extreme duty.  Check the tightness of the set screws regularly.  One downside of 1018 (cold-rolled steel) is that it will rust much faster than an alloy steel, so be sure to use anti-seize on the axles.

• Thanks 1

Daddy Don

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Tractor boy

:text-welcomeconfetti:

wallfish

:WRS: and thanks for sharing the story of your horse.

That hood scoop doesn't look bad at all. When reading I thought "oh boy" but seems he did a good job making it look good.

I see it also has the electric lift upgrade and a nice custom weight bar for the front.

• Like 1

McGrew

Thank you for all the positive comments.  Lynnmor, yes, I intend to use two setscrews at 90*, and either put a flat on the axle or drill a small indent.  I will also put a flat on the hub for the locknuts.  Yes,the hood scoop...  When I got the tractor it was gloss black and stuck out like a sore thumb...  The (almost) matching paint made it blend better.  I think I am actually starting to like it too!  FWIW, my Brother told me the scoop came off the Bolens tractor he took the engine from.   Wall fish, the attachment on the front is actually a hitch mount.  Dad made it because he had trouble turning around when moving boats and trailers around.  He made it so you could still open the hood with a 2” ball attached.  It might work as a weight bar too!

rjg854

I'd also like to :text-welcomeconfetti: U   2  :rs:

real sharp looking tractor and a nice legacy to maybe even pass on to one of your own kids one day