dannyj74

1978 c81 with a k181

dannyj74

Hi new to the group.

I just picked up a C81 that needs alot of tlc.

The wiring harness has been butchered pretty bad. Are there any aftermarket ones I could purchase?

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti: @dannyj74

I'm not sure if there are harness kits available. It's fairly easy to rewire manually.

There are a couple great schematic diagrams floating around made / modified by our members.

I can send one later today but someone else will likely beat me to it.

Best advice for electrical work on these tractors.... Clean EVERYTHING electric.

Bad ground is likely what caused the previous owner to shred your harness.

• Like 2

dannyj74

You are correct, After finding the electrical drawings I was able to see the where the issues were. I was pleased to her it run after setting for several years. 

What i found was several misplaced wiring, missing wiring the wrong ignition switch and the points where stuck. took me about a day to get it all lined out. 

Now Im in the process of replacing worn out parts. Is there a manual that shows interchangeability lets say a steering stem from a c81 is the same on a d80? 

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, dannyj74 said:

You are correct, After finding the electrical drawings I was able to see the where the issues were. I was pleased to her it run after setting for several years. 

What i found was several misplaced wiring, missing wiring the wrong ignition switch and the points where stuck. took me about a day to get it all lined out.

Now Im in the process of replacing worn out parts. Is there a manual that shows interchangeability lets say a steering stem from a c81 is the same on a d80? 

Good to hear you're up and cooking.

I don't personally know about the interchange stuff but the guys at A to Z tractor might be able to help you.

dannyj74

Thanks for your assistance. Once I took the challenge of learning the components I couldn't stop till i heard it fire up. Im a industrial electrician for Dairy farmers of America and own a plumbing service company so that helps with fuel and wiring issues lol.  

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, dannyj74 said:

Thanks for your assistance. Once I took the challenge of learning the components I couldn't stop till i heard it fire up. Im a industrial electrician for Dairy farmers of America and own a plumbing service company so that helps with fuel and wiring issues lol.  

Anytime Danny

No worries. You had that thing right from the start. Just had to get your ducks in a row.

pfrederi
1 hour ago, dannyj74 said:

Hardly any parts interchange between a C series and D series... 

You can see the parts listing for your tractor here

dannyj74

That's great thank you

ebinmaine
On 6/14/2018 at 11:04 AM, dannyj74 said:

interchangeability

I just realized you had asked about d series here.

I don't know of any manual but there is some interchange between

C and B ... 

not D.

Many of the more experienced members and the guys at a - z could help you with that.

dannyj74

Thank you

• Like 1