ebinmaine

My Honey's 657 Repaint & refresh

johnnymag3

image.png.67c41253b511de8c1638b25060e53f61.png

johnnymag3

Wow you guys can hardly remember the old green monster....NICE JOB, what a rebuild !!!Awesome     SUPER  !!!!

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

Wow you guys can hardly remember the old green monster....NICE JOB, what a rebuild !!!Awesome     SUPER  !!!!

Thanks!!!

Yeah... We're at the stage of looking at "before" pics to see what went where and what PO's had wrong and reassembling....

Crazy how much it's changed !!

• Excellent 1

953 nut

I was reviewing your post this morning and must say you have done a lot of great work. 

One thing I had intended to comment on earlier is the hitch problem. The axle snow plow mount was put on backward, the cross bar should be at the front. Guess that is why they bent the trailer hitch down.    :confusion-confused:

20180120_153604.jpg.a05b6a76ea5e11e6cdd1c5d180427727.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

I was reviewing your post this morning and must say you have done a lot of great work. 

One thing I had intended to comment on earlier is the hitch problem. The axle snow plow mount was put on backward, the cross bar should be at the front. Guess that is why they bent the trailer hitch down.    :confusion-confused:

20180120_153604.jpg.a05b6a76ea5e11e6cdd1c5d180427727.jpg

Thank you Dick.

We're really happy with the way it is turning out.

Ahhhh.

That would explain the downward orientation in that old hitch.

It wasn't actually bent... They  MADE it that way !

That hitch was on a government maintained Tractor.

Hehehe....

I don't know if you can see it yet but I cut that extra downtab off for the 657.

I'll try to remember that when I reinstall that plow later...

ebinmaine

I took some time and picked up the outdoor workshop a little this morning and mounted the new tire changer.

Got familiar with it by removing 6 or 7 tires and mounted one ... from old rims I don't care about.

I'm really impressed with this thing !!

Also took a couple minutes and ground 2 old screwdrivers to tire spoons.

IMG_20180707_141117192.jpg.fe709ef6f4f9b76fc8f9e2636119d797.jpg

Feeling like I could handle the machine ok... I moved on to my Honey's tires.

I used it to mount the rears and then did the fronts by hand.

Trina's putting a final coat of paint on them.

IMG_20180707_140414823.jpg.16b040bcd8e3ba57259c22c2b3992f18.jpg

She wants me to say thank you to whomever it was that I got this card trick from.

I really don't remember.... But it is an awesome idea and very helpful.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:                 Remind me not to play cards at your house, you have a marked deck!              :ychain:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Lee1977

Honey's horse is looking good. Now finish it up and keep Honey happy.

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

.... finish it up and 

...keep Honey happy.

Hoping today....

Not to tough to do. She's pretty much always happy.

It's a good life.

:D

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

19richie66

Looks great Eric! Colors work well together.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Looks great Eric! Colors work well together.

Thanks Richie!

The engine using contrast was sort of a mistake...ish.

The air cleaner got red instead of white but then I got looking at it and thought... Why not paint the opposing piece to it red as well to break up the monotony a bit ??

• Like 1

JC 1965

WOW  !!   That tractor is really looking good. 

• Thanks 1

Chris G

Great Job! That is a amazing transformation and a very sharp machine...

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Well folks, we had a bit of a ummm... setback yesterday afternoon.... But it turned into the realization of something I've been wanting to do for several years.

So here's the thing. I have a snowblower in my possession that was built in the late 70s. My grandfather bought it new and used it for at least 20 years. And then it went back and forth between me, my father, his church. I got it back probably four to six years ago and really haven't done anything with it since.

It's an International Cadet model 826.

On it is a very nice running Briggs 8 horsepower engine.

Always was dealer maintained and in great shape.

Now the tractor, and it's now inoperable Tecumseh.

I expected with the odds of I would say 80 or 90% that it was not going to start when I first attempted it because there was a lot of grease and grime on this engine and I had a sneaking suspicion the whole time that it was going to get down and get into the points and condenser and whatnot.

So I got to the point where there was a couple of things left to do on the tractor but I wanted to hear it run or at least attempt it.

We threw some fuel in there and turned it over and had no spark. So I commenced to looking around online and following the manual and within a few minutes I had cracked the end of the crankshaft where the flywheel nut is bolted on.

I was obviously not using the correct tool to wrap on the end of the shaft with a hammer. Oh well.

I've never been much of a Tecumseh fan anyway.

My honey and I had decided before we even attempted to do anything with this tractor that if this Tecumseh ever broke down this tractor was going to get a Kohler or something else put on to it.

So then there was this above-mentioned snowblower engine.....

I didn't take any pictures yesterday afternoon because quite frankly I was very perturbed... And also, kind of just plain in a rush to get the snowblower dismantled as much as possible. I'll get some pics later on and put them up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

19richie66

Always good to have backup.:thumbs:

• Like 2

dclarke

Never was much of a Tecky fan either, sounds like you have a plan  Eric. 👍

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, dclarke said:

Never was much of a Tecky fan either, sounds like you have a plan  Eric. 👍

I do Denny. Well, half of one anyway. Hahaha...

I really like the fact that I'm finally going to be putting this engine to use but it kind of bugs me that it does not have a charging system.

Trina said she would probably rather just pull start it then to get too worried about that.

Even though this engine does not have a charging system, someone in the past had put a 12-volt starter on it.

Right now what I'm thinking I will do is leave the battery in it and the Magneto style switch in it. Use the M terminal to ground this engine when she shuts It Off.

Put it on the trickle charger 6 or 10 times a year and she should be fine.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Sorry the other engine didn’t pan out...however, I think it is cool that you will finally have a use for the “heart” from grandpas old blower.  Seems to me he’d be happy that you found a way to keep it in the family and working hard.  

Regarding the charging...I think you have a good plan for now.  If you guys can’t live without a starter into the future, I say fabricate a bracket and install an S/G.  It will give you a way to start the engine and recharge the battery.  Who knows, you guys may not even miss an attached charging system if what you have planned works well for you...

I love the fact that inspite of the headaches, you are staying optimistic and moving forward:text-bravo:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Sorry the other engine didn’t pan out...however, I think it is cool that you will finally have a use for the “heart” from grandpas old blower.  Seems to me he’d be happy that you found a way to keep it in the family and working hard.  

Regarding the charging...I think you have a good plan for now.  If you guys can’t live without a starter into the future, I say fabricate a bracket and install an S/G.  It will give you a way to start the engine and recharge the battery.  Who knows, you guys may not even miss an attached charging system if what you have planned works well for you...

I love the fact that inspite of the headaches, you are staying optimistic and moving forward:text-bravo:

I spoke to Lincoln this morning and he seemed sure that he could help me out with a charging system of some sort....if that was the route that my honey wants to take.

I may not have been completely positive and in a forward-thinking mood for approximately 1 to 3 hours yesterday afternoon.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

We didn't have a lot of time this evening to mess around with the tractor and the engine swaps but we did get some stuff done. Degreased the Briggs engine.

Removed the Tecumseh from the frame. Trina spent some time with the wire brush and then primed a few pieces.

She also painted a couple pieces.

I ran the tap down into the exhaust port and that cleaned up very nicely in preparation for use of the pepper pot Muffler.

Here's a pic that shows why you should never let me anywhere near an engine with a hammer.

IMG_20180710_194640767.jpg.c1fcbe479ea6408d4ea954a5b13a74d1.jpg

Here's a few pics of the progress.

IMG_20180710_205235454.jpg.9f79352353e35f3c3f57be4c7aee7da9.jpg

IMG_20180710_210400408.jpg.037a3e9bf0a880027519a723231349c4.jpg

IMG_20180710_205332044.jpg.b3ba525dc0a7d1e78c932e89bd5db0ef.jpg

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 5

ebinmaine

I just wanted to take a minute and share a picture of the snowblower that this engine is coming off of.

@PeacemakerJack had asked me for a picture of another of my grandfather's machines in a different topic here on Redsquare. I found this picture with it.

The abomination of a battery shelf is something that my father and a friend of his had cobbled on there a few years back.

Not the way I would have done it.:D. but it got the job done for them at the time.

20180202_155730.jpg.be122bcaa66cc16e460376d94409a6ad.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Chris G

I love my Kohler engines, but the old Briggs engines are pretty darn good as well. Im thinking it should do the trick for you guys. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
Just now, Chris G said:

I love my Kohler engines, but the old Briggs engines are pretty darn good as well. Im thinking it should do the trick for you guys. 

Let's hope so, eh... ?

• Like 2

Wildhorse

Coming along nice! All the work will be worth the end results!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1