Bucko

throttle cable connection for 1961 H55D

Bucko

I'm ever so close to getting this engine going; have great spark now that the magneto is installed and good compression. However, I'm trying to figure out how to route the throttle cable and choke cable to the carb. They were both disconnected when I got this beast, and the carb was removed as well.

I have a 51 H55D. There is one choke cable, and one throttle cable. I can see the carb throttle butterfly linkage, and at first I thought the cable went to it. However, there is a rod that looks like it connects to it, that operates a secondary rod to what I'm guessing is some sort of governor(??) that connects over to the left side of the engine cover (when sitting in the seat). I cannot see though how to connect the throttle cable though over in this area in order to pull a lever that in turn, pulls thos secondary rod and pivot to push/pull the carbs throttle butterfly.

Is there a drawing that shows this setup so I can figure this all out?

WHNJ701

me too!  working on my 551 also, mine is missing the throttle cable, anyone recommend a replacement set?

formariz

The 551 is in my opinion the hardest tractor to work on since it is so crowded under hood. Routing of cables particularly throttle is critical for it to operate smoothly. I will take some photos of mine tomorrow which has all original cables and carburetor.

4 hours ago, jabelman said:

me too!  working on my 551 also, mine is missing the throttle cable, anyone recommend a replacement set?

Somewhere out there there is a vendor that sells throttle and choke cables for Willys's that are identical to the original 551 cables. 

oliver2-44

I’m also interested in a set of 551 cables if anyone knows the Willis supplier mentioned above please post and add info to the 551 Wiki 

formariz
1 hour ago, oliver2-44 said:

I’m also interested in a set of 551 cables if anyone knows the Willis supplier mentioned above please post and add info to the 551 Wiki 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MB-GPW-Willys-Ford-WWII-Jeep-G503-Dodge-CCKW-Chevy-Truck-Choke-Throttle-Cable/182280400584?epid=866896280&hash=item2a70c22ec8:g:OGcAAOSwMgdX2Agv

Bucko

Thank you formariz!!! I look forward to your pictures. I cannot for the life of me figure out how the throttle cable connects. Choke cable is an easy one.

I can connect the throttle cable directly to the carb, but then all that other linkage (governor???) is not doing anything. If I connect the rod from what I think is the governor linkage to the carb's throttle butterfly (length is perfect for that), then the throttle cable does not seem to have a logical connection; tried to see how it would connect to the engine covers linkage that's on the left side (viewed when sitting in the seat), but cannot figure how the cable connects and locks down. There is a screw and cable hold down there, but the cable in the sleeve itself does not appear to have a place to slide into and operate when the throttle lever is pulled.

Edited by Bucko

formariz

Here are a few pictures. Not the best quality , hood is on and it was raining but they may help you. If still not clear to you let me know and I will try to raise up hood. Not easy on mine since it has a ton of stuff under there.

First, do not make cables short. They are better left longer to make long easy turns rather than short tight ones. They will never work smoothly if short. 

Throttle cable should go straight ahead past hood support and then back into separate clamp on top of shroud where you clamp its sleeve PIC#1. Actual cable then gets attached to the top of complex mechanism attached to engine shroud PIC#1. From that mechanism there should be a long connecting wire on the very bottom of it to bottom of governor bracket PIC#1 & PIC#2. On the top of same governor bracket there should be another wire this one going to carburetor throttle lever PIC#2 & PIC#3.

Choke cable sleeve  gets attached first to clamp on top of engine shroud and cable then to choke lever PIC#4. Also make long sweeping turn.

Hopefully you also have the original correct carburetor which is extremely rare. It has the idle speed and idle mixture adjusting screw on the left side PIC#4 rather than on the exhaust side which would make it nearly impossible to adjust if everything including heat shield is mounted.

PIC#1

IMG_1211.JPG.565b0e43557294b047609c90a6b03362.JPG

PIC#2

IMG_1218.JPG.7a39e32c9468305ac3120c56fbf217fb.JPG

PIC#3

IMG_1219.JPG.6e8616a126eade8a55f8b29e9514643d.JPG

PIC#4

IMG_1217.JPG.1d266f22ee5bb528b171e844b1834cc4.JPG

IMG_1212.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1214.JPG

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

oldredrider

@formariz, what carb are we working with here?

formariz
50 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

@formariz, what carb are we working with here?

Walbro LMG#157. As far as I am aware the only variant ff the LMG, LME, or LMB that has both idle speed and idle mixture adjusting screws both on the right of carburetor while facing it when mounted.

oldredrider

Gotcha. I've got a H55D with a Tillotson you're gonna be helping me with at the Big Show...I hope!

formariz
1 minute ago, oldredrider said:

Gotcha. I've got a H55D with a Tillotson you're gonna be helping me with at the Big Show...I hope!

That is another rare one. Is it on a 1960 550?

oldredrider

Yes. But I have reason to believe the motor is not original. But, ONCE, I was wrong!  :ROTF:

Bucko

Thank you! exactly what I needed! All of this tractor is original, and matches what you are showing me in your pics. The cables are original, so they should work with loops as you describe.

• Like 1

formariz

Awesome. Don't forget to post photos of it when you can. Not too many of these old girls left intact.

Bucko

This one belongs to a very good friend of mine. We are both in our 50's, and the story behind this one is good. My friend recalls going to his grandfathers house when he was a young boy. As he sat in his grandfathers house, his grandfather would ask him if he was bored. He'd reply yes, and the grandfather would hook up the roller on the back of the Wheel Horse, and tell the grandson to go roll the yard. He enjoyed that task, and driving the tractor was a thrill.

His grandfather gave him the tractor before he passed away, and now my friend wants to use it for his yard chores. He still has the front plow attachment, but the roller is gone. He was hauling all the stuff his grandfather gave him in a van back in the 70's to his house, and the springs on the van had bottomed out. He pulled over into a grassy field, unloaded the roller into some high weeds to hide it, planning to come back the next day to retrieve. He came back, and it was gone! 

Edited by Bucko

formariz

The stories associated with many of these tractors are what makes them so important in my opinion. Even when they are not from a family member it is good to know their history and to keep that together with tractor. It puts a whole different importance and outlook on them. Great of your friend and you to bring it back to life. The memories he has of his grandfather will be revived every day when he looks onto that tractor. Precious stuff that cannot be purchased anywhere. If he was closer I would give him a roller to replace the one he lost. If he is ever close to me the offer will stand.

formariz

I must have posted wrong link. They are also available in  black. I got two sets of them.