ebinmaine

How to change over 657 to later ignition switch with separate solenoid?

ebinmaine

On my honey's tractor is the old style ignition switch that sends All the battery current through itself.

It's a bit dark colored and I'm Not a fan of those so I'd like to replace it and change to a switch with a separate solenoid.

Is there a wiring schematic that shows how?

Thanks!

rjg854

I'm sure 953nut will be along, he seems to have all those diagrams. I may even have one I saved for this same purpose.

5911cb63b515d_Capture2_thumb_JPG_156d89be9051c1861b0b1c8220f1cc41.jpg.e701e6f70458b3fd68aaa1d95b30266a.jpg

rjg854

I'm not positive that's the right diagram, I seem to remember the one Richard sent me had a 5 pin switch.

953 nut

This is basically the same as the one @rjg854 gave you.

5b1fb7c5bae25_wiring-starter-generatorwithbatteryignition.jpg.2166985fbb3d69929bcd5fcdd451ead5.jpg

pfrederi

I am pretty sure the Techy in the 657 is a Magneto system.  The above diagrams will fry the magneto. If the switch works just do a little rewiring.  Use the existing switch to control the solenoid.  Run a heavy wire from Battery + to one solenoid heavy terminal and then a heavy wire from the second solenoid heavy terminal to the starter motor.  Then a 14/16 ga wire from the Ignition switch S terminal to the small solenoid terminal.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

@rjg854 and @953 nut thank you for the responses. I should have been more clear. My apologies. @pfrederi is correct that I do have a Tecumseh in this tractor.

Thank you Paul for that. This switch does work so we'll just keep using it and wire as you stated.

953 nut
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

@rjg854 and @953 nut thank you for the responses. I should have been more clear. My apologies. @pfrederi is correct that I do have a Tecumseh in this tractor.

Thank you Paul for that. This switch does work so we'll just keep using it and wire as you stated.

I guess we fell into this old trap.                 :ychain:

WH_MAKES_IT_WE_AD_NEW_DESIGN__26922.1424558763.1280.1280.png?c=2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

I guess we fell into this old trap.                 :ychain:

WH_MAKES_IT_WE_AD_NEW_DESIGN__26922.1424558763.1280.1280.png?c=2

Myself included.

If the techy croaks it'll get a Kohler popped in.

953 nut

I just posted all three basic wiring diagrams, The first one is your system with a solenoid. As Paul @pfrederi said , the old switch will work fine or you can go to the new 5 post if you wish.

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

I just posted all three basic wiring diagrams, The first one is your system with a solenoid. As Paul @pfrederi said , the old switch will work fine or you can go to the new 5 post if you wish.

Thank you sir! Very much appreciated!