Shawn Harrington

Tach o matic issues with C-85 mower deck

Shawn Harrington

Hi guys, 

Best Wheel Horse forum period...  on to my issue, I have a 36 inch mower deck for my C-85 that has never had any issues staying coupled to the tach o matic.  Now,  all of a sudden when I hit uneven terrain the deck is coming out the tach o matic.  I've tried to make it lined up and the hooks are coming around the deck carrier.  The manual says that you need to having the bar with a V notch pointed straight up for the tach o matic to accept the deck properly.   Does anybody have any tricks or tips on mower decks that aren't interested in staying connected?  I appreciate all the experienced and helpful Wheel Horse people with their suggestions. 

Best,

Shawn 

varosd

Have hit anything with the deck?

gwest_ca

How the fork is located.

Is the spring on the frame hitch working properly - pushing the latch into the locked position?

Garry

3326-935RevA 2002-2014 42in RD 78350 hitch fork.png

• Like 2

Shawn Harrington

Thanks to both for your comments....  I have used the very same diagram...the fork is proving a challenge to lock into the upper bar...I know it needs to be straight up.  it seems to be locking without the fork taking the upper bar.   I guess I can try a 2x4 bracing to level the deck and keep the fork up.  On another note,  the piece that swings up with the fork on it is loose and wont stay up on it's own.  I need to hold it up to keep the fork pointed up.   Thanks again guys. 

Shawn  

doc724

this may seem obvious, but the easiest way to get the deck latched is:

1.  Kneel on the ground on the left side of the tractor

2.  With your left hand, hold item 1 in the approximate position so that the fork goes where it is supposed to go.

3.  Push up on the lift lever to pull the deck up and the lift lever will latch in the up position and the deck will be held there.

4.  Pull the latching dogs (the part of the hitch that moves) toward the rear of the tractor to hold item 1 into place.  The latching dogs have to be grabbing item 3 in Garry's pix.

If you have done all this stuff, the small spring in the tach a matic may have rusted away.  In my experience, it is usually operator error that causes the deck to fall off.  Don't ask how I know this.

• Like 6

Shawn Harrington

Doc, 

I don't doubt that it could be operator error :lol:  I'll try the steps that you describe and see where I end up.  Thanks to you and everyone that weighed in.  Love my Wheel Horse.  

tarcoleo

I use a spring-loaded clamp to hold the fork in an up-right position so that

when I pull the deck up it will latch properly.  Be sure then that the latches on the

hitch plate are closed and secured with spring clips on both sides.

• Like 2

Shawn Harrington

Thanks, man  that's a great idea since the fork is not staying straight up. 

• Like 1

Lee1977

A weak spring in the frame hitch will cause the deck to unlatch.  My C-120 lost the deck twice one day. Put a 1/4" pin in the hole on the tack-a-matic and it will not cime loose. I had to grind a flat side on the pin to get it through the hole and past the deck hitch.

Shawn Harrington

Lee, 

Appreciate the info; I checked the spring and the tension is there.  I think it's all about keeping the fork straight up when I connect.  Have a good one. 

Thanks,

Shawn

daveoman1966

Not to drive this into the ground, but 2 or 3 times it is written here for the FORK (# 2 ) is to be STRAIGHT UP.  the fork should not be straight up...it should be tilted forward some.... at an angle to engage the UPPER ROD ( # 5).   The fork MUST engage that rod #5 or it'll slop back and forth...  

• Like 1

Shawn Harrington

Dave,  

Ok, I appreciate that and I thought a few times I connected the deck the form seemed angled. I need to get the deck better aligned so that the latches can get around those lower rods.  Thanks for the help.

Best,

Shawn

• Like 1