Sign in to follow this  
mailman

Will this work for slot hitch?

mailman

I cannot find anything to use for the piece of metal to use with a slot hitch. I found this on ebay and thought it might work. Just need to figure the size to cut.

Is this the right type of steel?

ebay

Eriks Red horse herd

Hi Eric, that will definatley work, but to me thats kind of steep for a piece of hot roll steel. the cost plus shipping. Have you tryed looking at your local hardware, TSC store, farm supply store, home depot, lowes. They all have steel in short lengths usually for $4 to $12 depends on length. I would try there first before buying on ebay.

mailman

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the advice. I HAVE tried looking. No one has 1/2" thickness. I've tried Depot, Sears, True Value, etc.

Time is of the essence here. I don't weld, so I need to get some quick to have these worked up. Plus I have to cut them, with a hacksaw! :thumbs:

past7971

Try looking in your local Yellow Pages under Steel Distributors if local hardware stores didnt have what you needed. Most of them sell by weight so your purchase will be cheaper than at store anyways. Good luck

qd-16

I got mine at a local welding/fabrication shop. They just cut off the amount I needed and charged me by the weight.

CasualObserver

Surely somewhere you have a machine shop around there, they usually have scrap laying around and don't mind selling you a piece. Usually pretty cheap too. Otherwise, ask at a local junkyard. Tell them what you need and ask if they can find you a scrap close to that for you. Most won't let you in the yard, but sometimes they'll grab you a small piece. Check with any local implement dealers too... they may have a piece of junk that hasn't been scrapped that you can cut a piece off of.

Coadster32

need to figure the size to cut

I might be able to help. I need the size of material at finish that you need.

mailman

1/2" x 2"x 7"-8" I think thats about the size.

wallfish

I can also cut you a piece if Coadster32 can't help you out for some reason. Where about in CT are you? Plus it's free!

mailman

I'm in Lebanon CT.

Geez, I didn't expect you to do this for free! I'd be more than grateful and would be willing to pay you. I would be needing 2 pieces so I would be happy to pay you to do this. At least let me send you postage. Thanks.

:thumbs:

Does anyone wonder why this place has so many members and doing so well?

This is why.

Thanks again.

wallfish

I will try and cut them tonight and since you're not that far away I could meet you halfway down on rt395 or rt84 sometime soon. I'll cut'em 2" x 8" x 1/2". I'll also PM you.

Coadster32

Does anyone wonder why this place has so many members and doing so well?

This is why.

You said it right. That's how I look at it too. :whistle: Good luck with it. :thumbs: