Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

C100 with Haban Sickle

Rollerman

Sorry pics are not the greatest...would look much better in some tall grass doing what it can do. :P

This was mounted up on my 416 but the sickle shakes the tractor a bit & the big Haban mule drive would rub the hood....not good.

But I picked up the C100 minus engine & hardware with the idea of mounting my Haban sickle mower on it.

I found a good running K241 plus the misc hardware a finished it up today...minus seat. :D

Very happy with the results...runs strong & smooth...the engine at least.

Look forward to mowing with this rig when it gets warmer.

0123081435.jpg

0123081435a.jpg

nylyon

How cool is that. When it gets warmer out, maybe you can get some more close up pictures. I'd be interested to see the mule setup and how it mounts up. Very nice. :D

kj4kicks

You're right Stephen, it looks a little out of place with snow in the background.

Very cool though.... Nice job !!

kpinnc

That is a nice setup there Stephen.

I like it!

Kevin

chevelletown

Now that is a nice attachment. :P I remember riding with my Dad cutting weeds on a old Farmall. Its so neat in tall grass to watch it cut & fall like a big wave. That missing seat remindes of one I have in my garage..... :D

Rollerman

Thanks guys...I'm curious to see how the 10HP pulls it?

Buut then I'm told a Sickle doesn't take much power.....just a good dentist to replace your fillings.

Karl that big mule drive clips into the front mount just like a Wheel Horse item with a bar going along the frame & with a clevis pin holding it back there to help with the twist effect.

Ken sorry about the missing seat...had promised that one to another member before I decided to sell the C-160.... :D

T-Mo

Stephen,

Nice set up. I would like to have a sickle on one of my tractors. I think they would come in very handy. I could see where vibration might be an issue. But, I think a seat would soften some of that! :D

I guess you hadn't tried the set up yet, since you're sans seat. <_<

Rollerman

Terry a played with it last year on my 416-8 speed & it will make fast work of overgrown grass,weeds, etc.

The shakeing isn't that bad...but I'm sure if I ran it long enough fatigue cracks & wear on the hood hinge would be an issue...stuff like that so I didn't want to leave it on my "pretty" 416 to long. :P

It's also ment for a C series not a 300/400/500 series ...the mule drive is to big.

I think it will be fun to mess around with...there is a neighbor on the other side of the block that raises a garden & does a lot of bitc@#ng.... :D

T-Mo

Hmmm, a little payback, huh? :D

I have a '75 Attachments and Accessories brochure and I see a sickle mower in it (it's on the Allied section). I'm not sure if it's a Haban, but probably is. I drool over that brochure as I see numerous things I want, i.e. loader, sickle mower, shredder, hitches, tillers, cultivators, seeders, etc. In fact, I'll take everything in it. :P

pond195520032003

Stephen, that haban is a nice attachment :( wish i had one like it as you dont see them that often :P I do have a wheel horse 42" sickle for my 1075 and another 42" sickle for my 855 :( also have a 50" Didier Hydra sickle for my D-200 :o my brother has the 50" wheel horse sickle bar for his horse :D also i have a 50" and 42" sickle bars for my sears tractor and my brother has 2- 50" and 4 -42" sickle bars for sears aswell as a 50"haban for cub cadet! :o :(

Rollerman

wish i had one like it as you dont see them that often

Hmm Greg...not sure you'd even notice it with that collection.

How do you like the "Didier"...been told there noticeably smoother to use?

Note to self...Don't hang around Greg place when the weathermans callin for a tornado. :D

pond195520032003

Stephen, havent used the didier yet! the pump motor was gone when i traded for it :o:D:( i do know that the 42" wheel horse ones are not too bad :o i also have duall wheels on it :( it is recomended that when using a sickle bar to have counter weight on the opposit side to counter balance the tractor :( the dualls work great for that and give better leverage :P forgot to mention that my brother has a front mount sickle bar for the rj's! :o

nylyon

I see that the first one, the sickle is protected by an assult water pistol, that's some good thinking.... Very nice!

pond195520032003

Nice pics Buzz :( wish mine were all painted up :( i need a travel rod for mine :D getting ready to order new bushings and bearings for one of them :P part of it was still on the 1075 when i had it at the wapakoneta swap meet :(

T-Mo

Nice looking setup, Buzz. Have you used it yet? Or is it a show piece? Very nice. :D

TT

Good looking set-up there, Stephen! :D I saw Buzz's 854 live & in person at Arendtsville last June and it is "wicked" SWEET too! :P

Here's my experience....

The sickle bar mowers with pitman rods are the ones that shake the worst. They are the ones that are normally only operable in the horizontal position too. (with minimal up/down travel)

My Speedex S-19 had an OEM "cycle bar mower" with a steel pitman arm. (generally made of wood on larger models as kind of a "shear pin" type protection device.) Those of you who are familiar with the strap steel frames on a Speedex (as opposed to "angle-iron" Wheel Horse frames) can probably guess what happens when the mower is engaged and the pitman rod starts moving the knife bar back and forth! You really get some major flex in the middle of the tractor, and did you ever see one of those Go-Go dancers shaking her behind REALLY fast ?????? -- that's what it felt like in the seat. :(

The genuine Wheel Horse sickle bar mowers use a small reciprocating gearbox with an "arm" sticking out of the bottom front. The arm moves side-to-side in about a 2" stroke. The knife bar hooks directly to the "arm" with a special pin, and since the gearbox pivots with the cutter bar, (which is actually bolted to the bottom of the gearbox) the mower will operate from near-vertical to a moderate downward angle. (Excellent for doing banks and ditches) Lots of the hydro-drive mowers and some of the other manufacturers belt driven mowers are capable of this too.

I have used my SMS-425 on my 701 several times but the tractor ground speed is a little too fast. It came with an 876 and worked very well with the hydro transaxle. :( It also help to have wheel weights - especially on the left rear. :(

101307018.jpg

I'd thought about extending the main frame so I could mount it on the Tricycle, but haven't actually gotten that far yet. I'll put it on the list. :o

T-Mo

TT,

Nice. Ditch lines and such is what I would want one for. But, to be honest, I just want one. Interesting info, though, on them. I'm not that familiar with the different types out there. Thanks. :D

Rollerman

I had an RMS 425 for a short while...since it was missing some peices I never got to run it.

Ended up going back on the tradeing block.

Buzz nice pics there & good looking tractors...I'm guessing those other 2 blue tractors belong to "mrfixit"

Terry that 701 looks great!

I'm not sure what the travel is on the Haban?...seems a little more than the RMS-425 I had here?

You have me thinking now?

I have 100 pound wheel weights that I didn't put on for the pic...but will soon.

I do if I had to have one laying around the shop where I'd have to move it out the way I'd take the RMS-425 over the Haban any day. :D

TT

The only thing that seems to be a "bad" design on the OEM WH mower is the "double-twisted" jackshaft-to-gearbox belt. (and the fact that you have to partially tear it apart to replace the belt)

I need to get that mower back off the 701 as soon as I can get near it again. :D It really isn't a good combination, and it's probably too rough on the tractor. (being what it is, ya know?)

Jim_M

Stephen,

I have the exact same Haban sickle bar. The book says it cuts 45 degrees above and 45 degrees below horizontal.

It's been so long since I had it on a tractor that I can't remember for sure if it really does have that much travel, but I remember that it does have more than I ever neded for the ditch banks at the farm.

I plan to repaint it and put on a tractor this summer, I hope I still remember how. I do remember that it's the finger "pinchingest" S.O.B that I own when it comes to putting it on a tractor.

Jim

pond195520032003

Stephen, the travel rod on a haban is actually that flat lever that slides around the cutter bar when its in the upright position! :D i need one for the sms-425 wheel horse brand! you can see it on buss's tractor :P

pond195520032003

I meant Buzz's Tractor :D

Buzz

Thanks for the compliments guys. I didn't need it but when a guy at our local show said he had one complete and working for $150.00 i had to jump on it. I tore it all apart and painted it up before i put it on. I tried it out for about 100 yards on the lot across the street to make sure it worked, cleaned it up, and will probably never use it again. Just like the looks of it.

Those blue tractors are indeed Joe's (mrfixit) The big one is the "Predator" and it is bad to the bone

Glad you noticed the water gun. As cold as it was that day they would have been shooting ice cubes. that would put "worser' lumps on your head. You know, the more you rub them, the worser they hurt...... :D

Buzz

Stephen, the travel rod on a haban is actually that flat lever that slides around the cutter bar when its in the upright position! :D i need one for the sms-425 wheel horse brand! you can see it on buss's tractor :P

Don Kane had re-manufactured some of these for sale at the Wheel Horse Show but was all out last year. I got mine from another member who had bought the pieces but sold the sickle bar before he put the travel rod on. I lucked out there. It add a finishing touch.