mc1960

C-160 8 speed rebuild

stevasaurus

If you are going to show the progress of this project, this thread would be better in the Restorations section.  I am going to move it there..

BTW...Welcome to Red Square :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

mc1960

Thanks

• Thanks 1

Aldon

You will get plenty of armchair support. Especially with thread in restoration section. I’m tagging it so I can follow along. Nice choice for your first one:-) I say first, as the satisfaction and pride you will experience often leads to additional restoration projectS.

• Like 5

mc1960

Thanks Aldon, I have an Allis Chalmers D-14 I have been wanting to do for years, maybe the Wheel Horse will give to the confidence to tackle it next. Do you have a paint of choice for red and white?

Aldon

There is a whole thread pinned in restoration section I believe.

It will come down to whether you want to do spray can or automotive style paint.

i go the spray can route as I tend to use mine when I’m done. And they get chipped and scratched and I can touch up easily.

my personal favorite is from Lowe’s. Rustoleum implement paint, Toro Red.

Many like Rustoleum Sunrise Red.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

It does look like you have a nice horse for the project.  Rustoleum Regal Red is a popular choice also.  They also have an off white...not quite almond that is close to factory.  :)

• Like 2

Marv
51 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

It does look like you have a nice horse for the project.  Rustoleum Regal Red is a popular choice also.  They also have an off white...not quite almond that is close to factory.  :)

I am using the Rustoleum Canvas White on some wheels now. I think that is the one Steve is referring to.

Marv

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

Nice horse! Gonna be a great project as it looks to be in pretty good shape. I myself prefer IH red from the case ih dealer. I just like how it sprays out of my gun and how it holds its shine vs rustoleum. I use rustoleum almond on my wheels and I spray that from a gun too. I've seen regal red paint jobs look ok too so it's up to you. :)

Either way she's gonna look good!

Mike

• Like 2

oliver2-44

That horse has a good “used”  look. You could give it a wet sand and put a couple of coats of. cear on It to protect it but keep the “patina” look

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
11 hours ago, Aldon said:

You will get plenty of armchair support. Especially with thread in restoration section. I’m tagging it so I can follow along. Nice choice for your first one:-) 

:text-yeahthat:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

One of the best overall threads on rebuilding and painting a :wh: is the one @JPWH did a couple years back. There was a lot of good information shared and opinions to choose from. Read it over and you will have a PHD in WheelHorseology.                           :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

One of the best overall threads on rebuilding and painting a :wh: is the one @JPWH did a couple years back. There was a lot of good information shared and opinions to choose from. Read it over and you will have a PHD in WheelHorseology.                           :ychain:

I'll second that recommendation.

@JPWH

So much good info in there I saved it to my PC bookmarks.

• Like 1

mc1960

I put new brushes in the starter today what I learned is to make sure the insulation is over the wire where the positive and negative brush wires touch. I did a quick rough sanding job on the hood and fenders to remove most of the rust, what is the best way to remove stickers? May take Oliver’s suggestion and give it a good cleaning and sanding and give it a couple of coats of paint and keep the Patina it is going to be a working tractor anyway. What is the closest match using the Ace brand rattle cans? Thanks for all of your help everyone 

BOB ELLISON

We come to :rs:

I use a cheap heat gun I got from harbor freight to remove the old stickers and decals. JPWH used the red spray primer then painted the red it made a deeper red that looks really nice. I did use regal red with gray primer and it came out bright red.im not familiar with Ace brand paint. I also have a c160 that I removed to the frame,reconditioned it and it is the best tractor I have.

20151030_164348.jpg

Edited by BOB ELLISON

953 nut

ACE Hardware has a great match for IH Red witch is the best match for :wh: I have found.    15 oz can for $ 4.00

pACE3-4981644enh-z6.jpg

mc1960

I went by the auto paint store today and bought some urethane primer that has a lot of solids in it to help even out some of the rust spots and started sanding on the fenders. I may go with a 2 part urethane paint but still undecided. I sure hope mine turns out as good as yours Mr. Bob

• Thanks 1

Joshn569

Awesome! Definitely gonna follow along. :text-coolphotos:

mc1960

Happy Fathers Day to everyone. I was reading on another forum and someone mentioned using a engine parts cleaner to strip paint. We have a big parts cleaner that heats up that we put car engines in to clean them before rebuilding them. Do you think this would strip the paint on the hood, fenders etc? 

Sarge

An engine hot tank might be too much for sheet metal - at the temperature they operate, it could warp those parts.

Sarge

mc1960

Thanks Sarge, it ended up that they had changed the fluid from caustic, to a degreaser, so I am putting it in the blast cabinet instead. Working on the hood, fender, floor boards and belt guard now. 

Edited by mc1960

mc1960

Getting ready to fill some pits. 

wheel horse 001.JPG

wheel horse 002.JPG

wheel horse 003.JPG

wheel horse 004.JPG

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, mc1960 said:

fill some pits. 

How will you be doing that?

I would be very appreciative if you were to share some pics and information about that process.

I know very little About making things smooth.

I have some body panels on a similar vintage tractor that I would like to try 2 smooth out before painting.

mc1960

I will be spreading a light coat of bondo over the pits then sanding them down, then I am going to shoot a coat, or more if needed, of high build primer until I have everything smooth and ready for paint. I am by no means an expert, fortunate to work at a technical college to where I have access to equipment, help and advise. I will post more pictures after bondo has been applied and sanded. 

• Thanks 1

mc1960

Thinking of powder coating the wheels, does anyone have a recommendation on a powder coat color that matches the original color?