Buzz

854 no spark

Buzz

Trying to get my 854 running after several years. No spark. Used a test light to check current to coil. Key on I have power to the positive post and also power to the negative post. As the engine turns over the power stays steady to the negative post in stead of making and breaking. I've physically opened the points but the power stays steady. I have a running 856 sitting next to it that the power makes and breaks as it should. I've swapped the coil and condenser betwen the tractors and the 856 runs, the 854 no spark. Help!

gwest_ca

Best guess is the points are not making electrical contact when they are closed. That is what pulls the negative side of the coil to 0 volts because the stationary contact is grounded. Clean the contacts up and it should run.

Garry

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WHNJ701

clean the points and when you think they are clean them again, also check your wires in case something is grounding out

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Buzz
5 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Best guess is the points are not making electrical contact when they are closed. That is what pulls the negative side of the coil to 0 volts because the stationary contacts are grounded. Clean the contacts up and it should run.

Garry

I'm heading out to the garage to see if that works. Thanks.

• Like 1

Buzz

Thank you Garry and jbelman that's what it was. I had cleaned them with emery cloth and thought it was good enough but clearly it wasn't. Dug out my very old points file and it worked. It's running. Old age isn't as much fun as I thought it would be. Reduced hand / eye coordination and a mind that isn't operating at full tilt. Thank you

• Like 2
  • Haha 3