Cee245

"What's it worth?" 5 tractor mega deal!

Cee245

Hey Everyone,

This would be a mega deal for me anyway...

I have an opportunity to buy 5 tractors for a decent price.  It's a long haul for me and the wife but we can do it.

Tractors are as follows:

1). A 13-38 Hxl. No hour meter. About a 1997. Needs a seat and does work but needs a lot of tlc.  With bagger.

2). 269h. 530 hours. Runs and works. With bagger. Decent shape. 5 out of 10

3.) 312h works well. Seller says no hour meter. Looks ok. Needs cleaned up. 

4.) Early 520H. About 88 or 89. Has the motion control that is NOT on the steering column.  Has a lot of hrs at 1260 hours.  48" deck. Looks nice. Runs ok and drives good. Surges and will need battery and a tube in rear tire.

5.) A 98 or 99 520XI with deck and 2 stage snowblower. All parts included. Works well. Also a cab enclosure that is complete and in decent shape. 

Seller also said ALL Wheel Horse parts go in the deal.  He said about 5 mule drives, many belts, ect.

Expenses included to obtain these tractors would be about 400 including hotel / gas / tolls / food ect.

How much is the deal worth?

I wouldn't keep all 5. I think I'd sell 2 or 3.  I don't have much interest in the 13-38 hxl. 

Cory

Edited by Cee245
More info

roadapples

Worth much more than 400...

Cee245

Of course it's worth more than 400. Lol. 

Sorry, I mean to say it will be an additional cost of 400 to go on a 10 hour trip one way to pick up this load. 

The actual price of the tractors is much higher.

Sorry to confuse you guys. 

Cory

Edited by Cee245

Sparky

Tough to say without some pics to get a real feel of their condition.

13/38--- almost worthless, I'll say $50

269H---just a larger lawn tractor,  $150

312H---if it has hydraulic lift it has the better Eaton pump, I'm at $300 (you didn't mention any attachments)

520H---sounds like it does not have the swept axle or gear reduction steering, that drops the value for those models. Be careful! Those Onans, if the valve seat lets go, can run fairly smooth on one cylinder! If the 48" deck is real nice I'm guessing $500-$600.

520LXI--unfortunately I gave no experience and very little knowledge on this line of tractors. But they do command a good price when I see them up for sale and with those attachments that one for sure is worth north of $1500, maybe more that $2000. Someone here will hopefully chime in with more experience with those models.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

I'm curious to see the answers others give so I'll follow along....

In "Maine prices" I'd say 

Each 5** is at LEAST 4 or 5 bills

The 3** is worth at least 3

The others... 100 apiece or more.

So LOW side... 1300 plus extras 

Now, you take a few days to clean em up and resell.... You could honestly double that here.

I've seen those 5** models a BUNCH of times in the high $1000 to over 2.

• Like 1

T-Mo

I never give values, especially without at least seeing pictures.  And it's hard to gauge a value of lawn tractors when conditions and situations can vary so much, things like location, season, market fluctuations, how much a seller wants to get rid of his tractor(s), and how much a buyer wants them.  Tractors with decks go higher in early spring when grass begins to grow, and prices will fall late summer and fall.  Tractors with snow removal attachments will go higher late fall into winter, but will plummet in spring and summer.  Location has a lot to do with values as if there are a lot of lawn tractors on the market, prices will be lower, and vice versa if supply is limited.

Bottom line, if you want to flip these, then you should come in at a low offer.  If you want to keep them, or one or two, then your offer may increase a bit.  A bit of caution here, it's hard to recoup your cost if you don't buy at the right price, and flipping tractors is a risk at best.

• Like 7

953 nut
9 hours ago, Cee245 said:

wouldn't keep all 5. I think I'd sell 2 or 3.  I don't have much interest in the 13-38 hxl. 

My take on this is that you would be better off to figure out what you want and find one close to home. The chances of recouping the $ 400 travel money and the value of two days of your life by selling some undesirable models is slim to none. If you find one close to home and it isn't as good as the seller said it was you can make an offer and if they say no turn around and drive home, a few bucks wort of gas and an hour of your time gone. If you go on a major trip and are disappointed what kind of bargaining power do you have to lower the price?

• Like 4

T-Mo
3 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

My take on this is that you would be better off to figure out what you want and find one close to home. The chances of recouping the $ 400 travel money and the value of two days of your life by selling some undesirable models is slim to none. If you find one close to home and it isn't as good as the seller said it was you can make an offer and if they say no turn around and drive home, a few bucks wort of gas and an hour of your time gone. If you go on a major trip and are disappointed what kind of bargaining power do you have to lower the price?

:text-yeahthat: Sound advice, right there.

• Like 2

JoeM

I've never had to get a hotel room to buy a tractor.

In my mind if you really want them, $1500 bucks. top dollar.

keep in mind you haven't seem those machines in person.

953's advice is pretty sound.

• Like 2

Cee245

Thanks for the responses...

Just to clarify, im interested in the deal mostly for the 520xi and the seemingly rare 2 stage snowblower. 

And the only reason for the hotel stay is because of the wife. Lol

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

Having owned three different models of the 5xi, the 520xi has the larger steering wheel and cruise over the 518xi. Horsepower is actually the same as they were playing tricks with the data at the time. The hydraulic steering on the 522xi may be handy for the two-stage snowblower. If it is the 520Lxi, that is the one that I never had experience with. Depending on the date manufactured, they originally used a plastic cam gear that eventually breaks. Go through the archives to find the serial number where it was changed to a steel gear. In my opinion, it seems that the 5xi are coming on the used market much more frequent than when I bought my first eight years ago. Even attachments are more plentiful it seems. Also, Toro made the 5xi for New Holland painted blue 1997-2003 as their GT-series and the 5xi attachments painted black. That will increase your likelihood of finding a two-stage snowblower, plus any other attachments.

I would hold off on the package deal.

The only 5xi that I would consider staying in a hotel for would be the 1998 523Dxi that actually had a 26 hp engine. Luckily for me, mine was only two hours away. Interestingly I had two offers to sell it - before I had even picked it up later in the week that I had bought it.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

Tractor boy

If it were me I’d sell all but the one with the two stage and the 312 for a good backup tractor or tow tractor or something. I might possibly sell the 520 and definitely sell the two little ones. 

-Tractorboy 

• Like 1

Cee245
3 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Go through the archives to find the serial number where it was changed to a steel gear.

Can anyone find this information? I've been looking and can't find anything.

Thanks

Cee245

This is a 520 xi. Not a 520Lxi. 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Pictures would help. 

Glenn

Cee245

Here are a few...

Seller is out of town till Monday so these are all I have for now.

Resized952018052895095621954458.jpg

Resized952018052895095558954828.jpg

Resized952018052895095253955196.jpg

Resized952018052895095008955705.jpg

Edited by Cee245

shallowwatersailor

On the 5xi, just for comparison the lower part of the cab is about $135.00 to replace from OTC. I would guess that the windshield would be similarly priced. IMO, for the deal it is a losing proposition.

• Like 1

Cee245

What about the plastic cam gear issue? 

I've read about a Kawasaki that had it but this is a kohler.

DennisThornton

Real tough question, especially if accuracy is important.  Plus, my US dollar might be different than someone else's. Mine are pretty rare! 

That said, if the trip might include a romantic get away, it's a sweet deal!  Or maybe $3000 is a great deal.  I will go out on a limb and say that 269 could be a great riding lawnmower!  Don't discount its usage, even if "We" don't praise them. They are great mowers! 

• Like 1

DennisThornton

The closer I look I really like the 520xi.  However, I think it's a Kohler and I'm not sure it has power steering.  I'd want to confirm that, esp with that big blower hanging way out there.  The 520Lxi is the model with a Kawasaki that could have a plastic gear. 

Think $3000 will close the deal? 

Can you haul everything in one trip? 

• Like 1

Cee245
8 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Think $3000 will close the deal? 

Can you haul everything in one tri

$1000 closes the deal.

I have a 2017 f 150 super crew with a 8.5x16 enclosed trailer.

Cory

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Cee245 said:

$1000 closes the deal.

Have a good trip, drive safely and    :wwp:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cee245

The plan is to get away with the wife for a couple days and bring all this home...

The xi snowblower goes to my dad for his 520xi. And I want the 520xi tractor and mower. 

I think the 2 stage on a 520xi will handle similar to my brothers 416h with 2 stage. It's not easy to steer but I think we are used to it. 

I'll continue to use my 416h snowblower in winter. 

The other tractors are just a bonus really. 

• Excellent 1

dells68
3 hours ago, Cee245 said:

$1000 closes the deal

You didn't say that!  Run Forest, Run!  Plus you get a trip with the other half!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cee245

@dells68

I know! I'm not a good at communication according to my wife...

It seems like a can't miss deal. 

Cory 

• Excellent 1