Brent Fabian

Flywheel removal?

Brent Fabian

Anybody got a technique for flywheel removal? The flywheel on my K91T was stuck on, and I ended up breaking the bearing plate (long story) while trying to remove it. There's no spot to put a puller on it, and there's no bolt holes to thread in to help it pop off. 

WHNJ701

1 is patience and pb blaster.  the key is shocking them off usually I back the nut off just to the end of the threads and tap with a hammer, sometimes with 2 people just to take 2 flat bars behind the flywheel while tapping.  again the key is tapping no wailing on it.  I won't heat them because of the seals, last resort I only had 1 where I had the air chisel  to shock it off

motor12

I use the pneumatic chisel method, it has never failed me. the end of the crank that is threaded has a small indentation, use an old chisel grind it until it fits the hole perfectly. then put the nut on to protect the threads. put a small pry bar between the plate and flywheel, a second set of hands is nice. apply a light pressure to the pry bar then pull the trigger on the chisel, small burst at a time and the fly wheel will come off without damaging a thing. good luck.

Edited by motor12

The Tuul Crib

Harmonic balancer puller from auto zone works for me!!

jeff lary

With chainsaws sometimes I have suspended the entire engine in the air by placing a small rope under the flywheel. Hang the engine from an overhead beam or the like . Then thread on the nut till the crank shaft is flush to outside of the nut. Then a good sharp rap to the end of the shaft/nut with a ball peen hammer or better yet even a ( brass or lead hammer) and the hanging weight of the engine will help it to come right off. Place and old tire and a blanket under the engine so it has something soft to fall on. Suspend everything a foot or so above the floor so it does not have far to fall.

I like the air chisel Idea too.

Spareparts

They make a Knock-Off nut, about a 1" hex drilled partially thru  and drilled and tapped to the thread pitch of the crankshaft. Just screw it down to the crankshaft and back ofa little and smack with a hammer

Bucko

I was fortunate enough to be able to place a ratchet extension bar behind the flywheel, then give this bar a firm hit with a hammer while it was placed on the back of the flywheel. Popped right out. This was on a H55 1961 wheel Horse. 

Edited by Bucko