shallowwatersailor

Finally ... My New Shed for the Horses

CasualObserver

Congrats!  That's a darn fine looking builiding.... HOA's can go fly a kite.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut

That is a great looking shed, glad you were able to overcome the HOA commandos.     :text-bravo:

A few years back we bought a house in a HOA community to serve as a parsonage for our pastor. There were some bad deck boards and bad railings so we decided to replace them all with composite decking and add a second set of stairs as an emergency exit. The builder had only been on site for an hour when I got a phone call from the HOA  chairman telling me we needed to cease work until they approved the work.I suggested he meet me at the house so he could see that we weren't doing anything except repairs and the added stairs were for safety. He declined and said we would incur a fine of $ 100 a day for any work done prior to their granting permission. I read over the HOA rules and found that repairs didn't require permission from them. After the third phone call he also read the rules and decided to let it ride. The new steps would not be visible from the street so we just went ahead with them. 

We had a few other occasions where the HOA was upset with us but each time I was able to show them already existing examples that were in place and they caved in. I am no longer the Trustee Chairman and they have a new HOA commando now and she is a lot easier to get along with.

squonk

Nice shed. Those trailers are amazing. My Neighbor was selling his shed about 5 yrs. ago. 10 x 12. My wife got it for me for Father's day. $400. It was my job to get it into my fenced in yard into a tight spot around trees. I cut open my fence and hired a local shed mover with one of those trailers. He shimmed and nudged that trailer for about an hour but got it right where I wanted it. 

• Like 2

beehive

Great looking shed. I also have a 10x16 that I keep my horse and the attachments in. I have lofts front and back in mine, very handy.

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug: I gotta agree with the HOA...

that thing is gonna need a set of swimmies, and a snorkel...

once you get some real rain come down.   :greetings-wavingyellow:

Image result for swimming smiley

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sparky

Very nice! 

You'll be amazed how fast they fill up :-o

rjg854

Fill any extra space with another tractor :ychain:

rmaynard
3 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Very nice! 

You'll be amazed how fast they fill up :-o

With tractors or water? Yikes.

Nice shed John, but I'd be real skeered of that drainage pond behind it. I've got one of those in front of my house between the road and the yard. A little rain will fill it, and a little more runs it over. How much rain over what time period filled it to that level?

Marv

Feed it horses and when it expands just tell the HOA  it grew just like people when they eat sweets.

Marv

• Haha 3

WVHillbilly520H

John, the rain must have came because I mowed all 3+ acres today but at least I didn't have a "creek" flowing by your trailer parked at my place, but at my parents place in WV last weekend it actually made their driveway vehicle impassable, hasn't been that bad since the 1985 flood, Jeff.

IMAG4575.jpg

IMAG4578.jpg

IMAG4588.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

That is a nice shed , wish I had another one , but the city would add additional storm water fees ( taxes ) to my water bill.  As for HOA  can't say what I want since this is a family site. Once lived where the rules read that if your garage door opened at the front of your house , you could not leave it open even if you were doing yard work and needed tools or :wh: to cut your grass. You can guess my verbal reply to HOA  president.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

JoeM

Nice shed sailor!

HOA's and Zoning can be a real problem.

I tried to put up a 24x40 pole building only to find out they changed my zoning from agricultural to residential II, Zoning board said "no dice"! 12x20 is as big as you can go......if approved. I lived here 34 years, not much changed. I was so mad I didn't do anything, bought some bigger tarps! they will probably complain the tarps are the wrong color.

These are the same people that think meat comes from a super market!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Nice building...and as stated above they always fill up fast...when I bought my 12x32 I thought it would be plenty big...I'm already finding out that its not. And all this talk of HOA rules makes me more and more glad that I live in a small town. Town I actually live in is about 2500 people...few more rules here but not too bad...my shop is in the next town over with a population of around 500...hardly any rules there...they did say something last month about my broken down pickup beside the shop...went and took pics of the 9 junkers in the mayor/fire chief's backyard and showed up at the next town council meeting...not another word was said after that 

• Haha 2

shallowwatersailor
12 hours ago, rmaynard said:

With tractors or water? Yikes.

Nice shed John, but I'd be real skeered of that drainage pond behind it. I've got one of those in front of my house between the road and the yard. A little rain will fill it, and a little more runs it over. How much rain over what time period filled it to that level?

Bob, that was 1.50 inches of water in about 30 minutes; no standing water when I went back to check less than an hour later. I feel confident that the swale is graded properly and shouldn't be an issue.

We have been deluged with the amount of rain down here just like you. One of the fellows that did the pad has lived in this area all his life. He commented that the amount of rain we have received in the past few weeks is the most he has ever seen. The one train line (ex-CSX) that runs over the mountain suffered a washout early last week. The 3-times-a-week Amtrak Cardinal runs on that portion and has been annulled since then. I am concerned because tomorrow I am taking it to Chicago - to visit with my first grandchild!

Now on to dealing with the HOA regarding a fence!

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

953 nut
23 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Now on to dealing with the HOA regarding a fence!

Do as @Professor1990 and I did, grab your camera and tour the sub-division. 

Sarge

That is the exact reason I live in an old, small town - I've worked over the years in some of those subdivisions and those HOA's have little sense of reality. There seems to be a high trend of folks fleeing those things and I can definitely see the argument both for and against them - the problem is generally who is running the system and how they treat others. Worst scenario I've dealt with was being a Utilities Locator and having to go into those gated/HOA managed areas around here in the cities - it usually resulted in dealing with the Police. 

Sarge

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Do as @Professor1990 and I did, grab your camera and tour the sub-division. 

Exactly! When we were negotiating on the purchase is when we found out that there was an HOA. We were given at that time a single sheet of paper with a list of items that seemed reasonable to maintain the quality of the area. I will need to read over the bylaws and how they can be applied. Perhaps there needs to be a change in the HOA board as it consists of the developer, and two of his adult children. Sounds like some research is necessary.  :twocents-02cents:

• Sad 1

WNYPCRepair

I could not deal with a HOA. And how do they enforce the fines? What do they do if you tell them to take a hike? 

My town says I can only build a shed up to a certain size (10 x 12 maybe?), but I can build a barn to store my agricultural equipment with no permit, and no size restrictions that I can find. If I can ever get my wife to part with a couple of dollars, I plan to build a nice pole barn. I think the wife is a bigger obstacle than the town, that woman is cheap! :) 

• Haha 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

John, its looking sweet. AND water view to........:ychain:

Glenn

• Haha 1