mmmmmdonuts

Tire Chains

mmmmmdonuts

I have a loader with Ag tires and was looking to add chains to it. They are 23x10.5-12 tires. I have a very hilly, steep yard that is quite muddy most of the time (especially the spring) and was trying to figure out with the Ags if I am better off with the 2-link chains or the European diamond stud chains. I still use it quite a bit on the asphalt driveway as well so I don't think I necessarily I want to use Duo style, but if it will provide me much more traction than the other two I may spring for them. My other tractor I use turfs on with 2 link chains just for mowing the lawn. My initial though was the European diamond stud vs the 2 link because of the Ags. Thoughts?

Jerry77

From experience I can assure that any steel chain will do a number on your blacktop....you can buy rubber chains that are very rugged and will do as good a job as steel chains and will not harm your driveway...the biggest downside of them is they ride very rough on pavement and lawn..Whatever you buy, see if someone on here knows what size you would need to go over the ag tires...I would imagine that it would be different from turf tires..  :twocents-02cents:

JoeliusZ28

I bought rubber chains at the recommendation of this site and i highly recommend them.  they for sure provide more traction on asphalt than a traditional chain and they dont mark the driveway.  I would not want to run the standard 4-link rubber chain for cutting grass though... too bouncy.   2 link maybe.  

• Like 1

Sarge

For hills and such - I run 2-link chains all year round on my machines here, got the same hill/mud problems and mowing doesn't wait for things to dry out. They can/will tear up seal coated driveways in a hurry - so avoid that if possible (especially someone else's drive).

For the money - I'd seriously look at the Euro diamond pattern designs. I've had a lot of instances of getting jammed into places or even stuck due to the tractor's differential causing the rear tires to side slip on even a very slight side incline. If I have to replace the current ones - I'm going to the diamond pattern instead to prevent that side slipping. Both the Euro pattern diamond and the newer Duo style would work a lot better, especially over the top of ag tires.

https://www.tirechain.com/Garden-Tractor-European-Diamond-Tire-Chains.htm

https://www.tirechain.com/Tire-Chains-duo-grip-Lawn.htm

https://www.tirechain.com/23X10.50X12.htm

Sarge

• Excellent 1

mmmmmdonuts

So would you Duo or the European Diamond? That is what I think I have narrowed it down to. I don't know how much is gained by going Duo vs diamond, but I am guessing the diamond is much smoother on pavement. 

Edited by mmmmmdonuts

mmmmmdonuts

I talked to the people at tirechain.com and I decided to go with the European diamond style. I will post back once I get them on and try them out. 

Sarge

I know several outfits that use the Diamond pattern on snow removal equipment, they say the ride on pavement is no different than without chains, which says a lot. I suspect the Duo pattern may ride a little rough, but it can't be nearly as bad as 2 or 4 link straight pattern traditional chains. I would think the Duo pattern would have a little more bite, but hard telling and I'm sure it varies with ground conditions.

Sarge

pfrederi

These are not exactly Diamond pattern...but they are European (bought them in Germany).  The ride very smoothly and have excellent winter snow/Ice traction...Don't use them in mud.

mmmmmdonuts
9 hours ago, pfrederi said:

These are not exactly Diamond pattern...but they are European (bought them in Germany).  The ride very smoothly and have excellent winter snow/Ice traction...Don't use them in mud.

Will they not work well in the mud at all? I plan on using them around my yard and occasionally hit mud but it usually isn't terrible. 

Edited by mmmmmdonuts
  • Like 1

mmmmmdonuts
10 hours ago, Sarge said:

I know several outfits that use the Diamond pattern on snow removal equipment, they say the ride on pavement is no different than without chains, which says a lot. I suspect the Duo pattern may ride a little rough, but it can't be nearly as bad as 2 or 4 link straight pattern traditional chains. I would think the Duo pattern would have a little more bite, but hard telling and I'm sure it varies with ground conditions.

Sarge

That's what I was hoping for with the diamond being smooth on pavement and then biting in the hills around the yard which would be better than no chains.

pfrederi
14 hours ago, mmmmmdonuts said:

Will they not work well in the mud at all? I plan on using them around my yard and occasionally hit mud but it usually isn't terrible. 

I do not use them in mud as they get dirty.... 

They are on one of my snow machines...they do not see mud.

Edited by pfrederi

Sarge

Mud, water spots, hills and other issues are the reason I run chains all year 'round. The yard here is not flat and is prone to flooding a large area that at one time was a natural drainage ditch - mowing it at times can be a hassle but the Horse goes through it like it's not there. Several times a year I end up towing out the neighbor's zero turn mower on their half of that ditch, last time it was seriously buried and stuck but the 16Auto didn't care a bit, lol.

Here's what I have to contend with and have taken on even worse properties with ease, except on side hills which are a no-no for splash lube engines anyway.

5b23c6170c3f6_20180602_1401571.jpg.c9292f5b82d50fd5ca22a8748fcf25a4.jpg

5b23c65a6c9fc_20180602_1401161.jpg.1ac4dbfa6a01ac69e74587f472a9338a.jpg

One day after a 3.2" rainfall -

5b23c6e4ecb7e_20180610_1255051.jpg.0051946304b195eceba85651499428f7.jpg

The chains do leave some tracks in the grass, but it soon disappears - that whole area had 2" of standing water in it when I mowed. Cleans the deck nicely, though...

You can also spot one of the common barn swallows that follow me around gulping up insects in mid-flight. They can get a bit distracting when they zip past your head at 40+mph, I've had 2 hit me by accident.

5b23c84a7e84b_20180610_1304001.jpg.882729357e11ac249d36412b5881f792.jpg

2-links work fine, but the Euro or Diamond pattern should work better and be more friendly to hard pavement and such.

Sarge