Sign in to follow this  
Rfischer

D180 - whats a good price

Rfischer

Hey all,

There is a D180 with 3pt hitch and rear PTO for sale near me. Says in decent shape, although has not run in 6 months. Wants 1200, I'm guessing would take 1000. How does that compare with what you guys are seeing?

My only experience is with a teardown of a C175. Would this D180 be bigger? What questions should I ask the seller?

Thanks

Randy

kpinnc

A D-180 is a monster compared to a C series tractor. It's a completely different beast.

Hard to even begin to help with prices- even if you have pics. But, posting a few would prolly give some of the members a general idea.

Without it running, you don't really know what you're getting into. If the engine isn't froze up, it's a good thing. But you still need an idea of the condition of the hydro. You'll need it to run for at least 30 minutes to know that for sure.

Good luck.

Kevin

williambogner

Like kevin said, Your comparing apples to oranges here. I personally have a D 160 and love it. Its a big machine, I dont really need it but its big and I like it so:). The D's are used for big work, and can do it. If you do get it running check for any leaks in the hydro, any hoses, or anything unordinary. Let us know how you make out. Thanks William

Rfischer

Thanks guys, very helpful. Not sure what this sudden fascination is with wanting to hop in the truck, drive for an hour, spend money I dont have on a 30 year old lawn mower when I have 2 new perfectly good ones already.......Seems strange....

Randy

canam1991

The hydro is usally weak in them$$$$$ steering is usally loose but can be tighten but other than that there pretty strong....

Rideawaysenior

Agreed with all of the above. My personal experience with them as many here already know, when they work properly, they are excellent machines with an exceptional amount of capability. When they need attention, get your wallet out and make sure you have decent health insurance to cover the knucle damage as well as the psychiatric evaluation that will accompany the visit from the local police when your neighbors call them because your walking circles in your driveway swearing up a storm in frusteration.

Honestly though. General maintenance is not that bad. I've got some significant hydraulic issues with my D200 that has me stumped. My D160 on the other hand gets beat like a rented mule and never misses a beat. Just keep up on the preventative maintenance and you will have a nice BIG machine that will last you.

Jack

Rideawaysenior

Oh, almost forgot, price. It can vary. I bought my D160 for $500.00 with a new deck and tiller. The D200 was even less but in that case I got what I paid for. I would venture the tractor alone running with no major problems should fetch $600 to $700. Add some attachments and it just brings up the value. Three point hitches and rear PTO's are also things that will increase the worth.

Some of the attachments that I don't see a whole lot of for these are the loaders and snow throwers. Decks and tillers are around and about. The most attachements I've ever seen in one place for them was at the Wheel Horse Show in PA. If I had about $5000.00 is spare cash, I could have gotten just about everything there was for that tractor there.

Operator

Go ahead Randy, you know you want to. I would. Can I correct something? It isn' a "lawn mower". My old Wheel Horse dealer buddy told me once that "vert. shafts are lawn mowers, horizontals are garden tractors" Doyle Wilson, Racine MN.

Randy