Bucko

1961 Wheel Horse transmission fluid/capacities

Bucko

I have a 1961 H55D 551 Wheel Horse tractor. Got it started (woo hoo), and now want to change the transmission fluid before I apply any engine power to it. Right now, the transmission appears to be locked in a gear (rear wheels are not "free wheeling"). I can move the shifter into 2 of its gears. Perhaps I need to remove the shifter and check the alignment of the shifter forks, as I read in another thread on this sight?

Once I get that sorted out, what fluid type and amount is used in this transmission?

Any other tips and tricks I should look for to get the wheels out of gear?

wallfish
2 hours ago, Bucko said:

Perhaps I need to remove the shifter and check the alignment of the shifter forks

Start there

oliver2-44

I would start by draining the old fluid and noticing if it is all oil, a mix of oil and water, or a lot of free water and a little oil. This will help decide if you just free it up,  just flush it, or open it up.

Also, I would remove the shifter and see if the forks can be moved with a large screwdriver. 

If sludge oil or water and oil drained out of the transmission, and/or one of the forks wont move, now would be a good time to fill it with diesel or kerosene, let it soak, and if possible rotate the gearing. 

If you can safely jack up the tractor rear end, put it on jack-stands  and run the tractor with the engine through each gear  to wash it out, then drain it that's a good way to clean it out.  If the diesel/kerosene come out real dirty with a lot of grit I would repeat the flushing process. 

If the shifter forks haven't freed up with the flushing and running through the other gears, it's probable time to open the transmission up. Also if almost straight water came out of the tranny its time to open it up.

Another way to run the tractor through the gearing is to use an electric motor.  I've made a very simple rig by putting a piece of plywood (roughly  3' x3') under the tractor so the jack stands will set on the plywood, then pull the drive belt off the engine and route it to the back of the tractor, put the electric motor (1/4 or 1/2 hp you don't need much ) behind the tractor and use some washers and drywall screws to hold the motor in place.

Then give it a run through the gears.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Two sections of the Lube Charts has been added to the tractor files where appropriate. Click on the picture and again on the pictures that come up on the next page.

Garry

• Like 1

Bucko

I'm missing something, or a link is missing...I clicked on the above picture, and then any other picture (only one) to obtain the capacities, specifically the transmission fluid type and quantity, but that part is missing. All I see in the way of data is serial numbers and drive belt info.

Is there somewhere I can get the recommended fluid type and quantity for a 1961 Wheel Horse transmission?

Edited by Bucko

gwest_ca

The 6th picture is the list of tractors and what lubrication code to use when viewing the 5th picture.

Here is where those pages came from

Garry

stevasaurus

Hi, and Welcome to Red Square  :)  Your transmission for the 551 should be a 2 piece #1007.  Yes, pull the shifter and see that the forks are aligned in neutral...should look like a square.  Use 90 wt and it will take approximately 2 qts.  If you need to open up the trans, we have plenty of pictures and videos in the Reference Section on the Main Page.  :)  Look for the #5025 and the #5085 thread...these are like your transmission.  :)