AndyK149

new member in PA

AndyK149

Hi All, I just picked up a 312-8 with 42" RD deck, plow and cart.  I'm giving it a tune up with plugs, belts, filters and fluids.  Going to add some LED lights to replace the old ones - should be nice in fall and winter!  I also ordered the smaller drive pulley and belt to pick up the pace if needed.  I never used the low range on any of the WH's before so am interested to try this out.  

We have a big Husqvarna zero turn which is our primary mower, but I grew up running WH's and wanted to get another mower for when my wife and I mow at the same time.  The cart and plow will come in handy too!  I regret getting a geared tractor over a hydro, but I feel like I got a good deal on the package.  Maybe I will keep my eyes out for a hydro model for the future but for now the eight speed will do.

The real reason I got it was because my little boy loves tractors and it is extremely difficult to take him for a ride on a zero turn since I need both hands to drive.  We've already been on a few rides on the 312 and it was a hit!!

Seems to be great information on this site so I figured I'd join.  I wouldn't consider myself a real enthusiast but I have at least a few hundred hours on 3xx and 4xx series WHs and really appreciate their quality.

34012840_1992685474077674_4453165398371598336_n.jpg

• Like 8

AndyK149

I am on the lookout for a bagging system with deck (I do not believe there is a bagger compatible with the rear discharge deck, but of course could be wrong)

I suppose I am also casually looking for a hydro tractor but that will be a pretty opportunistic search

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: Andy.    Should be a lot of WH bargains in your area.   And you are close to A to Z tractor sales in Malvern where you can find reasonable used tractors , parts, and implements.

Oh here is the grass collector for the RD deck.

Product Image 1

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

953 nut

:WRS:

In a couple of weeks the Wheel Horse Collectors Club show will be held near you, can find just about anything you want.

551 Nawakwa Road
Biglerville, PA 17307 

• Like 3

JPWH

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: Andy to :rs:That is a sweet looking 312.  My grandson loves to ride also.  There's just something about a Tractor Ride!!!

• Like 1

Daddy Don

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@AndyK149 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

In no time you will have another Wheel Horse, then another, then another!

These RED tractors are addicting!

• Like 1

AndyK149

Thanks all for the welcome!!

I already have my first stupid question!  Does anyone know how big the transmission drain plug allen is?  I tried a 6mm and it was very close but seemed like I need something bigger.  Just wanted to check to see for sure before I strip it.  Internal hex heads can be a pain!  The rear discharge deck has really gunked stuff up back there.  A bunch came out of the fill plug and it was chocolate milky so I want to get it changed.  Shift boot had some tears so I suspect that is part of the problem. 

And I got a yard sweeper with the package so I will try that out.  I've never used one before.  A bagger for my zero turn is about $1000 alone, which is not something I can afford right now.  I think a sweeper could be good to get up some of the long clippings from this rainy spring.  Rest of the year I will just leave the clippings.  

Edited by AndyK149
  • Excellent 1

oldredrider

Tranny drain plug takes a 1/4" Allen wrench. Make sure plug is really clean so you get a good "seat" with the wrench before turning.

Note: Unless something has been modified, all Wheel Horse nuts, bolts etc. are SAE, not metric.

Edited by oldredrider
  • Like 1

AndyK149

Thanks for the tip. Things are flowing freely now. Fluid didn't look too bad!

unnamed.jpg

• Like 1

Sparky

Sparky
23 hours ago, 953 nut said:

In a couple of weeks the Wheel Horse Collectors Club show will be held near you, can find just about anything you want.

551 Nawakwa Road
Biglerville, PA 17307 

@953 nut ...where did you get that address? 

I've been using this one in my GPS for all my trips to the big show,.   "615 Narrows Road Biglerville, PA 17307 "

rmaynard
9 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I've been using this one in my GPS for all my trips to the big show,.   "615 Narrows Road Biglerville, PA 17307 "

615 Narrows Road is the correct address. GPS 39.932974,-77.312853

953 nut
21 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I did a copy and paste directly from the WHCC Facebook Site, guess I should of spell checked them!             :no:

• Like 1

tunahead72
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 5:07 PM, Ed Kennell said:

...  And you are close to A to Z tractor sales in Malvern where you can find reasonable used tractors , parts, and implements...

A-Z Tractor is actually in Richland, which is up near Quakertown.  There is another Wheel Horse guy in Malvern, right at the intersection of Rtes. 30 and 352 if you know that area.  They've both been at the big show in Biglerville in recent years, and you'll see lots of other suppliers there if you decide to go, highly recommended.

• Like 1

AndyK149

Well its a small world.  I live off of 352 and my in laws live in Quakertown.  So I have no excuses!

The boy and I will finish our tune-up of the 312 this weekend and take it out for a rip!  The undersized pulley and a few other tune up parts have showed up this week!

• Like 3

AndyK149

We finshed our tune up.  Changed fluids, replaced fuel line and added in line filter, new air filter and spark plug.  I replaced the broken tail lights with cheapo LEDs which look OEM to me.  Added the PAR36 LEDs up front as well.  I have got to say, I'm not one on fancy lighting but the PAR36s are amazing.  A simple drop in replacement glass sealed unit.  Super bright!

IMG-0993.JPG

IMG-0996.JPG

IMG-0994.JPG

IMG-0995.JPG

• Like 2

paxz71usa

Welcome Andy!

:USA: Gary

AndyK149

I have had to do some mowing in the dark recently and wanted to come back an recommend these LED lights again.  They are absolutely amazing.  I can't recommend them enough.

I can easily mow in complete darkness now.  The only challenge is seeing the deck in relation to obstacles, rocks, etc.  The headlights are forward of the deck, so that should be expected.  

WHX??

Hello Andy in case I haven't done so :WRS:

I did a little thread on those lights awhile back. Yours seem to be much brighter!

AndyK149

Good thread Jim, i like your write up.  I think it may be possible that LEDs are just getting better as time goes by.  Some of the early ones had problems and weren't as bright - especially in the budget price range.  They continue to get less expensive and better.  

AndyK149

Also - 

I posed a "WTT" thread in the off chance that someone has a similar tractor with a hydro and would like to trade for a geared model.  I don't hate the geared version but definitely prefer hydros.  

Doesn't need to be a spotless zero hour machine but at the same time, I'm not interested in older models or stuff that needs a lot of work.  I would add cash on my end if yours is nicer than mine.  :)

In the meantime, this tractor makes a great "second" mower for us and my son still likes it.  I hope I get at least one chance to try the plow out this winter!