richmondred01

520-8 vs 418-8

richmondred01

Ive decided to do a little competition. 

520-8 vs 418-8.

to level the playing field I’ll put an electric lift in the 520. While I’m at it I’ll go through the onan and get it up to spec. 

Which will go and which will stay? 

6C69BE3B-49AB-4481-891B-8DFB2742EFAC.jpeg

• Like 2

Skipper

To me it would be a weighing of pros and cons. The electrical (potential) problems of the 500 series vs the more simple electrical stuff on the 400 series. Also you have the swept HD axle and gear reduced steering on the 520 as a +.

Both will do a good job and be up to the task so.....

Engine/power wise I doubt there will be a huge difference to notice.

If it was me, I would keep the 520, but on the other hand it will probably fetch some good $$ more so...........

Just my :twocents-02cents:

Only you can weigh the pros and cons as you see them.

• Excellent 1

Cee245

Well, from remembering some of your posts @richmondred01 you seem VERY knowledgeable and talented about all Wheel Horse. 

You stopped working on Onans recently?

You like Kohlers much better?

Maybe pull the swept axle and (gear reduction steering?) and stick that on the 418?

Cory

richmondred01

You're right I did stop working on onans. But this 520-8 is a wheel horse unicorn so I decided I would do this one. 

I will most likely stick with the 418. 

• Like 2

Cee245

Oh right! 

How many 520-8's were made? 200? Or is that the 420lse?

Cory 

shallowwatersailor
4 hours ago, Skipper said:

To me it would be a weighing of pros and cons. The electrical (potential) problems of the 500 series vs the more simple electrical stuff on the 400 series. Also you have the swept HD axle and gear reduced steering on the 520 as a +.

The 520-8 was produced for one year in 1990 and only had the swept front axle. I believe the number produced was 225. The swept axle with reduction steering was introduced in 1991 on the 520-H.

The electrical problems can be solved.

• Excellent 1

Skipper

My bad, did not know the gear reduced steering first came in 1991.

However, fixable or not, problems are problems, big or small, even though they are still just potential in this case, so I stand by saying that it should be one of the points to consider. I certainly would have it on my list of cons.

• Like 1

chip61

You could always keep both!!! :ychain:  I like the idea of the 520-8 because it's so unusual, but I would have a hard time getting rid of the 418 (that's a very nice tractor)-not to mention the known electrical issues and comments you've made in the past about the Onan engines..

• Like 3

richmondred01

We will see but I’m trying to get down to just one keeper.

• Like 1

SPINJIM

I have a 417-8 and a 418A, and love them both, especially the sound of of the Kohler twins.   I just acquired a 1992 520H, and the wiring is a nightmare.   The only reason I'm tolerating it is because it was free and it has is the gear reduction steering.   If the Onan gives me many problems, I'll be tempted to switch the gear reduction steering onto my 418A.    Definitely keep the 418 (IMO).

Jim

• Like 1

cleat

The wire harness can be pulled out completely then laid out on a bench and gone through.

I have done this with all 4 of mine. I also simplified and removed any extra wiring at that time.

I have not had any electrical issues since.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

JoeM

Because your so mechanically handy, the 520 is the keeper. Plus it is a rare machine.

If your just looking at use, I like the 418, much more comfortable for mowing and takes less space to turn.  

• Like 1

richmondred01

The engine is in remarkable condition. Cylinders within spec. Will put a set of rings in just because it’s down this far and a valve job. 

6472FCC5-0FB7-4111-9ABF-7E5C5F070ECF.jpeg

C73C8BF3-FEF5-4BE8-B4D0-69CF0D54A825.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

richmondred01

I got bored today while waiting for my onan rings, decarb gasket set and carb rebuild.

I guess I’ll clean it up, put the electric lift and do some other required repairs. It’s in remarkable shape. It’s always better to start off at the bottom and work up.

AFEAA879-28EB-4CF2-8393-FB1AF996042A.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

I'll follow along for this one.....

• Like 1

cleat

That looks like my 520HC setup.

Swept axle with standard steering.

Works great for mowing grass.

Looking good.

• Like 1

richmondred01

Unfortunately I’ve sold all my gear reduction steering. I’ll use this for now with the standard steering. 

• Like 1

cleat

If you get the thrust bearings between the spindles and axle cleaned and lubed well along with everything else it will steer just fine.

My 520HC that has the identical steering to yours steers quite easy, not as easy as the reduction, but I can still palm steer it while mowing.

Now, if you hang the 2 stage blower on the front that is a different story.

richmondred01

Engine done.

F3618349-C7F1-4EB2-B9F5-A817765B110A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

608KEB
On 6/7/2018 at 4:20 AM, cleat said:

The wire harness can be pulled out completely then laid out on a bench and gone through.

I have done this with all 4 of mine. I also simplified and removed any extra wiring at that time.

I have not had any electrical issues since.

Yes sir!😃

richmondred01

What the heck. It’s a 520-8. May as well give her a fresh coat of base coat clear coat paint.

I’ll be picking up another one (non runner) with rod and valve issues this week.

54737318-7597-4C53-A6AF-72256DEF3551.jpeg

• Like 2

oneroadkingman

How bad is it to change the steering gear mine's wore out Scott a lot of play in it but it does have the front swept axle under it I'm not sure if I even has the gear reduction steering or not it's all new to me

• Like 1

richmondred01

It’s not that bad. Mine was very easy because I have it taken down to the frame.

The column is nos, lower steering arm is new, front bearing is new and Cleat rebuilt the steering block. I’ll post some photos when get to that point. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

buckrancher

the only real problem with the 520 wiring is you need to keep the fuse block clean and what I mean by that  is blow the fuse block out with a air gun after you mow each time or put one of the covers glen petit makes to keep dust and chaff out

what happens is the fuse block gets full of dirt and then gets wet or damp and presto burnt up wiring and block if you keep it clean no problems

Brian

• Like 4

richmondred01

NOS and rebuilt steering parts. 

8E241C97-09A9-4D90-BA56-ED6DE20476F2.jpeg

• Excellent 1