Hodman

C100 engine keeps quitting

Hodman

Hello I have a C-100

I was having problems with my motor shutting off, had a new battery installed and it ran fine for about one now before it quit again. Now after I charge battery for couple hours it runs for about 2 laps around the lawn before dying..charge up battery and get 2 more laps. At this rate it will take me a month to mow my lawn. Any suggestions? I really hate to give up on this tractor and buy a brand new one 

Ed Kennell

Sounds like it isn't charging.    Could be as simple as a  corroded connection or a broken or loose wire in the charging circuit.   Could also be a bad regulator.    Could also be a short to ground somewhere. A non charging engine should run longer than two hours on a new fully charged battery.   Garry should be here soon with the wiring diagram for your tractor.  Then you can begin to check the charging circuit with an OHM meter.

gwest_ca

You can view the wiring diagram here. Click on the picture below and again on the next page.

If you want to print it out download the file.

Hard to test a charging system if a battery is low on charge or defective but worth a try. Not everyone has extra batteries. Try to charge it first.

Hope you have a voltmeter.

Turn the ignition key to the RUN position with the engine not running.

Test the voltage across the battery posts and make a note of it.

Now move the red lead to the DC+ terminal on the regulator. You should have the same voltage.

If not follow the orange wire back to the ignition switch and test for the same voltage there. The ignition switch in the Run position connects the orange wire and regulator output to the battery.

Two reasons this is required.

The voltage regulator must see battery voltage before it can regulate the charge current.

And this is the path the current takes to recharge the battery.

Dirty, loose or corroded wire connections can affect the current flow as well as a ignition switch with internal burnt switch contacts.

Let us know what you find for voltage readings.

Garry

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

daveoman1966

Just to add to Garry's info:

Be sure the RECTIFIER is grounded properly.  The 2 mounting bolts develop corrosion between the rectifier body and the hoodstand mount points.  Take it off and thoroughly clean the ground and the two bolts.   

• Like 3

JoeM

I'm with Dave on this one. About half of the problems I find have a mix of bad grounds. The other half are PO's that cut corners on repairs.

If you have a set of jumper cables you can use one to connect the negative and go straight to the engine as a second ground to see if that helps the charging issue. Just one idea.

Hodman

Thanks everyone,  I will give these a try and report back. Sure hope I can figure it out, I love this old tank but getting tired of pushing it back to garage to charge 

953 nut

:WRS:

With any electrical problem the first thing to do is have the battery load tested. I ran a 312-8 with no charging system for a couple of years and only had to charge the battery every couple of weeks. You should clean and tighten all electrical connections including grounds, this will resolve most problems.

Horseoholic

had charging issue with my 70' horse awhile back, it didn't shut off just wouldn't charge. found years of dust and crud collected on the flywheel magnets for stator kept it from charging. cleaned it up and she's been charging since

• Like 1