Duramax7man7

Custom Brass Bushings, Where to buy material?

Duramax7man7

Good Morning Fellas. 

I have another project but figured that you all would be the best source for this kind of thing... 

I'm looking for a place to order brass bushing materials that I could order to specified size and cut to varied lengths depending on the application. These would need to be standard sleeve bushings, non-flange style. Although if they had those I might find a use for those as well. 

Thanks!

Andrew

pacer

Good ole Mcmaster Carr can probably fix you up. If not there are several metal selling sites, one I like is Speedy metals.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-brass-alloy-rods/=1d5hrg5

http://www.speedymetals.com/

I have long made my own bushings on my lathe. Over the yrs I had accumulated a pretty good supply of misc scrap brass round stock, but a while back when prices went crazy I quit buying and lately I've had to really scratch to find a suitable piece.

• Like 2

Duramax7man7

Thanks! 

Unfortunately I don't have a lathe and would like to find premade bronze sleeve bushings or possibly tubing that I can cut to length. 

I'm looking for 13/16" OD / 5/8" ID with roughly a 3/32" wall. So the ID is a smidgen flexible on that size. 

lynnmor

One example, they have others: 1" long

Duramax7man7

Okay. Thanks. I may have found some on McMaster-Carr. Well see how they fit both applications. Thanks Fellas! Much Appreciated!

wallfish
  • Like 1

Sarge

Thanks for the link - that place is a treasure trove for what I need.

I just scour the scrap yards for brass/bronze scrap rounds and such - then put the old Enco to work making what I need around here. There aren't too many places that will do custom sizing without making the cost prohibitive, but that site looks really promising.

Sarge

Duramax7man7

Thanks. I actually was able to order some of the bushings from a local bearing distributor as well as got some from McMaster's and installed them. After install, they were a tiny bit tight afterwards so took a round file to the inside as well as a 3/8" round stock piece with some emery cloth wrapped around it. The center bolt bushings were nice and snug. Thanks for the help as always fellas. 

Sarge

One of the most used tools here for my die grinders is a slotted butterfly mandrel - basically, just a precision slotted 1/4" hardened rod you chuck up in a die grinder. Wrap it in your favorite bulk shop roll sanding/crocus cloth roll to the size needed to finish a hole, and just go at it. I've even refinished brake cylinders with them quite a few times when I didn't have the correct size finish reamer. The only place I've ever found pre-made butterfly reamers is Goodson, they supply engine machine shops with what they need to finish heads/cranks/blocks. If you're really good with a hacksaw or have a metal cutting band saw - you can make your own. Just keep in mind that 20-30,000rpm's can be a bit, uh, dangerous.

I have 3 different lengths of them here, they pretty much never wear out unless you somehow bend one. Even the cheapest, junk Chinese die grinder can be a handy tool with these things.

https://goodson.com/collections/porting-and-polishing/products/butterfly-mandrels

Sarge

• Like 1