posifour11

Operator error! Be sure to understand what the symptoms are and go from there!

posifour11

This one came from an "aspiring tractor puller" a few years ago. It served me well by pulling trailers around and the occasional turning the kids loose, pasture time. 

Now that I'm selling the old place and bringing everything here, this was the first one (besides my mower tractor and my easy start for the wife) to get fixed so I can take it back to drag all of my non-runners up to the trailer, since it's four hours away from the new house. 

In the couple years that it has sat unused (yes, I just rebuilt the carb, replaced fuel lines and cleaned the tank before I started it), it decided that it has two settings for the clutch. One to stop and still be in gear and one to actually change gears and be trustworthy. I've ran the already ruined hood into my already ruined work truck twice (that s10 thought it was going out to pasture when I bought it, poor thing).

So, with that background, is there a bushing or adjustment that I should start with? I'll need it soon to do a lot of dragging and pulling. I know she was abused before I got her and I haven't been nice since I bought her. 

The plus side is that the very non original engine runs great and I already have my @smoreau hitch on it. I have a couple other horses that I could take back there to do the job, but this one is the harder worker. 

Any idea on where I should start? I'm assuming that it's a linkage thing and not really the tranny. Almost all of my knowledge is shoehorned into the c series stuff. I'm lucky enough to have a Fastenal, Lowe's and home Depot close by. Even a fighting True Valve hardware store! 

Anyway, give me a direction and I'll go from there. I know she only needs a couple things to get her through this minor amount of work to the rebuild line. 

Edited for grammar.

New edit! If the engine runs, the belt turns properly, you "may" have a problem. It's still probably not the transmission that's the problem. :ph34r:

Edited by posifour11

squonk

Is the belt guard on it?

posifour11
7 minutes ago, squonk said:

Is the belt guard on it?

It is at the moment. I felt a "thump" when I pushed the clutch with one hand (and that spring is not stock) and felt on the other side. I'm just now taking a break from working on the Phillips screw that doesn't want to cooperate. Never thought a pipe wrench would be the right tool for this job. Poor horse. 

posifour11
17 minutes ago, squonk said:

Is the belt guard on it?

@squonk, I got the belt guard off and it works like a dream. I'm about to inspect the guard when I cool down. I'm betting on a bushing giving way over time. It could be the heavy spring he had, but I used this horse for a couple years before I had to leave them sitting for a couple years. 

Hopefully, it's just age and adverse use. 

posifour11

@squonk, I think I smell what you're stepping in (that's a term I learned back in the olden days in KS). 

I think it was the extra grip of the coated belts and even more from a rusted pulley. 

One more reason that this place is great! We help each other work out issues!

• Like 2