kto434

Kohler M12 fuel pump replacement

kto434

Hi all.  Turns out the fuel pump on my Kohler-powered 312-8 needs replaced.  The part number is 4739320.  Any suggestions rebuilding the original vs. buying a new one (if a new one, what brand?).  Prefer a quality replacement over cheapest possible offering.  Checking internet a genuine Kohler replacement is almost $200 (which, too me, is unreasonably steep).  Thanks.

Edited by kto434

peter lena

recently replaced my fuel pump on 312-8 , picked up the latest plastic model on e bay, 16 $ , started right up, new in line filter, idles well and responds instantly to any carb adjustments. already have about 5 hrs. on it , no issues, glad I did it , pete

• Like 2

Exhaust

Here is a link to the same part on Amazon for about $35,

https://www.amazon.com/4755904-S-4739319-S-4739320-4755911-S-1T4G3484TYG420528/dp/B01MAV76YD

I can't comment on rebuilding a fuel pump but at that price I would tend to spend the money on a new one instead of tinkering with the old. 

I'm in a similar situation myself but a carburetor is the issue.  It's about $90 for a new one.  I'm not set on buying it yet though, other issues may be playing a part in the poor running of the engine.  Fuel cap, fuel filter, might need a fuel pump, and have to open the carb up to see what condition it's in.  

kto434

thanks guys.  as far as i know the fuel pump i am replacing is original to the tractor.  i like my equipment oem when reasonably possible.  the $200 kohler wants for a replacement fuel pump (to me) is not reasonable.  i just don’t want a cheapo replacement that will leak/fail quickly.  the difference in cost between kohler and most other replacements is so big i wondered if the $25 to $35 items were essentially imported junk.  guess i will try one and find out.  i appreciate your input/comments.

Edited by kto434

Maxwell-8

Mine is leaking, I would prefer rebuilding it. I need just a new gasket What is the part number for it? Can't find it on the m12 partstlist

pfrederi

gasket.JPG

Maxwell-8
11 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Thanks but that is the gasket were the pump mounts to the engine. I explained it wrong, I am sorry.  I meant the membrane.

pfrederi

Then and now sells  membranes and other parts. 

https://www.then-now-auto.com/fuel-pumps/

However for about the same money i just go Electric  Facet Posiflo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Your Kohler "M" probably has a plastic body and "Then and Now" kits say the valves don't fit well on them. You can buy the diaphragm alone but in the long run you are best off going with a good quality electric fuel pump.        :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bill D

I've gone this route.  Homemade mounting plate, OEM Kawasaki pump.  The pump is available online for $30.  Works great.

KIMG0869.JPG

KIMG1320.JPG

gris71
On 11/21/2021 at 11:33 AM, Bill D said:

I've gone this route.  Homemade mounting plate, OEM Kawasaki pump.  The pump is available online for $30.  Works great.

KIMG0869.JPG

KIMG1320.JPG

• Like 1

gris71

Hi Bill   I was thinking about doing the same thing to my kohler magnum 12 hp my fuel pump went out and really dont want to buy a cheep plastic one on ebay the qustion I have is the plate you are getting vacuum from is made out of aluminum and are you getting vacuum from  were the fuel pump bolted on and did you silicone the plate on so you dont get leakage around the plate or screws thank you steve

• Like 1

Bill D

The plate is Stainless steel.  I just used regular gasket material to seal the plate to the block.  The fitting lines up with the big hole in the block and is the source of the vacuum for the pulse pump.