gapper

fuel pump rebuild kit?

gapper

Hello all, I have a K341S Spec 71223a. Is there a fuel pump rebuild kit for my motor? If not can someone help me with the part number of the fuel pump i need? I see so many different numbers for pumps saying they are for a K341. I would prefer to have my OEM metal pump. I am open to doing the electric pump but it would have to be a simple setup. No regulator needed. I found a old post on here that had a electric pump part number but i could not find that part. Any help would be great as i don't want to mount the fuel tank on top of the hood so gravity can do the work. LOL here is a couple pics of my fuel pumpIMG_1061.JPG.81ebd9ae1cf970bf4a2227ccbcc18220.JPGIMG_1060.JPG.22df5eaa09e8d867a49c9830443239f8.JPGIMG_1059.JPG.f1cf9c1cb5b1f25f5756167eb0f8de73.JPG

rmaynard

http://www.then-now-auto.com/kohler-fuel-pumps-2/

These might work for you, but a new plastic replacement pump, available for under $40.00 works great also.

Stealth126

I revived my original metal pump with a rebuild kit from then and now. More expensive than a plastic one, but get to stay original. Your metal is probably warped though and the gaskets they provide are thin.

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, Stealth126 said:

I revived my original metal pump with a rebuild kit from then and now. More expensive than a plastic one, but get to stay original. Your metal is probably warped though and the gaskets they provide are thin.

I haven't taken a fuel pump apart so I'm not familiar with how the castings are  shaped once disassembled.

Can the casting halves be careful he sanded such as a cylinder head can?

Or is there a commercially available sealant that will work okay with gasoline long-term?

gwest_ca

https://www.partstree.com/parts/kohler-engines/engines-horizontal/k341-71223-kohler-k341-engine-k-series-wheel-horse-16hp-11-9kw-specs-71105-71384/fuel-pump-tp-983-b-rev-9-27-2006/

The original A-236205-S has been replaced by 47 559 11S and still a good number with Kohler. You have to enter the new number to get a result.

A Stens replacement here

https://www.rcpw.com/search/?quest=a-236205s

Garry

rmaynard
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Can the casting halves be careful he sanded such as a cylinder head can?

Or is there a commercially available sealant that will work okay with gasoline long-term?

The halves can be "trued" like a head. I would not use a sealant. Stick with a new diaphragm as it's purpose is 2-fold, part of the pump, and a gasket. With the two halves trued and a new diaphragm, there should be no leakage.

• Like 1

gapper

Thank you all for the help. I will be pulling my pump apart and checking the halves and to figure out the right kit from then-now auto. I will try to rebuild my OEM before going to a plastic. worst comes to worse I will look funny driving around with the fuel tank on top of the hood. LOL

rjg854

I just took my fuel pump apart, off a 16 auto. It was leaking gas between the two halves.  One of the screws was stripped out, which I replaced with a nut and bolt. The diaphragm was still usable but has some damage. The only problem I had was, it leaks oil between the pump and the engine once you shut it down. Now I know why they had 2 gaskets on it.  So it's very doable, but before you read how to rebuild it in the kohler engine manual, there's some good tips in there. 

gapper

I pulled the pump off and after a good clean job found that the four screws that hold the halves together were loose. I tightened them and reinstalled the pump to see if this was my problem all along. The pump is working and no more gas leak. I am going to run it for awhile to see how it holds up. Now i just need to figure out the kohler part number for the air cleaner and pre filter. The filter that is on it is Aprox. 6" OD 4 5/8" ID 3" H Does anyone have the Kohler part number for a filter of this size? Thanks for all the help

gwest_ca

This is a Stens dealer in Ontario Canada and the way they display the parts info is handy including original numbers

The filter

https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewproduct.asp?i=370&p=8

The pre-filter

https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewproduct.asp?i=&p=78

Garry

gapper

Thank you, the links are just what I needed.

Mike-Casella

My apologies for being absent for so long. I just finished uploading a "how-to" video on rebuilding one of these 4 screw pumps, along with a few other miscellaneous pumps, using one of our kits. Rather than post the link to the video in this thread where it might get lost, I'll start a new one and maybe somehow it can be made to stay visible.

squonk
On 6/6/2018 at 8:14 AM, gapper said:

I pulled the pump off and after a good clean job found that the four screws that hold the halves together were loose. I tightened them and reinstalled the pump to see if this was my problem all along. The pump is working and no more gas leak. I am going to run it for awhile to see how it holds up. Now i just need to figure out the kohler part number for the air cleaner and pre filter. The filter that is on it is Aprox. 6" OD 4 5/8" ID 3" H Does anyone have the Kohler part number for a filter of this size? Thanks for all the help

Napa Prime Line 7-02226 filter and 7-02287 pre-filter.