mikeeyre74

Motion control lever cross shaft stuck

mikeeyre74

I was trying to make the friction adjustment on my motion control lever  on a 1969 charger.  I found this thread here already: 

But it just doesn’t make sense to me?  If you can’t get the cross shaft out, you won’t be able to remove the woodruff key. My cross shift is stuck. I am referring to the piece where you have to take the one bolt out of the side panel of the tractor, and then the shaft should slide out allowing the entire motion control assembly to be removed.  I have tried heat, penetrating oil for days, but it just won’t go.  I have monkeyed around with the adjustment thing (the threaded tube over the cross shift) so much now, that it is pretty deformed.  I feel like I probably should have left it alone, but I just couldn’t… Now I got myself into a bind.  It has to come out of there. I think?  What are my options? 

squonk

Pics of what you have would have would help. @daveoman1966 might be able to give you some tips. 

mikeeyre74

It’s this:

Stuck motion control

green  Arrow points to the friction adjustment thing and the yellow arrow is the cross shaft. I want to get cross shaft out of there because the friction adjustment thing is stuck to the shaft. But if one is stuck to the other, they don’t come apart. 

pacer

The ONLY way I got mine out was to saw it in two!! Even when I had the pieces on the bench they were almost impossible to get apart. I just got another from @daveoman1966 Hopefully he or some one else has one.

• Like 1

mikeeyre74

Can you describe for me where you made the cut? I don’t understand making the cut on the right-hand side (as you’re sitting on the tractor) kind of close to the side panel wall… But is that enough to get the whole thing out of there? 

pacer

Oh boy! that was about 5 yrs ago and with my poor memory ---- Looking again at your pic would seem it might take 2 cuts, one on each side?  I used my sawzall with one of those long metal cutting blades and do remember it sliced through it quickly - its gonna be ruined anyway so whatever it takes.

You might better try and run another down, Dave just might have another, it not one of the parts guys here ought to have one.

Honestly, that is one crappy set-up, even with the replacement and it all cleaned up it was a pain to fool with:bitch:

daveoman1966
5 hours ago, mikeeyre74 said:

It’s this:

Stuck motion control

green  Arrow points to the friction adjustment thing and the yellow arrow is the cross shaft. I want to get cross shaft out of there because the friction adjustment thing is stuck to the shaft. But if one is stuck to the other, they don’t come apart. 

Back off the 'threaded tube (green arrow)  COMPLETELY...  That will release tension on the spring enough to allow the frinction cone to move to the right far enough to pick out the little woodruff key.  Its ab it tedious, but it will come apart...no need to cut it off.

MOTION 001A.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 2

mikeeyre74

Unfortunately, that threaded tube only turns 1/8th of an inch in either direction, then it gets stuck. If I could back it off, I would... but it won’t move. 

MS GENERAL REPAIR

Try hitting the end of the shaft with a brass hammer while you try to turn the threaded tube.

daveoman1966
1 hour ago, mikeeyre74 said:

Unfortunately, that threaded tube only turns 1/8th of an inch in either direction, then it gets stuck. If I could back it off, I would... but it won’t move. 

Have you ever tried the product named FREE-ALL.  Best penetrant ever made.  

MAYBE use the old mechanics trick:  Heat up the collar some...not red hot... then melt a wax candle onto the threads of the tube.  Also try to melt some wax to the INSIDE end fo the tube to free it from where it is galled to the shaft.....The wax gets drawn into the threads and...theoretically... will loosen the parts.

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

mikeeyre74

I did try the hot wax trick, and that has worked for me in the past, but not this time. 

mikeeyre74

Anyone got one of these for sale? I’m gonna have to chop it out to effect this repair. I’d be looking for the shaft and that threaded tube I’m guessing? 

I suppose the Wanted section would be the better place for this...