WHNJ701

poor old commando 8

WHNJ701

Saw an ad for a cheap very rough commando 8, I guess a 1968 model, after getting the pics I saw it was complete and sitting for 25 years but not at all a resto candidate. was on my home from work stopped and it was rough, I did sorta buy it, I paid him the 50 bucks and just grabbed whatever I could pull that was worth saving, got a complete k181s, turns over! 36" mower deck, good front rims, belt guard and hood.

the rest sadly he will send to the crusher but at least some of it got saved.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:wwp:

Retired Wrencher

Sounds like it is a start and a good winter project. Many parts out there for these. Make an Wanted add here.

WHNJ701

nothing picture worthy just tried to save what parts I could, for as long as his ad I was the only contact.  I will redo the kohler and keep it on the shelf for future/ spare and the same with the deck (I like cutting my lawn with the 854 and I keep a lifetime of spare parts to keep it going), I will stick the hood up for sale if anyone needs it.  kinda of funny the old guy said it ran when parked and he was 100 %serious he drove it to where it sat for the last 25 or so years because he got a newer one, nothing wrong with it!

probably should have grabbed the trans too but it shifted hard and was drug out of the weeds in gear and the boot was gone who knows what shape it was in or if water got into it.

Retired Wrencher

jabelman  those tyranny's never die. I bought one off e-bay one time we had to left it by hand to put on the trailer. Got it home soak it in kerosene for a while it freed up and used it for a few years then sold it moved on to the next one.

oliver2-44

Go back and get the tranny if you can.