QuickTrigger

Question about 1995 520H

QuickTrigger

Hello, I purchased a 1995 520-H at an estate auction last weekend that only had 41 hours total on the machine, pretty much new old stock.. I changed oil, cleaned out gas tank and Carb.. Am I missing anything IMPORTANT Prior to firing up tractor for the 1st time since 1995? Thanks in advance 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

cleat

Make sure no rodents have made nests anywhere under engine tins, air cleaner, in the tunnel etc.

Also make sure fuel lines, hydraulic lines and wiring has not been chewed through or just cracked with age.

I would likely replace all fuel lines and filter just because of the age.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

QuickTrigger

Thanks Cleat, it was stored in a home connected garage and not in a barn or out building so Hopfully I'll escape the rodents but I will for sure CHECK those areas.. Thanks again for your time

Tractor boy

First, :WRS:.

Second, :wwp:.

And finally warning these :wh: are addicting. You may want to do yard work. 

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat: and :text-welcomeconfetti:

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:              A 41 hr. 520  ….  :woohoo:       :wwp:

Good advice above and I would also clean all electrical connections.     Simply unplugging and reconnecting several times will clean and reestablish good contact.  Do this on the molex connector,, fuse blocks,  fuses, regulator, ignition switch, starter, solenoid, battery posts,  and ignition switch and you may head off future electrical problems.

• Like 2

cleat

You could also add some good lubricant to the connectors to help keep out moisture and corrosion.

I use silicone grease but even spray on white grease will work.

• Like 3

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:

:WRS:

:text-imsorry:

:text-worthless:

QuickTrigger

Thanks Everyone, I appreciate all of the advice. . I'll add a couple pictures this evening when I get home from work.. This is my 1st Wheelhorse and I'm already amazed with the workmanship thats in these tractors.. I have a gas station by my house that sells REGULAR unleaded , no ethinol, Any recommendations on Grades of fuel I should use?? I've had older machines that hated 93 which is why I ask. Thanks again for everyone's advice 

• Like 1

Tractor boy

Seeing that it is almost original, I would run non-ethanol. Why? Well non-eth as the name implies it has no ethanol in it. This means that if you let it sit for a while your carb would get jacked with. Secondly I’ve heard it cleans the pistons. This is a myth for me but I’m not sure. As from a price point, non-ethanol is about 7.50 a quart locally for me. But that is from a hardware store in a bottle. If I were you, I’d restore it and used it as a “pavement princess”. 

-Tractorboy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

QuickTrigger

Here is a Picture . Thanks for the info Tractor Boy, The Regular gas is near $4.00 a gallon now that all gas has gone up but it was around $3.50 for a year or so.. . The little guy on the seat was a random child at the auction.. He spent a couple hours setting in the seat. His parents said they should have purchased it to keep their son occupied.. :-).. It has the rain/Sun cover installed but the plastic doors and window piece is still new in the box. I went to the auction to bid on a .22 Winchester and ended up with a Tractor :-) , That's how life goes.

FB_IMG_1527860936495.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

that is a sweet unit, as you say nos, dielectric grease is made for connections and it stops corrosion, good stuff. as stated , just going over all the possible service areas is vital . 87 octane fuel should do it , keep it fresh , add stable to it , to make it last. I would run it and check for anything , then do a full service , again to have a base line on this " new " tractor. change trans oil. wow , what a rig to start off with, in todays Chinese junk world.  thanks for the heads up , Pete 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Nice ... that rain/sun cover is part of a $900 cab! With that and the wheel weights maybe the PO was going to use it for blowing snow?? Any sign of a blower on the property?

As far as the gas goes the bad news is your horse is or will be a rather thirsty one. Nature of the 520 beast.  You can get by with running eth. laced gas but spike it with some seafoam  every now and then with storage additive or non eth for long term storage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

QuickTrigger

No snowblower but it has the 48 inch snow blade which has not been mounted, I think I'm missing a rear mounting bracket for the blade.. I did everything that everyone suggested above except Changing the fuel lines, filled it up with Regular gas with a Touch of seafoam and after 20 seconds of turning over it Fired Right up!! SUCCESS! I had about 10 seconds of smoke but I think that was just dust in the exhaust burning out?? It's running like a 20hp Sewing Machine.. Wow, This runs like no other tractor I've owned.. It has a different feel and sound.. Thanks everyone!! 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

lynnmor
4 hours ago, QuickTrigger said:

I had about 10 seconds of smoke but I think that was just dust in the exhaust burning out??

When I bought a new 520H, it took more than 100 hours to break it in and have little smoke on startup.  You have a tractor so new that it isn't even broke in yet.  After break-in, you can expect a bit of smoke from a 20HP Onan, and some oil consumption, just the nature of the beast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cleat

I get a tiny bit of black smoke when any of mine start likely from too much choke.

Never need to add any oil.

The K341 in my Ford LGT165 even after a rebuild still needed a top up of oil before every mowing.

Fuel consumption is about the same ( The Ford only had a 42" deck so mowing time was slightly longer).

I am sure you will get to love that Onan.

• Excellent 1

QuickTrigger

Hey Everyone, Can anyone tell me if this Tiller attachment will work on my 95 520-H?

The tiller originally worked on a 312-8. The guy who wants to sell it cannot provide me with the Part #

Thanks in advance for your time.. 

Screenshot_20180611-095250.png

cleat

It will work fine.

You will need the rear attachment point on your rear axle and the rear rockshaft and cable assembly for the lift.

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

Here's what @cleat is referring to...the chain and rockshaft are what lifts the tiller the rear axle bracket is what the snow/dozer blade and tiller actually hook in to, also with the snow plow you'll need the frame extension kit as well, Jeff.

IMAG3551.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.6e9559e973513071f3a95355ea3b6d51.jpeg

RaiderTiller2.jpg

IMAG3672.jpg

• Thanks 1