Sign in to follow this  
ricksrj58

D200 front rim replacement

ricksrj58

i have a 78 D200 with 1 inch spindles and would like to put 18-6.50x8 tires on the front.my speedex rims will fit but do not have bearings in them and they are not very wide.is there any other WH or others that have 1 inch spindles? i have a 73 D160 with 3/4 spindles,but i would have to swap everything and if i ever get a FEL i would have to swap everything back again.

Edited by ricksrj58

ricksrj58

or maybe i would be better off putting bushings in the D200 axle so i can use the 3/4 inch D160 spindles.if i ever get a FEL it would be easy to drive out the bushings and put the 1 inch spindles back on it.

• Like 1

pacer

Maybe if you told us what end result you are after?  Is your 200 rim one of those that is really wide - my 200 has this type and I feel sure it wouldnt like a more narrow tire. Many of the trailer spindles are 1", maybe look at this with the rim that fits them. Several of us have made up spindles in this manner - I did my 180 with 1" spindle and made use of a trailer spindle and 5.70/8 tire.

• Excellent 1

ricksrj58

i just do not like the big fat golf cart tires on it.my D160 parts tractor has 18x6.50x8 tires on it and i like the way it looks.i am just looking for a easy and inexpensive way to get what i want[easy rim swap].

ricksrj58

my D200 with fat tires and the parts tractor with skinny tires

DSC02247.JPG

ricksrj58

oops..

DSC02246.JPG

pacer

Sounds like you and I think alike regarding tires/rims, I dont particularly like the wide turfs on the 200 but they are in really good condition and like you are finding, rim choice is slim. As I mentioned, some time ago I shop made spindles for my 180 and used trailer tires, then more recently I went a bit different route on my 160 and chose a 10" ATV type tire on Kubota rims on a spindle I made up in my shop. Lastly, I just finished a refurb on a Massey Ferguson and used the original rims - with 3/4" spindle - and again mounted ATV tires. I like the way both of them turned out , some day I may try to come up with something on the 200....

This is my D-160 with the 10" on the front and the ag tires on back

image.png.199a4aec8160132f43208418f5af5b4c.png

Then this is the MF with the ATV on front and ags again....

IMG_3606.JPG.67449caefe9769ae32a3afb58d8d795e.JPG

ricksrj58

nice looking D,someday when i have room and time i plan to strip and repaint mine.

Sarge

Be careful going really narrow on the front of a D - they are far heavier on the front axle due to the larger engines (most models) and a lot of narrower front tires won't have the needed weight rating. I put a pair of 6ply ags on the front of mine and they work great. I have a detailed write-up on swapping out the D's original wheels to full tapered roller bearing trailer hubs/wheels to help with steering and durability. Great upgrade and with the Ross rebuilt/modded it steers far easier.

Sarge

ricksrj58

thanks,i will check that out.