T-Mo

Opinions on Used Dodge Ram Trucks

T-Mo

I may or may not be in the market for another truck. My '01 Dakota is doing fine, but it would be nice to have another, slightly bigger truck. I found two used Dodge Rams, one an '04 regular cab, short bed, with the 4.7 V-8 (same engine that's in my Dakota). It's a 5 speed, 2WD, no tow package it seems and has low miles on it. Based on the ad and from information I'm finding, it should have the 3.55:1 axle ratio. I haven't seen it yet nor test drove it, but from the pictures in the ad, it looks like it's in good shape, cosmetically.

Second Dodge Ram I found is an '06 regular cab, short bed, with a 3.7 V-6, 4 speed Automatic, it does have a tow hitch on it, but I can't confirm it has a tow package. It's also 2WD and low miles. I'm thinking it has the 3.55:1 axle ratio also. I actually test drove that one and it runs extremely well, goes down the road great, and has seemingly plenty of power. Someone put a K&N air filter on it. It does have some minor things wrong that needs addressing.

I would rather have the V-8, but the it has a 5 speed and I'm not that keen on having to shift again. But, I'm concerned about the V-6s towing power. I will need to tow my 12 foot single axle trailer and possibly my '47 Farmall Cub with wheel weights. Anyone have any experience with either of these truck's set ups for towing?

stevebo

Those years are when they had the rotted fender wells due to factory filled foam I think. IMO find a nice used Silverado. 

• Like 2

prondzy

The 3.7 and 4.7 are basically the same timing chain engines +/- 2cyl. The 4.7 would definately have more power. Havent seen any manual trans dodge trucks. Biggest concen with either engine is overheating will most likely require a head gasket job.

T-Mo
6 minutes ago, stevebo said:

Those years are when they had the rotted fender wells due to factory filled foam I think. IMO find a nice used Silverado. 

I did find an '03 Silverado 1500 with the 4.8 and automatic.  It had low miles and from the ad it look great.  I went to look at it and someone tried to paint over the corrosion underneath the doors.  Those era of GM trucks are notorious for rusting out underneath the doors.  I only saw a few that didn't have some serious rust there.  Anyways, I passed on the '03 Silverado.  From my viewpoint, if they tried to hide the corrosion by painting over it, what else was being hidden that's wrong with it.

I did find a nice '06 Silverado with the 4.8, low miles.  But it was above what I want to spend.  I'm limiting my budget, but do want a low mileage truck.  My criteria is hard to find.

stevebo

Yes they are known to rust if not kept up with... My 02' is still rust free so far. 

IMG_2809.jpg

• Like 4

T-Mo

I'm sort of partial to Dodges and GM trucks, but even though I'm not crazy about Ford trucks, if the right one came along, I'll look at it.

T-Mo
9 minutes ago, prondzy said:

The 3.7 and 4.7 are basically the same timing chain engines +/- 2cyl. The 4.7 would definately have more power. Havent seen any manual trans dodge trucks. Biggest concen with either engine is overheating will most likely require a head gasket job.

The 3.7 puts out 215 hp and 235 lb-ft while the 4.7 numbers are 235 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque.  The numbers on the 3.7 come in at a slightly higher rpms than the 4.7.

prondzy

Just curious dodge 3.7 and 4.7 and gm 4.8 if you are looking for towing capacity why not the dodge 5.7 and gm 5.3? both are better motors than the smaller engine you keep looking at  i would figure parts availbilty for the bigger ones would be better and cheaper based on how common they are. (Minus the 16 sparkplugs dodge has in the 5.7)

T-Mo
5 minutes ago, prondzy said:

Just curious dodge 3.7 and 4.7 and gm 4.8 if you are looking for towing capacity why not the dodge 5.7 and gm 5.3? both are better motors than the smaller engine you keep looking at  i would figure parts availbilty for the bigger ones would be better and cheaper based on how common they are. (Minus the 16 sparkplugs dodge has in the 5.7)

I would love to find a 5.7 Dodge, but at my price range and wanting a low mileage truck, there are no Hemi trucks, nor for that matter 5.3 Chevy trucks, that fits that bill.

Just a side note, from my research the 4.8 is claimed to be the more durable of the Vortec engines.  Rather or not that is true, I don't know, but as it's been said, if it's on the internet, then it must be true.

953 nut

I have an 09 Dakota extended cab V6 automatic that tows like a champ. It didn't have the tow package but I added helper springs, a transmission cooler and a Valley 2" hitch. Last year I returned from the Big Show with a 418-A in the bed and two 953s on the trailer along with lots of other stuff. I have three major mountains to cross in route and maintained moderate speeds (35 to 40) to keep the transmission from to low but was very pleased with the performance. This is my third Dakota and fifth Dodge.

59500944dc3f1_whatsinyourmerror008.JPG.da06ed39cab07d2515d55049b3953ff5.JPG

• Like 3

T-Mo

From the pictures of the '06 Ram with the V-6, it looks to have a transmission cooler.  I believe the transmission cooler is the one on the passenger side in this photo.

image.jpeg

I thought about adding helper springs to my '01 Dakota as it tows better than my son-in-laws 5.4 Ford F-150.  Adding helper springs to either of the Rams I'm looking at wouldn't be a bad idea, I think.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Step up to THE GOLD STANDARD!

20180531_082235.jpg.86aa3b6a0a668335a1f089496ffe468d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3
  • Sad 1

Sarge

The Dakota line is a lot tougher than folks give them credit for, I prefer the older 1st generation or even the old square bodied models over the later versions. I had a '07 with a full tow package, cooler and V6 that did pretty well. I will say, always thought that engine was a bit anemic most times, just lacked the raw torque of the V8's and seemed to work awful hard on hills with only 3,500lbs behind it. 

The later 2000's had some huge rust issues, which is a shame. Really though, no different than the other 3 makers in that same era - they all had their faults. I'd be more wary of the auto transmissions in that series more than anything - Dad's blood used to boil over how pathetic they were compared to the earlier era of bulletproof Chrysler drivelines.

For me, for that load range/needs - I'd go hunt down a decent 1992 Dakota in either extended cab ($$$, if you can find one) or standard cab 4X4 with the 1st generation Magnum 318. Bulletproof truck, will tow far more than you'd ever be comfortable with, gets awesome fuel mileage, and has one of the nicest power to weight ratios available. Locked in 4HI, it's nothing for one of those to be able to easily boil all 4 tires well through 2nd gear.....lol. Their body structure and frame was a great combination and the sheet metal held up really well to the elements. Very simple 1st gen fuel injection and an overall easy to work on/maintain truck. I know of several that are well over the 300,000-mile mark and still going very strong with no issues. That particular model is more comparable to a Toyota mini truck minus the rusting problems, but just as tough.

Sarge

• Like 1

Achto
23 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

I thought about adding helper springs to my '01 Dakota as it tows better than my son-in-laws

Adding helper springs makes a huge improvement when towing. Even better is a set of air bags, these give you an adjustable ride (loaded/empty). If your buying a truck with an auto trans I highly recommend that you find one with a factory tow package. A real easy tell tale for a factory tow package is to look for the tow/haul button either on the shifter or on the dash. This tow mode changes shift points that help make life easier on your trans. Plus all the other add-on"s will be there like the tranny cooler, electric brakes at least wired to the fuse block and a receiver hitch. I'm not positive but I think the 4.7L Dodge has a better trans than the 3.7L's get. 

I have an 05 Dakota 4.7L with 180k on the clock. I think nothing of hooking on to 6500# worth of farm tractors & heading to a tractor pull.

• Like 1

Tractor boy

Or you could go with a nice used f-350. 

cafoose
3 hours ago, T-Mo said:

I did find an '03 Silverado 1500 with the 4.8 and automatic.  It had low miles and from the ad it look great.  I went to look at it and someone tried to paint over the corrosion underneath the doors.  Those era of GM trucks are notorious for rusting out underneath the doors.  I only saw a few that didn't have some serious rust there.  Anyways, I passed on the '03 Silverado.  From my viewpoint, if they tried to hide the corrosion by painting over it, what else was being hidden that's wrong with it.

I did find a nice '06 Silverado with the 4.8, low miles.  But it was above what I want to spend.  I'm limiting my budget, but do want a low mileage truck.  My criteria is hard to find.

Watch those GM trucks from 1999 to 2005 brake lines rust out and sometimes blow out while driving. :auto-crash:

http://nlpc.org/2014/08/21/gm-admits-original-corroding-brake-lines-were-lower-quality-replacements/

• Like 2

WHNJ701

the biggest thing to consider is your talking about 10 to 15 year old trucks regardless of the manufacturer.  how they were maintained by the previous owners is more of factor at this point.

• Like 1

squonk

As someone who worked in the Auto business and have seen all the manufacturers problems, ( I also note I have been out of the Auto trade for the last 15 yrs.) Dodge used to have transmission and rear axle problems up the wazoo. especially the rear axle which was weird because it was the tried and true Dana design. I remember 1 winter in the 90's we had Rams lined up out side waiting for transmissions or axles. Then working at a parts store every delivery I made there was a rear axle on the floor by the door . Either a new one or a core to go back. They made there engine compartments a PITA too. Chevy and Ford have their issues too. Even Toyota has rust issues but my Tundra has over 200,000 and no rust and it won't break. See my thread in Non tractor. I would try to find an 05 06 Tundra

shallowwatersailor
11 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Step up to THE GOLD STANDARD!

20180531_082235.jpg.86aa3b6a0a668335a1f089496ffe468d.jpg

Re-badged GMC trucks.  :ychain:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

RandyLittrell

Terry, I basically have the same truck as you and I have not really been super happy with my 4.7. The power is not bad but the mileage really sucks and I have talked to guys with full size dodges and they get better mileage with a 318 or 360 than my 4.7.

I bought a 95 Silverado last summer with a 350 and automatic and I am happy with it, but a newer truck with as LS motor such as the 5.3 would have more power and better mileage. The 5.3's are pretty bulletproof from what I have seen.

I actually get better mileage in my Silverado than my Dakota, even though the Chevy is TBI, has 200,000 on it and bigger. I found one with no rust, nice shape and a rebuilt tranny for 2,600 bucks. Keep looking and you will find something you like. 

Randy 

dells68

Ok, just had this discussion today with my dad.  I had an 04 Ram with the 5.7 and was never really impressed with the power and had valve train issues.  Traded it for a 2012 Ram with the 4.7.  The 4.7 tows better than the Hemi on long trips like to the Big Show and gets great gas mileage.  I averaged 12mpg with the Hemi and around 16mpg with the 4.7.  Towing, I averaged 8mpg with the Hemi and about 12mpg with the 4.7.  I had to haul Dad's 99 Cherokee to the garage today and the 4.7 did great.  Personally, I'll never pay for another Hemi!  I was always a Chevy guy until I bought a Ram and now I love the 2012 best of any truck I've had!

• Like 1

T-Mo

My '01 Dakota with the 4.7 has been a great truck and is still a great truck.  It gets about 17 mpg empty and around 12 pulling a trailer.  It pulls a trailer better than my son-in-laws 2003 F-150 with the 5.4  But it is a bit lighter than a full size truck and the bed is just too small since it's a Quad Cab.  What I would really like to find is a low mileage, regular cab truck, with a 8 foot bed in my price range.  The regular cab, 8 foot bed trucks are hard to find, unless you they're over 20 years old or older.  The new car market the last 20 years has been demanding 4 door trucks with small, and I mean small, beds and luxury features galore.  What happened to the work truck?

• Like 3

Sparky
On 5/31/2018 at 7:01 AM, T-Mo said:

Based on the ad and from information I'm finding, it should have the 3.55:1. Anyone have any experience with either of these truck's set ups for towing?

FYI... Dodge puts the axle ratio on a decal in the glove box. 

I’m a fan of the Dodge trucks (but just bought a GMC go figure). My last two full size trucks were both 04’s with 5.7’s and 5 speed automatics. My 2500 has 3.73 gears and towed great.. My 1500 had the off-road package which gave it 3.92 gears and it also towed fantastic! 

I think all the motor/tranny combos go down the road fine unloaded but when you stick a load on em those 6 bangers are gonna struggle. 

I never had a tranny or rear end failure. I did do the maintenance on them, tranny flush and axle fluid swaps. 

Cvans
3 hours ago, T-Mo said:

What I would really like to find is a low mileage, regular cab truck, with a 8 foot bed in my price range.

I think your making the right decision wanting a long box. I wanted another pickup with a stick and found this 97 with 83,000 miles and grabbed it. Has the small V8 and 5spd with the 8ft box and I love it. The new pickup sets in the garage with a battery tender on it now. 

1997 Ford F-150.jpg

• Like 1

cafoose
19 hours ago, squonk said:

As someone who worked in the Auto business and have seen all the manufacturers problems, ( I also note I have been out of the Auto trade for the last 15 yrs.) Dodge used to have transmission and rear axle problems up the wazoo. especially the rear axle which was weird because it was the tried and true Dana design. I remember 1 winter in the 90's we had Rams lined up out side waiting for transmissions or axles. Then working at a parts store every delivery I made there was a rear axle on the floor by the door . Either a new one or a core to go back. They made there engine compartments a PITA too. Chevy and Ford have their issues too. Even Toyota has rust issues but my Tundra has over 200,000 and no rust and it won't break. See my thread in Non tractor. I would try to find an 05 06 Tundra

I love my 2014 Tundra!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1