SIUC3

1966 Wheelhorse 856 Mower Drive Belt Slipping

SIUC3

Has anyone experienced the mower drive/pto belt (part number 1577 replaced by 7430) (1/2" x 28") start to slip and squeal with the spindle belts not too tight and cutting normal grass height?  Has anyone bought a smaller drive/pto belt so it fits tighter?  Or should I just buy a couple of these belts and just keep going through them.  The one slipping now is only about 2 months old.  Any suggestions are welcome!

stevasaurus

I have had that happen.  Make sure the 3 pulleys are aligned and clean them with steel wool and wipe with mineral spirits.  Also, make sure your spindles are well greased.  I have had trouble finding the 28" belt.  I have used a 29" and it did not slip when new, but it is starting to slip now.  I found a 28" belt at O'Riley's the other day...that is the belt you really want to use.  I would not go to a 27".    :)

I take the grease covers off once a year to make sure I get the grease gun on the zerk.  also check out your blades to see if you picked up some plastic bag or fishing line...that can really bind on a spindle.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

SIUC3

Right On! Thanks for the tips!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Let us know what you find out.  It is always nice to know if we actually did help.  :)

• Like 1

squonk

Napa 4L280W 28" kevlar belt. With the PTO belt off spin the blades by hand. Check for binding. Lots of bearings in these decks. A real common problem I have found with these is that the cross shaft bearing start to sieze in the aluminum housings.

• Like 2

SIUC3

I will keep you all up to date.  I am going to be trouble shooting it tomorrow, to see if I can find the problem / solution!

• Like 1

lynnmor

If the PTO clutch slips, the belts can also begin to slip as the torque on the blades actually goes up with the lower RPM.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

@lynnmor    he does not have a PTO clutch...it is the tension pulley that works off the right pedal kind.  You are correct about the clutch thingy though.  :think:  Just did not want to put any confusion in here.

• Like 1

lynnmor
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

@lynnmor    he does not have a PTO clutch...it is the tension pulley that works off the right pedal kind.  You are correct about the clutch thingy though.  :think:  Just did not want to put any confusion in here.

Sorry about that, I just read pto and shot from the hip, should have read the title.

• Like 1

SIUC3

Sorry for the delay guys, but I did end up with a good fix! Went to O'Reilly's and they had a slotted 7-5/8" belt and works great! I'm two cuts in and hasn't slipped once yet!  Here's some pics....

1.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

• Like 2