Joshua cartwright

Need help and knowledge!

Joshua cartwright

I will be getting a 1966 wheel horse model 1076 soon maybe? The guy tells me lots of stuff about it but I need some advice from knowledgeable people. I noticed in one photo it had a pump on it and in another it was gone. He says it was the hydro lift pump for the deck. I will be using this tractor just for a ride around and to restore it for shows. Will this affect the hydro drive at all. I will try and put as many photos as I can up and you tell me......for $180.00 is it worth it? I circled main areas showing it is the same even the frame has the same wear.

2018-05-30 11.39.24.png

2018-05-30 11.38.36.png

received_10212209568376025.jpeg

received_10212209576576230.jpeg

received_10212209568256022.jpeg

received_10212209590336574.jpeg

pfrederi

The removal of the hydraulic lift will not affect just driving around. You will not be able to use any implements with out replacing the hydro lift control  or replacing it with a manual lift.   I can't see the engine clearly but it looks like about a 3.5 hp Briggs maybe a 5.  That is woefully inadequate for a hydro. 

Too much money for me...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Joshua cartwright

Pfrederi thano you. And yes it is a 5 horse I will be getting a 9 horse Kohler when it is in my possession. Do you think the over all condition is worth the 180?

Edited by Joshua cartwright

pfrederi

There is more involved in removing the hydro lift than just running the hose back to the return,  If you buy ask if he rearranged the implement relief valve in the hydro unit.

• Like 2

oldredrider

"It's a trap!" To much $ for what it is. Run. Run fast, away from it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Joshua cartwright

Oldredrider thank you. I am actually trading an air rifle I payed 180 for but same concept I guess value is value. Is it really that horrible?:unsure:

Edited by Joshua cartwright

Racinbob

I hate to say it Joshua, but that's nowhere near worth $180. It's been cannibalized and by the time you get it back in decent usable condition you'll have more into it than if you would have found a better machine.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Joshua cartwright

Thank you racinbob, I hate to leave a deal and ditch the guy but I don't wanna be scammed either. I'm just looking for something I can put some paint on and take the dog for a ride around.

Joshua cartwright

He messaged me back about rearranging the implement relief valve and said yes he did. But I think I'm just going to call the deal off.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

With that little engine your dog better be a Yorkshire terrier  :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Skipper

RUN FORREST....RUN!!! :text-lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Joshua cartwright

Pfrederi thanks bud Yeah he isn't tiny, husky about 65 pounds lol. I'll keep on the hunt but I want a wheel horse for sure. I called the deal off the guy was perfectly content I let him know my skill set is no where near his and my almost no money would definitely ensure my failure lol.

Joshua cartwright

Skipper I did indeed I knew I wouldn't be able to tackle it and than to have confirmed through all of you that it was a bigger bite than I wanted to take, I didn't feel like choking today lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, Joshua cartwright said:

I called the deal off

:WRS:

Smart move.                     :woohoo:                         That was a money pit and you are in an area that probably has lots of :wh: to pick from. The cost of replacing missing parts can quickly eclipse the initial purchase price.

• Like 2

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:Looks like a parts tractor to me and most of what's desirable in parts is already gone.

• Like 3

pacer

I'll jump in with the rest and say "run" I think 953 said it best, you live in WH country and should be able to do WAY better that that one....

• Like 1

Racinbob
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

With that little engine your dog better be a Yorkshire terrier  :P

Our Yorkie just read that and would like to have a word with you. :rolleyes:

5b0f0e149162a_KillerFleaBite.JPG.2113193922e03e5b61ecaa3589641dec.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

BOB ELLISON

Yes Michigan has a lot of wheel horse's for sale. I also live in Michigan and I see a lot of reasonable priced horse's on craigslist. Keep looking you'll find one cheap. I'm with the others let it go.

• Like 3

Tractor boy

:WRS:  These :wh: are awesome little machines. Craigslist is a good place to look or the classifieds here have a lot of good stuff for sale. You could also check with your local lawnmower repair shops as they have a lot of tradeins this time of year for those new junky mowers! 🙁🙁. I personally got my tractor from the local shop for cheap because they needed floor space.  

-Tractorboy. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
40 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Yes Michigan has a lot of wheel horse's for sale. I also live in Michigan and I see a lot of reasonable priced horse's on craigslist. Keep looking you'll find one cheap. I'm with the others let it go.

:text-yeahthat:

And :text-welcomeconfetti: to another Michigander!!!

• Excellent 2

Gracie's Dad

Joshua, they know what they are talking about. Way too much money for what you would get! I don't live too far from you, and there are plenty of places to find a wheelhorse that is in a lot better/complete state. There always seems to be one or two on CL in Otisville or Lapeer. Good luck!

• Like 2

KC9KAS

@Joshua cartwright :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

I have bought much more complete/correct Wheel Horse garden tractors for about 1/2 of what you are looking at, but you are the one looking and buying,

• Like 1

jay bee

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:@Joshua cartwright  Keep looking.  There are usually a lot of :wh: on Craigs List if you are a little patient. 

• Like 2

Joshua cartwright

Thank you to everyone on here being very helpful and I'm glad to see alot of michigan folk on here. I am originally a yooper from sault mi. And I have seen alot of wheel horses on facebook for sale. I will be getting one and I will be going all out resto on it. I think the old tractors have a look about them that we have yet to see come back, that rugged slender hood the simple but solid frame. Gotta love how they did things back than sad to see it changed to plastic and alluminum.

• Like 4