WHwest8597

Deck Failure

WHwest8597

I have had deck failure on 2 Rear discharge decks.  Any suggestions on what causes this to happen?  The first deck was I knew would happened at some point as it was rough when I bought it.  The second deck. Was also bought used, but was in really good shape and lasted me about 3 years.

KC9KAS

What part is failing? Spindles, deck shell, wheels, brackets, blades??????

The deck shells must be cleaned of all dead grass and painted/protected once in a while to make it last as long as the tractors. Spindles need greased.

• Like 4

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:

image.jpeg.8cdffa0e90812ff6ef5c6edce7ed3b6a.jpeg

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
10 hours ago, WHwest8597 said:

I have had deck failure on 2 Rear discharge decks.  Any suggestions on what causes this to happen? 

See the source image           

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

WHwest8597

Deck shell failed.  It cracked around the area where the hub and spindle are located.  The decks are cleaned after each mowing and at the end of the season.  I can't get a pic to load, says it's too big.

pfrederi

42 inch decks (like your Rear discharge) did not have reinforcements as the 48" did.  They are more prone to deck shell issues around the center pulley.  Having the drive belt really tight exacerbates the problem.  Loosen up your mule drive.  It doesn't have to be super tight, just enough so it doesn't slip in normal grass conditions.

• Like 4

953 nut

I too have had this happen, chances are a good welder can make it better than new for a few bucks. Seems that the stamping process causes some  fractures and the vibration of the blades (along with hitting rocks and branches) causes them to crack where the sharpest bends occur. I welded mine back in place welding from both sides a dozen years ago on the deck that receives the most use and have had no further problems.

953 nut
5 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

See the source image           

Don't think you have a deck problem there ED, it just got flooded!                   :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tractor boy
9 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

See the source image           

Please don’t tell me this is your tractor. 

Ed Kennell

Just clearin out the Water Lilly when she dropped in a muskrat hole.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

squonk

Took cleaning the deck too seriously! :o

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

I have seen these decks with the blade tensioner system all tightened up with dirt. I am not a fan of using water to clean decks because it washes fine dust --turning it to mud--in to the slide that operates the belt tensioner.  A clean and lubed tensioner slide will greatly reduce shock to the deck spindles. With the bladeguards removed, you should be able to see the blade tensioneer moving quite a bit and all the time while cutting grass.

Instead of the small Delrin slides under the tensioner bar, my decks all have full coverage Formica slides with silicone grease that the tensioner bar rides on.

• Like 1