Spook345

Looking at a 522xi

Spook345

I'm going to look at a 1998 522xi tomorrow. it has approx 300 hrs.  Described as like new condition except for slight paint fade.  If it is indeed in very good condition, what do you think is a fair price?  it is a one owner and was supposedly serviced regularly from the dealer that has it now.  It has power steering, deck wash down fitting and the arm rest seat.  Thanks for any replies.

Tractor boy

Welcome to red square. 

Well does it come with attachments? Or is it a bare tractor. Also does it run? And how well? With these tractors I would also check all the fluids. Also :wwp:

-Tractorboy 

• Like 1

Spook345

Thanks Tractor boy. No attachments besides 48" mower.  It's a 3 hr drive from me so I'll be seeing and driving it for the first time tomorrow. I've learned a ton from reading posts on this forum.  this is a very cool place and I'm envious of everyone's tractor.  I decided several months ago that I want a Wheel Horse.  my previous GT was a JD LX188 with a Kawasaki twin liquid cooled.  it was a great tractor but the divorce helped rid me if it.  The HST was getting weak in it anyway.  I enjoy yard projects that usually involve pulling a loaded wagon.  That's the main reason I started looking for serious GTs which led me to Wheel Horse.  I plan on testing the 522xi HST, front spindles and power steering based on things I've learned here.  Hopefully all will be good and we'make a deal.  if not, I'll keep looking until I find one I'm comfortable with.  

stevebo

Great machine. 22hp Kohler with power steering, cruise and all the other goodies. IMO it is the best of the xi series. I have a 520lxi and a 522xi. Once you mow with it you will not want to mow with anything else. Good luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spook345

Thanks Stevebo.  Is $1100 a fair deal depending on condition?  Only 300hrs on it.

ACman

:twocents-02cents: you can always dicker but..... :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 1

Spook345

Here's the advertised photo.  Hopefully, I'll add more from my driveway later today.

Screenshot_20180528-191207-01.jpeg

• Like 1

fatboycowen

In my opinion, 1100 is a great deal. I believe i paid 1600 for my 518xi 4 years ago, with 500 hrs, a deck and a plow. I do not regret the decision at all.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

Great machine in very nice condition. 

Fire it up, drive it around and ask if they can do better.  Try not to smile too much until after you've paid for it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

shallowwatersailor

That is a very fair price, if it is what they advertised. Make sure the hour meter does tick over when running. If you purchase it, do a fluid change plus filters on the engine and transmission. Engine oil can be your choice, but I always used Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W-30 from the five quart jug on mine. Also because of the hydraulic steering, there is a filter screen behind the left cooling air screen that should be cleaned.

• Like 2

Spook345

I became a Wheel Horse (Toro) owner today!  I was able to get the 522xi (315hrs) for $800.  As a long time lurker, you guys have no idea how much you helped with my decision.  You guys provided me with so much knowledge and respect for these machines.  Now I just hope I can put it to good use.  

The tractor is dirty but seems to be in good shape overall.  Starts immediately, idles well and runs great at WOT.  Drives and cuts good. My first time experiencing the Smart Turn.  I ended up cutting the guys back yard and I kinda liked that feature.  Kinda reminded me of my ex.  "Slow down.  You're going too fast for that turn!!"

Steering is responsive, no toe in, no leaks.  Test the hydro on a hill several times after warming it up and didn't slow down or hesitate in forward or reverse.  Cosmetic stuff only (I hope).  Faded paint and overall, dirty. 

Thanks again and I look forward to pestering you guys with all kinds of previously answered questions.

-- Casper

IMG_20180530_120310-01.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

Tractor boy

Cool! I know that a little bit of hot water and soap might just take care some that faded paint! As stated above I’d change all the fluids and the like. Also grass all the zerks so you have a fresh new maintenance date. Also you might want to make a doctors appointment with a mental health doctor as these tractors are insanely addicting. And also these tractors may cause a want to cut grass and plow/blow the driveway in the winter. 

-Tractorboy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

shallowwatersailor

A tip about the headlight lens. It is held in to the hood by 4 (8?) screws. Remove them and the lens assembly will slip out. There are four clips that hold it together. Pop them off (don't lose them!) and you can clean the inside. What you see is mostly dust that is in there. Clean it well, and even polish the clear outside plastic lens which will improve the appearance 100%.

• Like 1

stevebo
20 hours ago, Spook345 said:

Thanks Stevebo.  Is $1100 a fair deal depending on condition?  Only 300hrs on it.

That is a steal around here

• Like 2

stevebo

You got a great deal. Wash it good and change fluids and give it a good buff and your are good for let's say another 20 years.... 

• Like 1

WHX??

I'll second Stevebo's wash & fluids and all the good advice given above.  All too often I'll take in a horse to find hydro and engine fins plugged May not be the case with your new to me but as they say cleanliness is next to godliness. Lube per manual... if you don't have them we may have them here. I think you got a smoking deal! Any issues ask... sounds like we got a few 'xi experts here! :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Very good price on a very low hour machine. Best of luck with it and  :text-welcomeconfetti::wh:

Glenn

• Like 2

slammer302

Very nice looking xi. I've bought 3xi's over the last couple years. I always remove the deck and clean and inspect and pull the engine covers off and wash down the cooling fins. It can be a bit intimidating at first but once you do it once the next time is a breeze.

• Like 2

DennisThornton
8 hours ago, Spook345 said:

I became a Wheel Horse (Toro) owner today!  I was able to get the 522xi (315hrs) for $800.  As a long time lurker, you guys have no idea how much you helped with my decision.  You guys provided me with so much knowledge and respect for these machines.  Now I just hope I can put it to good use.  

The tractor is dirty but seems to be in good shape overall.  Starts immediately, idles well and runs great at WOT.  Drives and cuts good. My first time experiencing the Smart Turn.  I ended up cutting the guys back yard and I kinda liked that feature.  Kinda reminded me of my ex.  "Slow down.  You're going too fast for that turn!!"

Steering is responsive, no toe in, no leaks.  Test the hydro on a hill several times after warming it up and didn't slow down or hesitate in forward or reverse.  Cosmetic stuff only (I hope).  Faded paint and overall, dirty. 

Thanks again and I look forward to pestering you guys with all kinds of previously answered questions.

-- Casper

IMG_20180530_120310-01.jpeg

Man!  You did good! 

• Like 3

Spook345

Got home and it just finished raining but I couldn't stand it, I just had to mow.  Dang, that power steering is sweet.  Still liking the smart turn too.  Those Titan turf tires give up real easy in wet grass.  Yard has slight incline which we call a hill down here in Savannah, GA.   Might be thinking of putting some lugs on.   Saturday is maintenance day.  Changing all fluids and filters and cleaning the power steering filter.  Got my buffer, compound and can of liquid glass ready to got to work too.  The rear fender deck is really faded.  Looks more pinkish red.  Maybe I'll just put a breast cancer awareness sticker on and just  go with it.

Anycommendation for an online source for filters?  I'm long time believer in Mobil1 also.  

BTW Dennis, you would have been proud.  While talking with the guy I stood there with my arms crossed while continuously rubbing my chin saying, "I just don't know".  Between that and trading fishing stories with him, I saved some money.

• Excellent 3

stevebo

I would get some wheel weights for sure. I have weights and a weight bracket due to lots of hills where I mow. I bet if you wet sand with 1000 grit and then buff it will darken up. 

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2991.jpg

• Like 3

WHX??
2 hours ago, Spook345 said:

Anycommendation for an online source for filters?

Don't know about getting them on line but many of us prefer the NAPA gold or WIX filters. I got more than one tractor with those pinkish hood/fenders, may try the wet sand,  let us know what works for you.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Spook345

Great Looking 520xi Steve!!  That's a lot of weight hanging off the rear.  Surprised you don't need wheelie bars.  I'll probably be OK on dry grass.  But I do have a hankering (southern for desire) to put a set of lugs tires on it. 

Question - I haven't been able to find the filter part number for the Eaton 11 hydro unit.  Which filter do you use?

Did you get your decal from vinylman? 

WHX??

Napa 1410 or Wix 51410  on the hydro filter Spook, orginal Toro is a 79-5270.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1