Joel G

C-100 PTO Assembly

Joel G

Hi, I recently pulled the bell housing off of my C-100 and saw that the spring and the washers and thrust bearing were all bunched up in a heap of grease inside the bell housing.  I'm assuming this happened when I pulled it off/away from the motor shaft and PTO clutch plate as everything seems intact and in working order. 

As far as I can see from the diagrams i have seen online, the order of parts should be (beginning at PTO shaft):  flat washer, thrust bearing, flat washer and finally the spring sits against the bearing assembly that is (pressed in) at the front of the bell housing. 

I currently have it assembled this way and when I pull the PTO lever, the bell housing properly seats against the clutch plate with no slippage.  When I release the lever, however, the housing does not move away from the clutch plate as I would expect.  It spins freely and I can pull it out by hand (about 1/16"), however I would have expected the spring to create more of a gap between the housing and the clutch plate when the lever is released.

I just wanted to check with someone who knows before I fire it up like this, start mowing the lawn, and break something.

Thanks,

Joel

squonk

They have stopped using the little spring set up in the PTO's . Just leave them out. What you are describing now is fine.

• Like 1

Joel G

Thank you very much Mike.

The pulley does spin when I run the tractor (even when disengaged), however I have yet to put a belt on the PTO and put a load on it.  I am curious to see if it will rub against the clutch plate and make noise or get hot.  I'm hoping that the load on the pulley will pull it away from the clutch plate.

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

What you have described is normal, on the later models a small brake shoe was added to prevent the PTO bell from rotating when disengaged but it is no big deal. When you put the load of a mower deck on it the likelihood of it continuing to spin is minimal.