Wheelie horse

NEED HELP 416-8 won’t shift into gear

Wheelie horse

Was cutting the grass today with my 416-8 I went to switch from 2nd to first gear and then it would not move and the shifter had no tension in it almost as if it was broken you could move it into any gear without clutch and nothing would happen. If anyone can help that would be great what could this be 

Irv

set screw (dog point) either loose or broken. Take off shifter plate and raise boot and you'll see.

• Like 4

Cee245

Ugh Sorry to be bearer of bad news but you might need a new shift fork and other parts for that uni drive.. You will probably have to open up the transmission. I have rebuilt my dad's and it isn't too complicated if you have a little know how. Good luck to you.

Cory

Cee245

Right. @Irv. And make sure to replace the shift boot when making any transmission work. 

ericj

check and make sure you didn't knock the high low range shifter in neutral, don't ask me how I know this :hide:

eric j 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Pollack Pete
9 hours ago, ericj said:

check and make sure you didn't knock the high low range shifter in neutral, don't ask me how I know this :hide:

eric j 

Duh.....did this just this past  Saturday on my 414-8.Mowed about 10 feet and the tractor stopped moving.Pushed it back to my shop,pulled of the right foot rest and drive belt cover.Belt was real loose,but not bad enough to make the tractor not move at all.Thought something broke in the tranny.Standing there looking and feeling stupid,I glanced at the hi lo shifter.It was in neutral.What a relief.Installed a new #7473 belt that I already had.Goes like new now.Belt should last another 30 yrs.Good luck with your problem.

• Like 5

slovenc0417
On 5/28/2018 at 9:27 PM, ericj said:

eric j 

Oh what a relief!  My brother was visiting for the week and wanted help around the house so we gave him a quick tutorial on how to operate our Wheel Horse.  He cut about 80% and all of a sudden it wouldn't move. 

"So what did you do?" :confusion-confused:

"I dunno?"  :unsure:

:angry-banghead:

Now we know!  Oh what a relief! :D

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, slovenc0417 said:

we gave him a quick tutorial on how to operate our Wheel Horse.

:WRS:

Glad you were able to solve the problem. Please do an introduction and tell us about yourself and your :wh:.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/47-introductions/