clueless

Gas stabilizer.

clueless

I've been using this stuff for the last 8 years, PRI/G. I ran across it at the local JD tractor dealer, the guy said they had been selling the PRI/D (for diesel) for years. The farmers use it in their large diesel storage tanks, he said it works great so they started carrying the gas formula. Supposed to keep gas fresh for up to a year, and then you can retreat it every year, also heard it will freshen up old gas. I don't know about all that, but have used treated gas that was at least a year old and it looked and worked fine. At the beginning of hurricane seasoning I treat 60 gallons of gas with it. It's cheaper than

StA-Bil,1oz treats 16 gallons of gas, a bottle on Amazon costs $29.99 and treats 250 gallons. It also supposedly does more the StA-BIL does for your engine, top end, and carb stuff, again I don't know about all that. I can say in the last 8 years I've had no carb issues with any of my stuff. Now, I only use non ethanol gas in my equipment so maybe this is over kill, I am a bit anal, but it's cheap and I want my stuff to work when I need it. I have used it in my truck, and when I do I get a mile more per gallon.

2015-PRI-G-Flyer.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

doc724

I have been using SeaFoam.  Under $7 at walmart for a can.  1 oz per gallon.  If you are going to use Sta-bil, get the green kind which is used in marine engines.  I have been told that the red sta-bil contains alcohol (to absorb water) and lord knows there is already 10% alcohol in the gas at the pump.

I am a snowbird.  I see first tropical depression is heading your way.  Let's hope this season is kinder than last season

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Kenneth R Cluley

Been using the Marine Sta-Bil and sea foam in all my small engines for years as well as non-alcohol fuel with no issues. Who knows what is really coming out of that nozzle! thanks for the info on PRI/G. On West coast south of Tampa Bay and just a little tired of the rain.

WHNJ701

seafoam and 93 octane, no issues 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

varosd

Just using ethanol free gas for all my small engines and my 67 Camaro. About a dollar over the premium gas but worth it. It’s like 1970 again. 42 cents was the lowest I remember (only had full service back then in CT. )

Pure gas. Org website used to show all the ethanol free gas stations. Others have used marine or aviation fuel

• Excellent 1

JoeM

I seen this stuff at Home Depot, seems interesting.

I have been using Sta-Bil with no issues.

I talked to the guy at a local mower shop and he said the use Briggs and Stratton 5 in 1. They treat their main fuel cell with it.

I just can't convince myself to drive and extra 13 miles, one way, for special none-e gas that going in an old engine. Just me!

EthanolShieldHomeDepot.JPG.82f473a3b3a406d31e3ef269c57d2a00.JPG

Edited by OILUJ52

953 nut

If you use ethanol free gas you don't need to add StaBil.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

cschannuth

I use Stabyl in my tractors and old cars. Some of them go for months between starts and they always start right up. Unfortunately, I can’t get ethanol free fuel in my neck of the woods. 

• Like 1

clueless
16 hours ago, doc724 said:

I have been using SeaFoam.  Under $7 at walmart for a can.  1 oz per gallon.  If you are going to use Sta-bil, get the green kind which is used in marine engines.  I have been told that the red sta-bil contains alcohol (to absorb water) and lord knows there is already 10% alcohol in the gas at the pump.

I am a snowbird.  I see first tropical depression is heading your way.  Let's hope this season is kinder than last season

I used SeaFoam in all my outboards, and inboards from the early 70s thru the 90s, then switched to STA-BIL. After hurricane Ivan in 2004 I went back to SeaFoam, used it in any gas that was not going to be used in 30 days, then I switched to PRI/G 8 years ago. I think SeaFoam is great stuff, Lord know on this site and many others it's considered the Love Potion #9 for the internal combustion engine :auto-dirtbike:. After 8 years of using it I think this stuff does everything SeaFoam does and is far cheaper, cheaper being the optimum word. An ounce of seafoam treats a gallon of gas, an ounce of PRI/G treats 16 gallons, their both 16 ounce bottles. So it would take 16 bottles of seafoam to treat what one bottle of pri/g does,  16 x $7.00 = $112.00 vs $30.00.

If you only going to treat 20 or 30 gallons of gas a year, then seafoam is cheaper. I don't know what the shelf life is for PRI/G but I'm on my second bottle after 8 years and it still works great. I just thought I would give everybody another option when it comes to stabilizers. 

A couple of years ago I talked to a customer service rep at the company, I told him that if they made smaller size bottles, 8 oz, or even 4 oz, and sold them in small engine shop, it would definitely increase sale, he said they did't have plans at that time to go to smaller bottles. 

Don, as far as the tropical storm goes, like most of these early in the season storms once they start to hit dry air they have to work harder,so they just start to peter out, kind of like a Tecumseh :rolleyes:.

• Thanks 1

pfrederi
11 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I am not so sure about that.  Even in the old days with real gas and even lead, gas eventually went bad  Stabil was around long before ethanol gas...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

clueless
30 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I am not so sure about that.  Even in the old days with real gas and even lead, gas eventually went bad  Stabil was around long before ethanol gas...

I've been storing gas during hurricane season for the past 14 years. During that time I've experimented with a few small cans of different gases, high octane, low octane, ethanol, non ethanol, with stabilizer and without. After 8 months they all looked and smell a little funky with out stabilizer, the octane didn't seem to matter much but the ethanol sure did. The ethanol, was just plane nasty, the non ethanol was much better but still looked and smelled worse than a fresh jar of non ethanol. All the gases with stabilizer did far better. Pour some ethanol gas in a jar and set it somewhere safe opened, after a few day take a look at it :unsure: then check it after 30 day, I guarantee you don't want that s**t sitting in you tank or worse your carb. If you use ethanol gas and your not going to completely use it up in 30 days please use some type of stabilizer, what ever kind you like are can find, I would appreciate it, I might be buying that tractor from you one day ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
On 5/28/2018 at 9:45 AM, pfrederi said:

Paul, I didn't mean it would last in perpetuity. I am presently using gas that I bought last fall and it has nothing added. My street rod truck sat for a couple years unused due to injuries we sustained which made it a low priority. It started right up and ran well on ethanol free gas that was about three years old. Must admit it ran better when some fresh gas was added to the tank, but the three year old stuff was good.

On 5/28/2018 at 10:53 AM, clueless said:

storing gas during hurricane season for the past 14 years.

When I lived in South Florida and maintained a stock pile of gas for our generator ( ten 5 gallon cans) I would rotate the stock, when my truck needed fuel I would use the oldest cans to fill it and then refill those cans so the stock pile was always relatively fresh.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
On 5/27/2018 at 10:21 PM, 953 nut said:

On 5/28/2018 at 9:45 AM, pfrederi said:

18 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Paul, I didn't mean it would last in perpetuity. I am presently using gas that I bought last fall and it has nothing added. My street rod truck sat for a couple years unused due to injuries we sustained which made it a low priority. It started right up and ran well on ethanol free gas that was about three years old. Must admit it ran better when some fresh gas was added to the tank, but the three year old stuff was good.

When I lived in South Florida and maintained a stock pile of gas for our generator ( ten 5 gallon cans) I would rotate the stock, when my truck needed fuel I would use the oldest cans to fill it and then refill those cans so the stock pile was always relatively fresh.

Yep. You're both right. Non-ethanol gas is definitely better but as dick said it doesn't last forever.

I don't use any stabilizer in any of my engines at all but I also don't let them sit for more than 4 to 6 months for any reason. I don't have any extra equipment so everything gets used in rotation.