702 timmy

k-341 for a k-321

702 timmy

looking at upgrading my c-100 10 horse to a 16 horse. Can a k-341 fit into a c-100 space?  Any complications? Thanks  timmy

wallfish

It'll fit.

The only thing may be the spec of the replacement engine. Wheel Horse spec Kohler engines have threaded holes in the bottom of the oil pan for mounting bolts to go through the frame and into those threaded holes. You should see these threaded holes in your 10hp oil pan

• Like 2

702 timmy

I think the k341 is from a wh Richmondred has it. Thanks for the answer, has anyone done this before?

thanks tim

oldredrider

I do it all the time. Like Wallfish said, if it's a Wheel Horse spec engine,  it'll work.  BTW, your 10hp pan will bolt right up to the 16 if you need that style pan.

Plug and play.

• Like 2

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat: As long as the K-341 isn't off a shaker mount. For all practical purposes a 10, 12, 14 and 16hp models are the same size on the exterior. I put a 16 on a 76 B-80 and it was bolt in but in 76 and 77 the B's were the same frame, tranny, etc. as the C's.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

Aint nothin like a Thumper! :banana-wrench::banana-wrench::banana-wrench:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

123GO

Oh' the wheels in my noggin go round & round, all daaay long, Humm Humm.

Sorry if you sing that later, if not well I tied...lol 

Been thinking over winter I may put a 14hp on my old smokey 310-8 Wheel Horse? Didn't know a 16hp was same dimension?

I know this post is real old but if anyone reads it again I have a few questions. Its curiosity at this point, only asking because last yr when I looked at rebuilt short blocks, K series were both cheaper & easier to locate. Surely best to keep a Mag on Mag & K on K Tractor but fwiw just how much hassle is it to swap?

Q1) Mag to K-Series?

Can one put a 14hp Mag engine on K10 Tractor very easily?

Q2) Ignitions?

Tractors with 10hp Mag have (elect ignition) vs K-Series Points? What changes are needed?

Q3) Charging?

I assume the oem starter & charging system simply remains same?

Any changes necessary here?

Thanks all....

Gasaholic
10 hours ago, 123GO said:

Oh' the wheels in my noggin go round & round, all daaay long, Humm Humm.

Sorry if you sing that later, if not well I tied...lol 

Been thinking over winter I may put a 14hp on my old smokey 310-8 Wheel Horse? Didn't know a 16hp was same dimension?

I know this post is real old but if anyone reads it again I have a few questions. Its curiosity at this point, only asking because last yr when I looked at rebuilt short blocks, K series were both cheaper & easier to locate. Surely best to keep a Mag on Mag & K on K Tractor but fwiw just how much hassle is it to swap?

Q1) Mag to K-Series?

Can one put a 14hp Mag engine on K10 Tractor very easily?

Yes, fairly easy. can go either way (complete K series in place of Magnum, and vice versa) Only real differences to think on: Rewiring (You'll need to swap out ignition switch, best to understand wiring circuits and how to test each circuit so you can verify you got things wired right before hooking in battery!)  and engine mounting (Oil pans mainly - but oil pans can be swapped out between the 2 blocks however - Magnum block is basically a K series with magneto coil mounting standoffs added and breaker plunger hole plugged off - You can use a magnum block to rebuild a K series, but not the other way around.) 

Q2) Ignitions?

Tractors with 10hp Mag have (elect ignition) vs K-Series Points? What changes are needed?

Pretty much new switch and some wiring changes, as noted above. 

Q3) Charging?

I assume the oem starter & charging system simply remains same?

Any changes necessary here?

Thanks all....

charging systems and starters are pretty much interchangeable between Magnum and K series.  

Depending on your skill set & know-how for reading wiring diagrams, you can swap out a Magnum engine for a K series fairly easily (For the K series short block , you'd need points, condenser, coil, breaker plunger, breaker box cover & related hardware to replace the magneto ignition of a Magnum)  which means you would need to re-wire switch & electrical harness to suit the changeover. 

However, a K series short block won't work to rebuild a magnum, as noted the K series will not have the magneto coil standoffs (cast into the cooling fins area) so there'd be no way to mount a magneto coil to the engine.   However, a Magnum short block can possibly be used to rebuild a K series (Depending on how old the short block is, older blocks still had the breaker plunger hole & screw threads for breaker points & cover, they were just plugged off with expansion plugs) - It'd just need the holes for breaker plunger, breaker set & breaker cover drilled & tapped.. Otherwise the blocks as a whole are pretty much identical between K series & Magnum. 

kpinnc
2 hours ago, Gasaholic said:

However, a K series short block won't work to rebuild a magnum, as noted the K series will not have the magneto coil standoffs (cast into the cooling fins area) so there'd be no way to mount a magneto coil to the engine.   However, a Magnum short block can possibly be used to rebuild a K series

Actually the blocks and internals are the same. The aluminum bearing plate on the flywheel side is how they differ. You can swap them (be sure to reset the crank end play with the paper shims), and remove the points pin plug for Magnum. 

Gasaholic
1 hour ago, kpinnc said:

Actually the blocks and internals are the same. The aluminum bearing plate on the flywheel side is how they differ. You can swap them (be sure to reset the crank end play with the paper shims), and remove the points pin plug for Magnum. 

Right - As I said, POSSIBLY.   Early magnums used the K series block and still had the mounting and holes drilled for the breaker points. However, later magnums did not have the plunger hole or breaker mounting screw holes drilled and tapped, so you could not use those blocks to build a K series (no place to put the points).  As to going the other way you'd be right, you can use a 10-16 horse K series block to build a Magnum - I was wrong on that point, I think. 

(Foggy memory - I seemed to recall they had spots cast into the cooling fins for mounting magneto coil, but that may have been a different engine brand..? I've been retired from the business a long time, so I couldn't recall why we couldn't use a K series block on a Magnum, I just seem to remember not being able to do that a couple times, but maybe it was the 8 horse Magnum? Just know there was some stumbling block on a couple particular rebuilds we did, but this was back in early 1990's.  Or maybe it was just the aforementioned points mounting issue.) 

squonk

Not all charging systems are the same. Some have the 2 wire stator. some have the puny 3 amp single wire

• Like 2

123GO

Great, exactly the info I needed, glad I'm not so limited. Haven't looked very hard for a Mag, only for a minute actually but I just noticed each time only reman K's were available.  It just made me wonder if I could swap it to one if necessary?  I never even considered doing a Mag/K swap? 

Big thanks, I can handle this one easy & appreciate your knowledge & your time here folks. 

Edited by 123GO