bizzo15

314-8 won't crank after doing some maintenance

bizzo15

Good Morning Everyone!

Yesterday I decided to give my 314-8 some beginning of the season love and I pulled the deck off washed it, greased it, and sharpened the blades, as well as changed the oil on the tractor and greased it.  After putting everything back together I went to start it to move it and it it wouldn't start.  I turn the key to start and the engine doesn't crank at all.  At first I thought it had to do with the oil pressure switch since I had just changed the oil and the engine oil light goes on when I turn the key on but after researching that it appears that engine would still crank over even if the switch was bad.  I decided to jump the solenoid terminals for the starter with a screwdriver to see if the engine would crank and sure enough it cranked over and fired right up.  Does this mean I have a safety switch issue?  When the tractor is running all the safety switches appear to function(seat, pto, brake) so I'm not sure if that's the issue or not.  I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction for troubleshooting.  I do have a multimeter to use to do some testing as well I just don't know where I should start.

Thanks!

oldredrider

Try wiggling the PTO lever while turning the key to "start" position. May just need to find the sweet spot for the PTO safety switch.

• Like 2

clueless

:text-yeahthat:

bizzo15
2 hours ago, oldredrider said:

Try wiggling the PTO lever while turning the key to "start" position. May just need to find the sweet spot for the PTO safety switch.

I should’ve mentioned that but I tried that with no avail, I have a hunch it’s the ignition switch or wiring but don’t know how to rule it out. Very weird that it was fine until after I changed the oil and now won’t crank. Makes me wonder if I knocked some wiring loose. Going to head back out to the garage and troubleshoot it some more I’ll keep you posted if I figure it out!

953 nut
1 hour ago, bizzo15 said:

wonder if I knocked some wiring loose.

Logical conclusion. Could be the wire from the key switch to solenoid.

bizzo15

So I went back to the garage and tinkered with the horse some more and figured it out.  It was the pto switch as oldredrider mentioned, after giving it a good slam in the disengaged position it fired up.  Apparently I was too gentle with it yesterday.  I did notice that it appears that battery acid has corroded the plastic connector for the pto switch wiring, I doubt I will be able to find a replacement connector so I'm wondering if I should get the connector off and crimp on some spade connectors, any thoughts?  Is there any kind of adjustment for the pto switch, maybe it's just out of adjustment?

• Like 1

953 nut
39 minutes ago, bizzo15 said:

I should get the connector off and crimp on some spade connectors,

You will find that Delphi Packard terminals will hold tighter.

• Like 1

peter lena

make up a jumper wire to bypass possible switches, that will make it easy to quickly solve your issues . also go after any corrosive points with clean up and dielectric grease. also check any fuses that might apply, replace if in doubt, again dielectric grease. I think w/h wiring is the most aggravating part of the unit. there are better switch/connections available .also that pto switch, is on a sloppy lever set up, going back to its lever start, you can add flat washers and new safety pin, and lubrication that will make it work like it should. done that , pete

• Like 1