702 timmy

how to test hydro

702 timmy

looking at buying a hydro. I need to know how to test it so I know if it is strong and anything I should look for or at to see if it will be in good shape. New to the forum. I bought my first horse in 1969, a 702. I was only 11. Did not know what I had then.

daveoman1966

1st.. check the fluid level.  DO NOT OVERFILL.  (if pinkish = ATF, otherwise use 30w oil). 2nd... drive it around for 10 minutes or so to bring the oil up to normal operating temp.   3rd...try to drive it FORWARD up a steep hill, turn around and BACKWARD up the hill. (If it doesn't pass this test, the hydro pump and/or hydro motor are in need of rebuild .) 4th...use chain to tie off to a tree to see if rear wheel(s) spin.  If it passes all these tests, taake it home.  If it has hydraulic lift, work that up/dow too.  Also...after the 'testing' If you see oil drips on the floor, it will probably need seals somewhere.      

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

702 timmy

thanks for the info. I used this method and the c-160 passed.  now I have to change all the fluids .  thanks   tim