"Manic-Mechanic"

Gravely ZT 1842 XL Model 915118-PTO Clutch 03370600

"Manic-Mechanic"

Hello,

I have mowed with this machine for over 8 yrs, strong and fast. Lately the clutch has been killing the engine when engaged and if I pull the pto switch quickly while starting, it'll engage the blades and work fine. However, I believe this has damaged the pto switch as the clutch is going bad. I checked the entire harness, switches and relays, not excluding the ground. I replaced the pto switch and thoroughly checked the entire electrical system, the power at the plug to the clutch is showing the charging voltage while running just above 13v. I do not want to "trick" the clutch to engage risking further damage to the new pto switch and or other components in the system. Yes, there is a fuse to protect the relays and such, but something isn't quite right. I have had this machine almost a decade and had little or no problems, so it stands to reason the clutch needs replaced. I can turn the power on, engine off, and hit the pto switch the clutch will kick on and off but then it will not do so while the engine is running, it'll kill the engine. I did bypass the seat switch while working on the circuit. I hope all is well before I spend 300 bucks on a clutch! I ask if anyone can suggest additional tests to rule everything else out before just "throwing" another part at the machine? Also, a good clutch replacement with maybe an upgraded unit? I see a Warner 5219-91 is a replacement that requires a plug change. A bit leery on that one......Anyone suggest further test before buying another clutch? Appreciate any insight.

Oldman

03370600.jpg

Stormin

I know nothing about electric clutches, but are you sure it's the clutch that's killing the engine? Could it be something down the line? If the drive belt from the clutch is detached, does engaging the clutch kill the engine? Just some thoughts.

"Manic-Mechanic"

Yep,

I went through everything once again and then attached the clutch to the circuit and started it up right, hit the pto switch and "viola"! New pto switch and need a 30@mpfuse, running a 25@mp temporary..It's been good so far, glad I didn't jump on a clutch, glad it's a Holiday Week end! Lol

Tractor Factory

ZTXL 1842 Factory.JPG

Tractor Custom

IMG_2888.JPG

Oldman

Edited by Oldman
Update
  • Like 3