richmondred01

520-8 Electric Lift

richmondred01

Looking for everyone’s thoughts about installing a wheel horse electric lift on a 520-8.

953 nut

Lots of threads on here about how well people life the electric lifts, the picture below shows all tghe parts and pieces needed. Probably the most challenging part would be changing out the rockshaft. Put an ad  in the classifieds, someone is bound to have one.

IMG_0197.JPG.2fec45fedf255dc9e5d528e52f6922be.JPG

• Like 2

Jerry77

46 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Probably the most challenging part would be changing out the rockshaft.

if you are asking if I like the electric lift, the answer is yes...I bought my 516h because it had the lift..at my age the manual lift on my 314-8 had become too much..it is slow compared to the hydro lift, but it is precise in the level that you want...that coupled with the eaton 1100 that I got from you made a really nice wheel horse tractor for me..:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

richmondred01

I’ve got several electric lift kits and I’ve done the swaps before. My question is would I be doing an injustice or decreasing the value of a rather rare tractor by modifying it with parts that didn’t come with the tractor.

Edited by richmondred01

gwest_ca

Not at all because the 8-4227 lift kit was an option that could be added to the model. Look at the attachment list.

Garry

• Like 2

T-Mo

If you have the 60 inch deck, my thought would be if the electric lift was powerful enough to lift it.  Some electric lift requires helper springs, plus they're notoriously slow on some models of some brands.  I'm not familiar with the Wheel Horse ones, so my experience/knowledge is limited.

richmondred01

Excellent point regarding the kit. 

Any 520-8 owners out there with a electric lift?

ive got on on my 418 but that came factory.

Edited by richmondred01

SPINJIM

It depends a little on how much weight you want to lift with it.   If you're lifting a deck or a small plow blade, it works great.   The lifting height on mine doesn't seem to be as high as my hydro lift when using a plow blade.    I tried a snow thrower on my 417-8 with electric lift, and it really strained to lift it, so I'm going to hydro lift for the snow thrower, and and electric lift for the blade.    At one time, WH sold the electric lift as a complete kit for upgrading.   My 417-8 was a retro-fit.   Don't know if Toro still offers it.   You will probably have to find a used cover plate for the left side because it sticks out farther to accommodate the electric actuator.   Good luck.     Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
additional info

midpack
10 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

I tried a snow thrower on my 417-8 with electric lift, and it really strained to lift it

I ran that same combination last winter (417-8 with electric lift) and it wasn't any different than when I had the snowthrower on a hydro lift

SPINJIM
2 minutes ago, midpack said:

I ran that same combination last winter (417-8 with electric lift) and it wasn't any different than when I had the snowthrower on a hydro lift

Maybe because I tried it for the 2-stage snowthrower that is much heavier.