Dakota

8hp 4 speed not charging battery

Dakota

Hello everyone I got a wheel horse 8hp 4 speed a few days. The wiring was not good and it had cracked wiring everywhere. The recifier was disconnected as well. I replaced all the wiring, put in a new ignition, and connected the recifier. I’m pretty sure all my wiring is correct because I followed a diagram for my model step by step. However I do not beleive me battery is getting charged. I am aware how the system works, there is a stator under the flywheel cover, it has 2 wires going to the recifier and then one going from the recifier to the ignition. So I’m wondering if one of those 2 need replaced but I was looking for some other input on the situation. When I start/stop the tractor enough times the battery doesn’t have enough juice to start it again which leads my to the not charging theory. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

953 nut

5b0898b371432_1electrical.jpg.068c32a7da9e3ed3de4488204eed7c2b.jpg

• Like 2

Dakota

How do I load test it?

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Dakota said:

How do I load test it?

Call your local auto parts store and see if they can do it.

Also, Do a search here on Redsquare to see how to test the output of the stator.

8 hours ago, 953 nut said:

5b0898b371432_1electrical.jpg.068c32a7da9e3ed3de4488204eed7c2b.jpg

We can't stress enough how important it is to be sure ALL wires, cables, etc have clean ends.

And... Once you've established that the stator is working... Remove and clean the mounts for the rectifier. It can Only be tested with engine running and Only if the ground is clean.

• Like 2

rmaynard

Do you have a multimeter? First step is to check the battery voltage without the engine running. It should read 12+ volts. Then check it with the engine running at about half to full throttle. You should be getting about 13.5 to 14.8 volts DC.  If you aren't getting this voltage when running, then you need to start working back to see where the charging voltage stops. Many times the problem is in the ammeter. The voltage from the rectifier goes through the ammeter. If it's bad, it stops there. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

rmaynard

Just thinking, your model may not have an ammeter.

8-4-wire.jpg.b58930f9a5a7d4e0b7ac4cb029a7daec.jpg

• Excellent 1

Dakota

@rmaynard yes I have a tester, the only thing is I’m not sure if it’s giving acuarate readings. Even when I ran the battery dead because my tractor wasn’t charging it the meter still read 12v. I tested it while the engine was running and it read around 6v. And no it does not have a ammeter, the stator wires go straight to the recifier then from the recifier to the ignition with nothing inbetween.

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Dakota said:

I have a tester, the only thing is I’m not sure if it’s giving acuarate readings

I have found the the internal 9 volt battery in a multi meter can give bad readings if it is week.

• Like 1

Dakota

Both of mine take 1 AA battery and I’ve already put in a new one and the reading was the same

• Like 1

953 nut

Here are some threads that may be helpful, only ones on S/G VRs I could find.