UncleJerm76

'61 Rock shaft removal tips needed

UncleJerm76

I'm trying to remove my original 701 rock shaft and this is become a battle of wills between myself and the 701. Took me three days just to get the roll pin out. But rock shaft isn't budging. Been soaking in penetrating oil - no luck. Any tips for getting it out without destroying the thing? Do I just hammer on the shaft that goes out the right side of the frame to break it free? Do I need to take apart anything else other than the roll pin in order to slide it out? :wacko:

Shynon

Good luck I had a rock shaft and lift arm that was cut free from the hood stand, tried heating it and it just twisted inside the rock shaft.  

• Sad 1

gwest_ca

Have a spare auto battery that holds a good charge and a set of booster cables?

Hook one cable to the levers. Hook the other cable to a piece of iron bar (so you don't burn the cable clamp) and hold it to the shaft.

The idea is to use the battery current to travel down the shaft, through the rust between the shaft and lever to the lever and other cable.

Rust is resistance to current flow so it should get hot and you may see a puff of rust come out if it works.

Usually a 2-3 second shot is all it needs.

You can also use an AC stick welder instead of a battery.

Garry

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2

953 nut

Great tip Garry @gwest_ca! If using a battery I would caution you that a dead short like that could cause the battery to explode so it is best to cover it with an old wool coat and weight down a plastic container over that. Eye, face and hand protection should also be used.

Image result for safety first

• Like 5

UncleJerm76
On 5/25/2018 at 7:24 PM, gwest_ca said:

Have a spare auto battery that holds a good charge and a set of booster cables?

Hook one cable to the levers. Hook the other cable to a piece of iron bar (so you don't burn the cable clamp) and hold it to the shaft.

The idea is to use the battery current to travel down the shaft, through the rust between the shaft and lever to the lever and other cable.

Rust is resistance to current flow so it should get hot and you may see a puff of rust come out if it works.

Usually a 2-3 second shot is all it needs.

You can also use an AC stick welder instead of a battery.

Garry

Wow this is new to me, makes me a little nervous. The 701 battery is brand new, is it big enough to get the job done?

953 nut

I consider the welder method to be safer. Attach a scrap piece of metal to the shaft and the ground to the sleeve and burn a couple rods on the scrap at 125 amps and the rust will heat to the point of being dust. As it cools you can melt some wax between the two parts to lube it.

• Like 2

UncleJerm76
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I consider the welder method to be safer. Attach a scrap piece of metal to the shaft and the ground to the sleeve and burn a couple rods on the scrap at 125 amps and the rust will heat to the point of being dust. As it cools you can melt some wax between the two parts to lube it.

I only have a mig :unsure:

Edited by UncleJerm76

953 nut

I never tried it with a mig but if it is a high amperage unit I guess it will work. Current flow through high resistance will produce heat and that is what we are going after.

• Like 1

UncleJerm76

It's a 170 amp, I'll try first it over the battery method, which honestly does scare me a little. I've had batteries explode before and it isn't fun.neither is the mess it makes. Thanks for the awesome suggestion @gwest_ca and @953 nut.

• Thanks 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard

heat it up cherry red then spray it until cool with water until cool to touch. you may have to do this couple of times. then use a airhammer and it should pop right out. Taryl Dactal did one for me last year on the 502 wheel horse.heating and rapidly cooling it will turn the rust into dust

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Like 1

UncleJerm76

This 701 is fighting me - it just doesn’t want to let go of that rock shaft. I tried above suggestions & welded a bunch of lines @ 170A, saw no puffs of dust & wouldn’t budge. Then soaked all entry points two times a day with PB Blaster and tried the air hammer, no go. Heated it up with torch and put water on it, stil stuck. Guess last thing to try is fabricating a puller bracket to get it off.

GREYGHOST

You guys suggesting that current method scare me, and I'm just sitting here waiting to shoot at our state shoot, and there's severa ways to get hurt here. Ive never owned a 701, so I'm wondering if by using a rivet gun or an impact gun with mild air pressure and work along the shaft along with BLASTER or any other good rust penetrating fluid, might break itdown loose?? 

Have you guys really used the current method before?? I bet that would make a heck of a YouTube video.n

UncleJerm76

Can you guys believe im STILL working on getting this rock shaft removed! Pulling my hair out. I'm about to the point of welding together a homemade puller just to pull these two pieces apart. Ive literally tried all your suggestions several times, including the welder and even battery (desperate times call for desperate measures!) ...any others?

Edited by UncleJerm76
  • Sad 1

CasualObserver
4 hours ago, UncleJerm76 said:

any others?

Just paint it where it is. :hide: Sounds like a nextguy problem to me. :lol:

• Like 2

WHNJ701

why are you taking it off?

UncleJerm76

😂, no not for paint, I need to remove my manual lift and install a new rock shaft for my HY-2 lift!

• Like 2

ericj

Find a replacement and cut the old one out if that's an option

Eric j